Please explain Signal 2A types AH, AD AT

General Trainz discussion and questions.
stuartluff
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: Mac

Please explain Signal 2A types AH, AD AT

Post by stuartluff »

Im creating route and wish to use a 2A signal on a spur from the mainline but I don't know which one to use. Im using the Sig 2A BR assets and there are AH AT and AD versions. What does each stand for and what are the differences. I understand the AT is for a terminating line (but don't fully understand why its required) what are the others and how do they work?

Thanks
Peter White
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: TRS22+

Re: Please explain Signal 2A types AH, AD AT

Post by Peter White »

AT signal is as you say Terminating and will only show amber or red. It cannot show green as there are no more signals after it.

AH is a home signal that can display either green or red just like a home semaphore.

AD is a distant signal that only displays amber or green just like a distant semaphore.

Hope that helps.
Peter
stuartluff
Milepost 3

Post by stuartluff »

Peter White wrote:AT signal is as you say Terminating and will only show amber or red. It cannot show green as there are no more signals after it.

AH is a home signal that can display either green or red just like a home semaphore.

AD is a distant signal that only displays amber or green just like a distant semaphore.

Hope that helps.
Peter

Thanks that does help.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Peter White wrote:AT signal is as you say Terminating and will only show amber or red. It cannot show green as there are no more signals after it.

Hope that helps.
Peter
I don't wish to seem like a pedant, Peter, but there is no such colour as "amber" on a railway signal. The term for the colour is "yellow" and it is strictly adhered to by all professional operating staff. Using the term amber will quickly get you severely censured.

Dave
Peter White
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: TRS22+

Post by Peter White »

cyberdonblue wrote:I don't wish to seem like a pedant
Dave
But you are succeeding.

The OP clearly does not understand the vagaries of UK signalling and therefore he got a reply in N3V terminology.
Peter
stuartluff
Milepost 3

Post by stuartluff »

Peter White wrote:
Dave
But you are succeeding.

The OP clearly does not understand the vagaries of UK signalling and therefore he got a reply in N3V terminology.
Peter
I do understand more than you think but I can understand your reasoning as when explained its quite obvious. I was looking at the Asset name as AH, AD & AT expecting the AH to be something like 'Advanced Home' or something. Obviously the A stands for Aspect but for some reason I wasn't seeing it as such.

Isn't yellow more colloquially known as 'Caution' not yellow?
blackwatch13
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TRS 2019
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 222042

Post by blackwatch13 »

Peter White wrote:
Dave
But you are succeeding.

Peter
Actually Trainz (N3V) uses the correct term 'Yellow'. http://online.ts2009.com/mediaWiki/inde ... ass_Signal

Tane SP3 build 94916 + SnC & Duchess
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

stuartluff wrote:Isn't yellow more colloquially known as 'Caution' not yellow?
No, Stuart, I'm afraid it isn't. 'Caution' or a 'Double Caution', when describing a signal state, are terms used by the press and people who have never been told the correct terminology.
Peter White wrote:The OP clearly does not understand the vagaries of UK signalling and therefore he got a reply in N3V terminology.
Peter
Then all the more reason to assist the OP with the correct terminology. Amber is a road traffic signal, not a railway signal.

Dave
ScottAS2
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 95078
Author KUID: 306203

Post by ScottAS2 »

Don't ever change, guys. You are pedants, and I love you for it. :D
Last edited by ScottAS2 on Fri May 26, 2023 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuartluff
Milepost 3

Post by stuartluff »

cyberdonblue wrote:
stuartluff wrote:Isn't yellow more colloquially known as 'Caution' not yellow?
No, Stuart, I'm afraid it isn't. 'Caution' or a 'Double Caution', when describing a signal state, are terms used by the press and people who have never been told the correct terminology.
Peter White wrote:The OP clearly does not understand the vagaries of UK signalling and therefore he got a reply in N3V terminology.
Peter
Then all the more reason to assist the OP with the correct terminology. Amber is a road traffic signal, not a railway signal.

Dave
This thread is going down hill fast haha. Allow me to be a pedant :lol: .... if the term 'caution' is not used to describe the signal state then what is? 'Yellow' is a colour and could mean anything therefore it cannot define a state. :lol:
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

The first thing you learn on the railway is the ABC. Accuracy, Brevity and Clarity. In the event of an emergency there must NEVER be any doubt about the information you are conveying. Therefore you MUST use the accepted terms that are laid down in the rule book.

The terms to describe cautionary signal states are "One Yellow" or "Two Yellows" (never double.) Accurate, brief and clear. Nothing to question or dispute.

Dave