Re-Skins. Doing something wrong but what exactly!

General Trainz discussion and questions.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Re: Re-Skins. Doing something wrong but what exactly!

Post by Nexusdj »

The error that your getting "Bitmap format not supported" is that being generated in Trainz CMP when your committing the reskin or is Gimp / images2tga generating that error ?

I'm trying to replicate the error with texture files and CMP to see where your going wrong but so far saving a compressed TGA or a BMP saved as o/s 2 generates red errors but not with that specific wording .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
greeni
Past 750!
Trainz Version: TRAINZ22PE
Trainz Build: 123799
Author KUID: 174088

Post by greeni »

Are you keeping the texture the right size as original. ?
signalnorth
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: 2009

Post by signalnorth »

ok well I've sussed it with TGS's . All well with those, but BMP files are defeating me.

Not sure what I am doing wrong there.

Hmnnn
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Bitmaps : make sure when you saving that they are being saved as "windows" bmp and not OS/2 .
Not sure if Gimp has any extra options for bitmaps but Paintshop has additional options for encoding which needs to set to "RGB" .

If the original texture was a .tga and then you decide to save it as .bmp then you will need to change the texture entry contained in the corresponding texture notepad file from .tga to .bmp (see below)
Texture notepad file highlighted

when opened you need to change the entry marked from .tga to .bmp , save then close .

As Greeni previously stated you also need to ensure that you haven't altered the size of the texture , If the original was 1024x1024 then it needs to saved with that size , This is important to keep the mapping of the textures correct on the mesh , If you feel the need to resize it maybe to add extra detail then it needs to be a power of 2 using a combination of these sizes only : 2,4,6,8,16,32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048,4096 etc. So a 1024x1024 texture could be enlarged to 2048x2048 but not 2048x1024 as you'll distort the texture , If the original was 1024x512 then you could go up to 2048x1024 or down to 512x256 or even 128x64 etc.

Note though that a change in size will change the original texture detail , Going up will introduce additional lines in the detail as the graphic program fills in the additional space by analysing the existing pixel colours . Going down in size will remove some of the finer detail .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
signalnorth
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: 2009

Post by signalnorth »

Thanks for the reply! I like to use GIMP because of the airbrush facility

I'm definitely saving as a windows bmp and the sizes are the same.

When I try to commit at CM I get this message.

unable to load source hash-d6/tempb8rdab014/ class 40_125_body / 40.125 convert-tex' subst 'local'
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Not sure if it's the same issue but I get that error when I try and use a .bmp with an alpha channel. If the original .tga has an alpha channel, you'll need to separate it out into a separate file
James M, creator of the
network