Upgrading - will older assets still work?

General Trainz discussion and questions.
pellet
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 2010, S&C
Trainz Build: 49933
Author KUID: 176287

Upgrading - will older assets still work?

Post by pellet »

I've not played a sim for ages - but the intention is to get it up and running at some point (maybe not just yet, but it's definitely the intention)

I still have TS2010, and if I upgrade to TANE would all of the assets and routes etc I have on 2010 work OK in this version?, or as most of the assets date back many years, would things stop working?

Also, has anyone heard from Gary Green lately? I sent him a Facebook message a few weeks ago, it's very unlike him not to read or reply to it.

Cheers.
Dan Adkins

Please feel free to visit my photo website:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dan700/
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Re: Upgrading - will older assets still work?

Post by Nexusdj »

Gary has moved house and is currently off the net .

In the early days of TANE I had to repair a lot of content , Downloading content from the DLS these days I rarely get any faults showing up . I did have to repair a lot of the class 37 and 47 reskins to get them to work .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Itareus
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 06/TC3/09/10/12/TANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 243828

Post by Itareus »

Dan,

Most assets will work OK and there is a further phase of the asset repair program underway which should sort out most of the fixable problems in the remaining problem assets.

What you MUST check before going to TANE (or TMR) is that your computer is up to the specs required - check out by looking here:

https://www.trainzportal.com/product/vi ... -a-new-era

Chris
pellet
Past 250!

Post by pellet »

Apologies for the severe delay in replying. Many thanks to you both - much appreciated. I purchased TANE very cheaply in a Steam sale around christmas. Now to try and remember how to import everything, get everything working and to try and work out what settings I need to change (and what to put in to the options to enable and disable certain things!), let alone attempting to find all of the heaps of content that has been released since 2010 was rendered obsolete..
Dan Adkins

pellet
Past 250!

Post by pellet »

As I'm not used to something like a sim on digital download via Steam, can anyone advise how it all works, and where the various files are located? I'm used to N3V (or Auran as it was back then!) having its own folder with the game settings and content in files within there. Think I might need a lot of guidance on how to access these, and to import all of my custom content from 2010. I have the S&C content (think I had them from TC3), but I note that there is an update on the settleandcarlisle site that enables these to work in TANE, do I import the existing assets first, or do I install this update prior to importing (I guess it won't import obsolete content?)

Any pointers much appreciated, been a while since I did anything TRS related - and that was just adding in some pointwork :lol:
Dan Adkins

Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

The location of the installation files should be the following on whatever drive you installed steam on (unless you manually configured a different library destination).

Code: Select all

...\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common
davies_mike57
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: 12 SP1
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 102457

Post by davies_mike57 »

Recommend downloading the PEV Tools because some assets may need to be updated and tweaked up to run in later versions of Trainz Simulator. The best asset editor to familiarize with and use is the PEV AssetX 3 tool.
pellet
Past 250!

Post by pellet »

Thanks for that. I'd used some of PEV's software before, but not that one, shall have a look at it.
Dan Adkins