Differential Speedboards

General Trainz discussion and questions.
stuartluff
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: Mac

Differential Speedboards

Post by stuartluff »

After my last thread turned into near anarchy regarding signals I thought I'd risk another thread about differential speed boards. :lol:

Ive found some differential speed boards on DLS (they seem to be the only UK ones) but Im at work and so can't tell you much about them just yet, however I was wondering how they would be implemented within trainz?

Is there an option to actually differentiate between freight and passenger trains or will the AI simply choose the highest line speed? Ive seen a few things in trainz use a trains priority ranking to get round Trainz limitations to help with prototypical scenarios.

One example asset I've found is:
UK Railsign - Speed Limit Differential 20/30 (Large) - DavidBrown
Large speed limit sign for UK use.
Type: Terrain Features | Version: TS2009 SP1 | KUID: <KUID:475970:100245>

Is anyone familiar with these assets?

http://www.railsigns.uk/sect13page3/13_58.gif
DavidBrown
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 57898
Author KUID: 475970

Re: Differential Speedboards

Post by DavidBrown »

Hi Stuart,
Those signs on the DLS are mine. They are scenery only objects, so on their own will have zero effect on train/line speed. You'll need a seperate invisible track speed limit to actually set a limit in game. The way Trainz works means that only one speed limit can be set - differential speeds for different classes of unit simply isn't programmed into Trainz (or at least wasn't - I've been away from Trainz for a little while now but I don't believe it's been hotfixed into TANE). But the fact that the signs are scenery only does have the advantage of you can choose whichever limit you want, so if you're using them on a mainly freight line, then you can set the lower limit, and on a passenger line using MU's you can set the higher one.
Hope that helps!
stuartluff
Milepost 3

Post by stuartluff »

DavidBrown wrote:Hi Stuart,
Those signs on the DLS are mine. They are scenery only objects, so on their own will have zero effect on train/line speed. You'll need a seperate invisible track speed limit to actually set a limit in game. The way Trainz works means that only one speed limit can be set - differential speeds for different classes of unit simply isn't programmed into Trainz (or at least wasn't - I've been away from Trainz for a little while now but I don't believe it's been hotfixed into TANE). But the fact that the signs are scenery only does have the advantage of you can choose whichever limit you want, so if you're using them on a mainly freight line, then you can set the lower limit, and on a passenger line using MU's you can set the higher one.
Hope that helps!

Thanks David. Downloading them now.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

No more arguments Stuart :lol: There's been quite a bit of discussion regarding this topic on the Main N3V Forums over the last couple of years. Here is just one thread. It makes interesting reading if you've got the time. http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthre ... mits+track

Cheers

Dave
stuartluff
Milepost 3

Post by stuartluff »

cyberdonblue wrote:No more arguments Stuart :lol: There's been quite a bit of discussion regarding this topic on the Main N3V Forums over the last couple of years. Here is just one thread. It makes interesting reading if you've got the time. http://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthre ... mits+track

Cheers

Dave

Thanks Dave I'll have a look.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

Russell White released a set of signs which could be set to a wide variety of variables including DMU/HST, 30/40, etc, etc. It was available via his website but I can no longer find it however, like David's they were scenery objects.

Russell seems to have disappeared from Trainz.
Dean_Forest
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TS12 + S&C

Post by Dean_Forest »

There is an invisible speed sign that can be set for differential speeds using the priority function.
stuartluff
Milepost 3

Post by stuartluff »

Dean_Forest wrote:There is an invisible speed sign that can be set for differential speeds using the priority function.
I thought I'd read about that somewhere. I'll have a look again. Thanks