Index  •  FAQ  •  Search   •   Register | Login  

It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:45 pm


Last visit was: style=

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Fascination with UK Trainz Content and T:ANE 
Author Message
 Post subject: Fascination with UK Trainz Content and T:ANE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 4:22 am 
Milepost 5
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:24 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Providence, RI, USA
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 533914
Hello everyone. All is well so far as I'm currently reworking my Gramsby Line route. However, I've came to the conclusion that the modern trains in the UK are awesome. Just the infrastructure alone relates to my college major of civil engineering. Railroads of the USA and the UK have fascinated me since I was only 5 years old. Now at the age of 21, I'm almost done with college, with one more year of my undergraduate studies to complete. I have never been to the United Kingdom, but that country is on my bucket list of countries to visit in the world.

Now, I got my first edition of Trainz in 2009 when Trainz 2009: World Builder Edition was released. I had so much fun running trains on those routes that I decided to upgrade to Trainz 2010: Engineers Edition a year later. I currently don't have Trainz 2010 on my computer, but just in case, I still have a disc copy. Currently, I have Trainz 2012 Build 61388 and things are running smoothly, with two routes currently a WIP; The Gramsby Line and The East Bay Transit Authority. I've put a hiatus on my EBTA route for now, focusing on The Gramsby Line for the time being. I mentioned that I would have the route of The Gramsby Line be entirely electrified using the LBSCR Overhead catenary. I realized that those catenary splines were hard to work with and I have stopped using them. For The Gramsby Line, I will be using the 25kv catenary respectively.

Recently, Trainz: A New Era and Trainz Model Railroader 2017 have already been released. That means I've had Trainz 2012 for almost 6 years. The support for TS12 will end soon (or has ended already if I'm wrong) and I'll need to consider upgrading to T:ANE. Is it worth it to upgrade to T:ANE? I will respectively provide my computer specs in this thread if need be. I'm worried that my computer won't handle the amazing graphics that T:ANE has to offer.

I'm proud to say to those who are currently working on routes that are still WIP are awesome. It takes months, maybe a few years for a full route to be completed. It takes time, devotion, hard work, and the love of trains to work on a route. I can truly say that the railway infrastructure in the UK is going to improve ten-fold. However, here in the USA, if President Trump can't get infrastructure improved, the the country is going to fall behind. I mean, there are too many cars already, and thousands more are made each year. However, I would like to travel on one of the famous UK train routes that would ease my mind from the pain of watching the evening news and hearing about another car crash on the highway.

In conclusion, the United Kingdom is my second favorite country. The content creators from around the world who know how to create UK content for Trainz are awesome. From the catenary to the rolling stock, Trainz fans know that the English countryside is beautiful whenever a speeding train passes by at 180mph, soon to be bang on time at it's destination. It brings a smile to my face when I see a train arrive at any destination on time. I hope that when I'm in England, I would love to be either near the White Cliffs of Dover or Brighton Beach, where the Volks Electric Railway continues to run as the oldest electric railway in the world.

I apologize in advance if this has been posted in the wrong place. I'm still new to this forum, but I'm glad to have made plenty of friends here so far. Thank you all for reading this and stay awesome. :D


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fascination with UK Trainz Content and T:ANE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 2:12 pm 
Past 750!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:08 pm
Posts: 907
Location: Southampton, England
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 49922
Author KUID: 688183
Yeah, specs are important. Before T:ANE, all the Trainz series used the same game engine, so if you could run one, you could probably run them all.

Since T:ANE is a completely new (and vastly superior) engine, the requirements are very different, so yeah, post your PC specs here.

One thing I have noticed is that T:ANE will basically eat as much GPU as you can throw at it, and then ask for some more, at least with shadows enabled, so you'll need a reasonably powerful/modern card to run at higher settings

_________________
James M, creator of the
Image
network


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fascination with UK Trainz Content and T:ANE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 5:46 pm 
Forum Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 31, 2014 7:41 pm
Posts: 1084
Location: West Midlands
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP2
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 214658
An upgrade to T:ANE is definitely worth it because it's light years better than Trainz 2012 or any of its predecessors. As James says though, you'll need a sturdy rig to run it. Furthermore, it might be worthwhile holding off to see what the next edition of Trainz brings. It promises some stunning steps forward - but again, I think it'll be more than a bit of a GPU eater.

Cheers

Dave


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fascination with UK Trainz Content and T:ANE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 6:28 pm 
Milepost 5
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:24 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Providence, RI, USA
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 533914
Here are my computer specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Version 10.0.16299 Build 16299
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model HP Pavilion Notebook
System Type x64-based PC
System SKU M1Y22UA#ABA
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-5200U CPU @ 2.20GHz, 2195 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date Insyde F.21, 6/5/2015
SMBIOS Version 2.8
Embedded Controller Version 89.17
BIOS Mode UEFI
BaseBoard Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
BaseBoard Model Not Available
BaseBoard Name Base Board
Platform Role Mobile
Secure Boot State On
PCR7 Configuration Binding Not Possible
Windows Directory C:\WINDOWS
System Directory C:\WINDOWS\system32
Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume2
Locale United States
Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "10.0.16299.192"
Time Zone Eastern Standard Time
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.92 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.16 GB
Total Virtual Memory 6.86 GB
Available Virtual Memory 3.87 GB
Page File Space 960 MB
Page File C:\pagefile.sys
Device Encryption Support Reasons for failed automatic device encryption: TPM is not usable, PCR7 binding is not supported, Hardware Security Test Interface failed and device is not InstantGo, TPM is not usable
Hyper-V - VM Monitor Mode Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Second Level Address Translation Extensions Yes
Hyper-V - Virtualization Enabled in Firmware No
Hyper-V - Data Execution Protection Yes

And my display adapter is Intel(R) HD Graphics 5500

Please let me know if I forgotten anything. I don't know where to exactly find my computer specs. Here are the specs for T:ANE

OS: Windows 7 64bit, Windows 8 64bit
CPU: Intel i5 3330, AMD FX 8350, QuadCore 2,3 Ghz or better
GPU: NVidia GTX 660 or AMD HD 6950 or better, at least 2GB dedicated VRAM supporting DirectX11
Memory: 8GB
Hard Drive: 30GB free space
Soundcard: DirectX-compatible
Internet connection required


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fascination with UK Trainz Content and T:ANE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:08 pm 
Past 750!
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:08 pm
Posts: 907
Location: Southampton, England
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 49922
Author KUID: 688183
That looks to me like a laptop? Since it has a low-power, dual-core ULV mobile CPU and integrated graphics, I suspect that if you try to run T:ANE on that you're gonna have a bad time.

I would be very surprised if T:ANE ran on that at any sort of acceptable performance, since it requires a 3GHz+ Quad core CPU (you have a 2.2GHz Dual-core), and my old PC, which had a Xeon E5450 (An older chip but probably a little faster than yours) and a GTX 570 (which is orders of magnitude faster than the onboard integrated graphics) struggled to run T:ANE well (I could get acceptable framerates with everything set to lowest, and shadows off)

_________________
James M, creator of the
Image
network


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fascination with UK Trainz Content and T:ANE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 7:30 pm 
Milepost 5
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:24 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Providence, RI, USA
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 533914
Mightyena wrote:
That looks to me like a laptop? Since it has a low-power, dual-core ULV mobile CPU and integrated graphics, I suspect that if you try to run T:ANE on that you're gonna have a bad time.

I would be very surprised if T:ANE ran on that at any sort of acceptable performance, since it requires a 3GHz+ Quad core CPU (you have a 2.2GHz Dual-core), and my old PC, which had a Xeon E5450 (An older chip but probably a little faster than yours) and a GTX 570 (which is orders of magnitude faster than the onboard integrated graphics) struggled to run T:ANE well (I could get acceptable framerates with everything set to lowest, and shadows off)


Yeah, it's an HP Pavilion laptop I have. Unless I can buy a new laptop, I will have to run TS12 for now.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fascination with UK Trainz Content and T:ANE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 9:17 pm 
Milepost 5
User avatar

Joined: Sun Dec 12, 2010 4:08 pm
Posts: 62
Trainz Version: TS12/TANE
Trainz Build: 0
Author KUID: 181684
car112 wrote:
Mightyena wrote:
That looks to me like a laptop? Since it has a low-power, dual-core ULV mobile CPU and integrated graphics, I suspect that if you try to run T:ANE on that you're gonna have a bad time.

I would be very surprised if T:ANE ran on that at any sort of acceptable performance, since it requires a 3GHz+ Quad core CPU (you have a 2.2GHz Dual-core), and my old PC, which had a Xeon E5450 (An older chip but probably a little faster than yours) and a GTX 570 (which is orders of magnitude faster than the onboard integrated graphics) struggled to run T:ANE well (I could get acceptable framerates with everything set to lowest, and shadows off)


Yeah, it's an HP Pavilion laptop I have. Unless I can buy a new laptop, I will have to run TS12 for now.


Laptops are generally not the way to go with TANE; unless you can spend a few thousand on a super high spec gaming one, that will be likely very big and heavy.


Offline
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Fascination with UK Trainz Content and T:ANE
PostPosted: Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:55 pm 
Milepost 5
User avatar

Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 2:24 pm
Posts: 50
Location: Providence, RI, USA
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 533914
gds wrote:
car112 wrote:
Mightyena wrote:
That looks to me like a laptop? Since it has a low-power, dual-core ULV mobile CPU and integrated graphics, I suspect that if you try to run T:ANE on that you're gonna have a bad time.

I would be very surprised if T:ANE ran on that at any sort of acceptable performance, since it requires a 3GHz+ Quad core CPU (you have a 2.2GHz Dual-core), and my old PC, which had a Xeon E5450 (An older chip but probably a little faster than yours) and a GTX 570 (which is orders of magnitude faster than the onboard integrated graphics) struggled to run T:ANE well (I could get acceptable framerates with everything set to lowest, and shadows off)


Yeah, it's an HP Pavilion laptop I have. Unless I can buy a new laptop, I will have to run TS12 for now.


Laptops are generally not the way to go with TANE; unless you can spend a few thousand on a super high spec gaming one, that will be likely very big and heavy.


I understand. But, Trainz 2012 is still awesome.


Offline
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 


 Who is online 

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
cron

 
Index  |  FAQ  |  Search

phpBB skin developed by: John Olson
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group