PC curiosity

General Trainz discussion and questions.
rjhowie
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2010

PC curiosity

Post by rjhowie »

Been sussing around to see what the thoughts are on this gaming pc as it is unusually very small for a gaming machine.

MSI Nightblade MIB VR7RD-285UK Gaming PC

I understand you can add an SSD if wished but the interesting thing is the size especially when you see it in a video. Hve seen one in a computer shop and the neatness is eye catching.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Re: PC curiosity

Post by cyberdonblue »

I don't claim to be an expert with computers, although I have built my own on the last 4 or 5 occasions that I've renewed my set up, but looking at the components in this one it strikes me as vastly overpriced. I would also have serious concerns about cooling and airflow in such a compact case. Heat can be a massive problem in a desktop if the airflow is poor and squashing everything together, as they seem to have done with this one, sends shudders down my spine. It can get very expensive when you start cooking your GPU. A few reviewers have said that it also has noisy fans - probably because they're working flat out to maintain a half decent temperature, I suspect.

Paying £1,100 for a computer with an i5 processor, 8 GB RAM and a GTX1070 GPU (some reviews appear to suggest that the basic model comes with a GTX1060) seems way over the top to me. It also only has a 350 watt power supply too, according to one or two of the reviews I've read. All in all, for the price this is on sale for, I would avoid it like the plague and build my own if I were you. For that kind of money you could build something supremely better in every way.

Cheers

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

MSI make good gaming laptops, looks like they are using laptop technology for the CPU cooling and motherboard, from a look around the web it would appear that it's the higher spec model with the GTX1070 that possibly suffers from the heat issue the 1060 is Ok. There is a spare drive bay and an M.2 slot. Bios is apparently limited as in no overclocking etc, just the basics.
Not the sort of thing I'd get due to the restrictive nature of upgrading / replacing anything in future.

Looks like the prices have been inflated somewhat from when they came out but comparable with other high end PC's these days.

Should have looked at Maplins closing down sale could have got 40% off a high end machine, all went extremely quickly as did the Samsung SSD's.
I built a Ryzen setup very cheaply thanks to Maplins going bankrupt!
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
rjhowie
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2010

Post by rjhowie »

Many thanks to you both for the very practical replies. Think I was caught by the size of a pc too mind you!. Anyway appreciate the practical answers and thankfully I do not directly impulse on buying but take my time so just as well and nice to look at but not practical at all. Appreciated views.