Is it worth getting into payware?

General Trainz discussion and questions.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: Is it worth getting into payware?

Post by clam1952 »

Don't think you can rely on Windows logs as proof one way or the other as they are often deleted to save space, for example Windows Clean up can delete all but the last restore point if you so choose.
Isn't there some proposed legislation that is being looked at regarding disclaimers in software downloads, pretty sure they are intending to apply similar to the sale of goods act on software which currently is able to wriggle out of anything due to the heavy use of disclaimers.
Also don't forget the Data Protection act, if intending to store customer details etc.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

clam1952 wrote:Don't think you can rely on Windows logs as proof one way or the other as they are often deleted to save space, for example Windows Clean up can delete all but the last restore point if you so choose.
That would be the users problem though if they decide to clear their logs entirely. Even if they delete previous restore points, the log will record that they've been deleted.

The log is embedded in the system and not easily accessible to the non tech-savvy. It records everything - times that you log in, turn off your PC, hardware faults, software glitches, etc. Deleting previous restore points only deletes those. It doesn't record the history of whats been going on on their computer from their logs.

In my line of work, one of my main lines of businesses is virus repairs. Its amazing how many customers try to delete their internet history or delete dodgy .EXE files that they've downloaded out of panic/embarrassment and then try to claim that they have no idea where the virus came from. What they don't realise is that I can still see everything they did and see where the virus came, what file it came from and what date and time they got that virus. Unless they clear their actual log file, which the majority of computer users don't know how to do (and even if they do, its still recoverable with unerase software unless they've overwritten the file multiple times with scrambled code), everything they did is visible (this is how most computer criminals are caught out when their computers are seized - they delete files and wipe chat records, etc - but buried deep in their log everything is stored).

When someone takes another person to court, it is up to the claimant to provide evidence of any wrong-doing or negligence. The burden of proof always starts with the claimant until it is able to be switched to the defendant by evidence.

Klambert's defence would still be the same - his instructions advise the user to create a restore point and back-up their data. The claimant would therefore need to provide evidence that this was done.

If a log was produced that demonstrated that they had conducted a restore point, but there was still an issue on the computer after "going back in time", then the claimant would still have a case. If the claimant is unable to demonstrate that they have followed Klambert's instructions, then the claimants case would fail because:

A) The restore point was either not created - hence no log being created.
B) They used something like Ccleaner to clean their log file - and then in that case, it could be argued that if Ccleaner has been installed and/or used after installing Klamberts payware, could it have been that which buggered up their system.

No evidence = no case.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

I used to do repairs as well, more often than not virus and malware removal that was never the fault of the user. Had one guy come back 4 times in two weeks as his kids reinstalled the dodgy file sharing program that I had removed and the parental controls I set up for him and downloaded yet more virus infested stuff resulting in reinfected PC, Sometimes you can't win. I gave up and sent him to PC World. :lol:
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
ScottAS2
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 95078
Author KUID: 306203

Post by ScottAS2 »

clam1952 wrote:I gave up and sent him to PC World.
I know they were annoying, but it's a bit harsh to inflict that on them! ;-)
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

Good god, if they went there, the PC was probably worse after they got it back than it was before it went there :lol: