Track priorities

General Trainz discussion and questions.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Track priorities

Post by PFX »

Hello all. A quick question on fast and slow lines here.

On the following diagram, I have a slow terminating line and fast line converging. I want to run a fast and slow in both directions with a & b being one direction and c & d being the other. Would it ever be the case that a & d would be the fast lines? As far as I'm aware, the fast lines tend to be the inner ones, in this case that would be b & c.

Imager
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Re: Track priorities

Post by cyberdonblue »

There's no hard and fast rule that says fast and slow lines have to be positioned in any particular way, Innis. You could have a & b as an up and down fast with c&d as the up and down slow if you wanted to, or vice versa or any which way up you like :D

The only hard and fast rules that apply to train priority are decided by train classification - so you could have a Class 1 on the Slow line taking priority over a Class 6 on the Fast line. Fast and Slow (or Main and Relief) are generally an indicator of the kind of traffic expected to run there because of the maximum available linespeed but there's nothing that says one must be beside the other or in any particular order.

Dave ;)
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

Thanks Dave. I was thinking I'd have to path all my class 1s via the turnouts after the station to get them onto a fast line. Makes things easier now.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Anytime Sir. Glad to be of help

Dave :D
Dean_Forest
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TS12 + S&C

Post by Dean_Forest »

The WCML between Euston and Camden Junction has the fast lines on the outside. North of Camden, they are paired (Up Fast with Down Fast; Up Slow with Down Slow).
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Dean_Forest wrote:... North of Camden, they are paired (Up Fast with Down Fast; Up Slow with Down Slow).
...and Up and Down DC next to the Up and Down Slow lines.

Not sure how it's laid out now but, between Camden and Euston, as well as Up and Down Fast, Slow and DC lines, there used to be arrival and departure roads too (as well as Carriage lines, Carriage sidings and so on.)

Then there was also the "Rat Hole," which I believe is now closed. It was a great experience to work through. So tight you could open the cab windows either side of the loco and touch the walls. Always a relief to get to the other end of it though. In later years, passenger traffic was forbidden through there unless it was an emegency - because passengers were basically stuck in the train. There was insufficient room to open a door wide enough to allow anyone to escape. :D

Dave :D
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

The WCML between Euston and Camden Junction has the fast lines on the outside. North of Camden, they are paired (Up Fast with Down Fast; Up Slow with Down Slow).
I know it's not National Rail, but the Metropolitan Line also does this between Wembley Park and Harrow-on-the-Hill, with fast services on the outside, and all stations trains running on the inside, as well as between Finchley Road and Wembley Park with the slower Jubilee Line in the middle
James M, creator of the
network