Steam hacked or possibly broken 25-12-2015

General Trainz discussion and questions.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Steam hacked or possibly broken 25-12-2015

Post by Nexusdj »

Steam is currently under a DDos attack or has been hacked or is broken by some other means .
I tried logging in earlier and found the steam store in dollars with the install steam green button visible at the top even though it had my correct steam user name . Closed steam and tried again and then the shop was in Spanish !! Went to access my details and was presented with another users account purchase list along with their email address and the last four digits of their stored credit card and mobile number .

Since then these threads on twitter and the steam forums have appeared with Steam claiming that they haven't been hacked but other sites claiming it is part of a DDos attack against Steam , EA Games , PSN and the minecraft servers .

https://twitter.com/search?q=steam+hack ... r%5Esearch

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/f ... 478327/#p1

I know most on here will be a user of Railworks and other games plus there are a few users who have Trainz via steam .
I'll be changing the email associated with my account on steam as soon as its back up and running as I wont know if someone else has seen my account details page !
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: Steam hacked or possibly broken 25-12-2015

Post by clam1952 »

Sounds like another good reason to keep clear of anything to do with Steam. Lot of people panicking on various sites!
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran

Post by Nexusdj »

Its back up and running now though there hasn't been any official announcement from steam yet as to what actually happened . There was a post from a forum moderator that steam hadn't been hacked and that credit card and mobile numbers wouldn't of been fully seen , yet there are various posts from users to say that they have screen grabs showing other users full address , email , credit card and mobile numbers . This seems to have affected only those who have opted to store their credit card details on the site after making a previous purchase !
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

I'm not going to worry then. I never store my card details on third party sites in case just such a thing happens.
DavidBrown
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 57898
Author KUID: 475970

Post by DavidBrown »

Wasn't just Steam that was targeted - two people I know who play FIFA Ultimate Team on EA's servers had their accounts hacked and bank accounts emptied. Clearly there has been some sort of major cyber attack on multiple servers. Amazed that it's not something that's made the news - it's one of the biggest cyber attacks that I'm aware of and surely the more publicity it gets, the more people can do to protect themselves.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Haven't used my Steam account for years and never bought anything on line anyway and wouldn't from them, so they are not going to have any details, don't think they required anything other than a log in in those days as it was just a DRM setup not an attempt to monopolise the Games retail market!

This doesn't exactly inspire confidence either from here: https://www.hackread.com/steam-hacked-c ... -accounts/

Earlier this month, Valve vowed to protect users’ account after acknowledging that there are 77,000 Steam accounts hacked each month. However, the ongoing situation seems otherwise.

At the moment, Valve has shut down the Steam store (hopefully until the issue is resolved) but it will be interesting to see what really happened.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran

Post by Nexusdj »

Luckily I don't store my credit card details on there and I've now changed the email associated with the account . I'll be monitoring the spam filter for the old email address to see if there's a spike in spam .

I take note though that I cant seem to access the community forums , Not sure if its related ?
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran

Post by Nexusdj »

Valve have finally admitted that Steam came under a DDOS attack on Christmas day !!

http://www.zdnet.com/article/steam-conf ... r-details/
blackwatch13
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TRS 2019
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 222042

Post by blackwatch13 »

I wouldn't touch Steam with your bargepole, let alone mine.
The warnings were out there when I first started with 2004, there have been nothing but
stories of woe about Steam on the AURAN forums ever since.
People keep moaning about N3v & DRM, what the hell do you think Steam is all about ???? ;)
Tane SP3 build 94916 + SnC & Duchess
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Somebody must've been sulking big time on Christmas day then because the BBC website, amongst others, fell victim to a DDoS attack as well. Someone was looking to get their own back on half the World by the sounds of it :lol: Perhaps Father Christmas passed them by for being naughty and they wanted revenge! :o

Dave