Railroad Simulator 2019

General Trainz discussion and questions.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: Railroad Simulator 2019

Post by clam1952 »

Or how about a more satisfactory way of building tunnels instead of having to carve out huge holes in your terrain and then spend an hour hiding them? I'm sure we could build a list of things between us for N3V to consider but they are like politicians. They ask for your opinions, they tell you they are listening and that everything will be different this time. Then when the reality itself dawns it's just more of the same - and more promises of what's "in the pipeline."
Thats easy you make the tunnel portals as trackside scenery items big enough to cover the hole, job done, ;o)

Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

Jacks trainz wrote:I suggested some improvements and I also got asked for my specs.
Why do they need specs for sound? Surely they need specs for graphics and a hearing aid for sound? :P
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

clam1952 wrote:
Or how about a more satisfactory way of building tunnels instead of having to carve out huge holes in your terrain and then spend an hour hiding them? I'm sure we could build a list of things between us for N3V to consider but they are like politicians. They ask for your opinions, they tell you they are listening and that everything will be different this time. Then when the reality itself dawns it's just more of the same - and more promises of what's "in the pipeline."
Thats easy you make the tunnel portals as trackside scenery items big enough to cover the hole, job done, ;o)
That's brilliant Malc. I just wish all of our portal options were like that. I know it's probably not possible but it would be great if the edges of that scenery could be spline like so that it could be expanded or shrunk to fit the job, but I'd settle for altering the physical geography to match a cover like yours Malc.
Briggsy wrote:Why do they need specs for sound? Surely they need specs for graphics and a hearing aid for sound? :P
:? Er... Specs? Hearing aids? Is this British Trainz or have I posted on the Specsavers site in error again? :shock:

Cheers

Dave
davies_mike57
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: 12 SP1
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 102457

Post by davies_mike57 »

Free Trainz Offer Message:
Meanwhile Trainz members (at the time of writing this note on the 16th May 2018),
The N3V team are giving away a free copy of the TS 2009 World Builders Edition Train Simulator (build 44653).
If you want a copy the deal is that you must register one of N3V's newsletters.
Read the details here:
http://ts2009.trainzportal.com/free/
There are some good old routes available with the package and is well worth a downloading a copy.
They will send you a registration key code in your Trainzportal account.
The download RAR file size is about 3 gigabytes.

Cheers Mike Davies.
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

cyberdonblue wrote:
N3V insist on calling their software a simulator, but it is about as close to real train driving as trimming a rose bush is to felling a dozen trees in a forest. The physics are appalling and the game is dragged down further by the in game sound effects.
I imagine being an ex driver, the driving on here must be pretty painful, however I tend to approach driving on trainz, like I do a model railway. It's more about the pleasure of seeing trains go past, than the actual driving. Sometimes there's nothing better than booting up Porchester and Bulls Well and setting up a complex shunting puzzle.

But yes I agree it would be lovely to see some improved driving physics, I'm not asking for a slavish re-creation of the real thing, where you can see every nut and floorboard vibrate, (However if you do want that, try: https://store.steampowered.com/app/7501 ... Simulator/. (At last a simulator that's not US dominated or ridiculously expensive).

In fact it would be good for the driving physics to be a lot more flexible to to the degree that you can implement things like tap changers, field weakening, Mechanical gearboxes and the like, not everything drives like a diesel electric or a steamer. Rumour3 managed to create a functioning gearbox with his Class 105 so it must be possible to create a more universal system that you can apply different drive types too.
cyberdonblue wrote:
With another version of Trainz on the horizon, the same questions arise yet again but the hope very quickly dies when the new stuff arrives on scene. New distractions pull the attention away from the old problems. Yes, the terrain looks lovely but I can't stop an EMU from 75 mph over a distance of a mile and a quarter away (when in reality I could do it in a little less than half a mile with an EP brake - and probably better with the modern brakes.)

Cheers

Dave
Apparently the old Southern EMUs when operating on the air brake, rather than EP would be a bit like that, apparently the airbrakes we're banned from use in passenger service only to be used on ECS moves before they we're banned entirely in their later days.
PFX wrote:I use both sims for different things. TANE is for route creation. The Other Sim is for driving.

Yes, the big downside of The Other Sim is payware. I've probably spent a couple of hundred on it by now but not everyone can or wants to use payware.

I often wonder what N3V take from the official forum. It seems the same grumbles/suggestions pop up a lot so it would be nice if they were to address these. You'll never please everyone but physics is a big thing for a sim and that needs to be fixed.
I will admit if it wasn't for the payware, I would have switched allegiances to the other sim a long time ago. Being a skint student I can no longer afford to pay £20 + for something you used to get for £10. Is it me or did the other sim used to have better value for money? Nowadays what you get is pretty awful, however I do still download stuff from Armstrong Powerhouse.

From a content creators viewpoint, I've got a couple of ideas for projects on the other sim, however I'm worried that someone will release a payware version, shortly after the release of my own free version. I've long contemplated creating the Bromley North Branch, using the excellent EPB available from UKtrains, however knowing my luck shortly after release, someone will release a Charing Cross to Sevenoaks route payware, including the Bromley North Branch.

One of my biggest wishes is for trainz to create some exporters for versions of 3DS max above 2012 or Maya. I'm currently using 2018 and it feels very antiquated to have to have to create something in the latest CAD software, only to have to export it through the 18 year old Gmax. In fact it would be nice for trainz to create it's own trainz materials to use in 3DS max much like Railworks does, it's why in Railworks you can have water running down your windshield or some very advanced reflection effects. If Trainz did that the improvement to quality of content uploaded to trainz would be sevenfold.

Really creating exporters for the latest CAD packages and improving driving physics should be Trainz's number one priority. Otherwise we'll forever be playing catchup.
Last edited by klambert on Sat May 19, 2018 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

As the espec pages on the wiki have been deleted and are now under construction supposedly in understandable english and not techno babble, things may possibly be improving as far as getting things to drive more accurately? one can live in hope!
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

klambert wrote:I imagine being an ex driver, the driving on here must be pretty painful, however I tend to approach driving on trainz, like I do a model railway. It's more about the pleasure of seeing trainz go past, than the actual driving. Sometimes there's nothing better than booting up Porchester and Bulls Well and setting up a complex shunting puzzle.

But yes I agree it would be lovely to see some improved driving physics, I'm not asking for a slavish re-creation of the real thing, where you can see every nut and floorboard vibrate...

...Apparently the old Southern EMUs when operating on the air brake, rather than EP would be a bit like that, apparently the airbrakes we're banned from use in passenger service only to be used on ECS moves before they we're banned entirely in their later days...
I often cringe when I say that I'm an ex-driver because I feel it can be (and probably is at times) taken as arrogance. I don't mean it to be and, like you Karl, I'm not asking for an exact replica of every vibrating nut or bolt. I love Trainz - and again, like you Karl, it is more for the pleasure of watching the images of proper trains (not the modern privateers stuff) gracefully gliding by. I love the creative opportunities of route building in T:ANE and I spend hours enveloped in fictitious and real route creation as the mood takes me. However, work on the real route (Aylesbury - Marylebone) has been put to one side for a while to see if the problems created by N3V with regard to the Protrack will actually get fixed in the upcoming SP3, as promised, or whether we will be told it's going to be sorted in a later patch (which is often the line spouted by N3V when they wish to ignore a problem.)

The old Mark 2f stock with a diesel or electric loco on the front still brings a warm smile to my face because it has character, unlike Branson's plastic Pretendolinos. However, that is my personal preference and I would never wish to deny anyone else theirs. I would, though, like to be able to hear the difference between these trains reflected in the sound available in T:ANE. Currently, two coconut shells being clapped together 10 yards away from a microphone as a sound effect for ALL TRAINS just doesn't cut it for me, and considering the price of the software I think it is rather insulting to persist with it.

On a final note, Karl, the Air Brake on the E.P Units was only ever meant to be used in the event of an E.P failure as a way to keep the service running - although we used to use it from time to time to keep our hand in because it was difficult to master if you didn't practice - and a Unit was permitted to stay in service anyway until such time as it was convenient to either repair it or replace it. This, more often than not, meant running on Air Brakes all day; or at least a considerable proportion of it.

This brake was operated on a single pipe system. In other words, there was only an Air Train Pipe to both charge air pressure throughout the train's braking system AND to initiate a brake application. It was a cheap (and nasty) system and it's major failing was that once a brake application was made it was only possible to apply more brake up to the maximum but not to release it to any degree other than completely. The danger then was that, once the brake had been moved to the release position, the Unit ostensibly had no braking capability at all until a full release of the brake had been achieved and the brake pipe had been recharged. More than one Unit collided with a stop block as a direct result of this system - hence the eventual withdrawal of it. They were in use for a good 40 or 50 years I think. They were replaced because of the advancement in braking systems technology more than any safety concerns though, which is quite worrying when you think about it.

Cheers

Dave
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

klambert wrote:But yes I agree it would be lovely to see some improved driving physics, I'm not asking for a slavish re-creation of the real thing, where you can see every nut and floorboard vibrate, (However if you do want that, try: https://store.steampowered.com/app/7501 ... Simulator/. (At last a simulator that's not US dominated or ridiculously expensive).
I've never seen that before; seems to be a very reasonable price and you can get a DRM-free version.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Diesel Railcar Sim : It's a bit basic at the moment , lots of nice looking first gen DMU's and different tracks to run over but the signalling and trackside scenery is quite basic . They are working towards releasing a route editor (which is more than TSW has got !!) and improving the look of everything . Its one of those sims that its nice to have a run over every now and again to have a break from Trainz but would get a bit monotonous being on it everyday .

As for Trainz 2019 , I'll wait for the early purchasers to start posting their findings before looking at purchasing it , though if this upcoming SP3 for TANE is all that its cracked up to be then I might stick with TANE for a lot longer . It hasn't been that long since I abandoned TS12 and moved over to TANE and to be honest I'm quite liking TANE now and its running fine on my 8 year old computer (still not sorted a replacement PSU for my newer PC) .

As for the other sim and its newer 64 bit sidekick ....
The older sim is slowly careering towards a brick wall as its maker and 3rd party content creators try and stuff as many features into the trains as possible , which is great if that's the only train on the route at anyone time but not so good if you like your routes busy !! Plenty of reports and personal experience that the "Sim has crashed as its run out memory" this being a curse of being a 32 bit program and that additional scripting soon eats up its maximum 4Gb of memory !

As for its 64 bit sidekick the lack of any editors for users and 3rd party creators to do their stuff seem to be slowly strangling the sim . You've only got to look on UKTS to notice the lack of any regularly posted TSW screenshots and to read the comments that most users are getting bored with it . Can't help feeling that its maker dropped the ball in not producing a 64 bit version of Railworks that had backwards compatibility and I honestly think that would of almost killed off Trainz , but thankfully (for Trainz) they went down a different path .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

I've never been tempted to buy TSW. Everything I've seen posted by users seems to indicate it is resource heavy and only runs well on an very high end PC. Mine is a bit like Cher, parts of it are very old and parts of it are very new. Overall though, it runs both TANE and The Other Sim very well.

As for ex drivers sounding arrogant, not a bit of it.

I also look forward to the wiki pages being updated with a layman's explanation of Espec.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

PFX wrote:...Mine is a bit like Cher, parts of it are very old and parts of it are very new...
I've heard that the Science Museum are interested in some of her older parts :shock: I think she's had more refurbs than the old DMUs ever did, but they say many a good tune is played on an old fiddle so who am I to argue? ;)

Cheers

Dave
VernM
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS2010, TS12 T:ANE
Trainz Build: 96000
Author KUID: 30024

Post by VernM »

Been a while since I posted here, so thought I would pop in and put a few bytes worth in this topic...

I asked some searching questions on the N3V forum a week or two ago regarding sound and physics improvements plus maybe remote AI signalling and route setting for the player train. Response from TH and a few of the others was to dismiss it as a wish-list. I didn't see or intend it as that but the over-arching impression was that nothing will change in that department, only the graphics are getting a makeover.

As others have noted, the main appeal of Trainz these days is creating the scenic environment in which to run trains and I normally just plonk myself in a passenger coach to enjoy the ride. I rarely drive because it just gets frustrating when the key elements for the most part belong back in 2004.

It's a shame as there is massive potential for N3V to open up a wider market... MSTS is pretty much end of life, one more significant Win 10 or GPU driver could finish. A hardcore group cling to Open Rails but last time I tried it there were still significant issues with typical British features, such as vacuum braking and sequencing of semaphore signals. TS20xx has the graphics and generally good sound, at least where third parties or the likes of Armstrong Powerhouse get involved. However it was never really all that user accessible or friendly for casual third party route building (awful terrain texturing system comes to mind) and DTG have not gone out of their way to remedy that. Don't get me started on the mess that is TSW... Each time I fire up GWE thinking it might have improved and end up quitting after ten minutes.

So I plod on with my route building in Trainz. Currently trying to conjure up something to run the excellent Caledonian and NBR rolling stock. Originally it was going to try and be a genuine pre-grouping period piece but I chucked that in the two difficult basket. It's now getting a heritage railway style which has the advantage you can run whatever you like on it. There's also little point starting anything too major should TRS2019 turn out to be the Trainz version that actually hits the spot on release... :)
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

The response from TH doesn't surprise me in the least, Vern. I've asked the question many times before about why we, the every day users of Trainz, seem to be able to see the huge potential that it has but for some reason the big-wigs at N3V seem to think we're asking for the moon. Is it really so hard to remove the clacking coconuts from the track sounds and replace them with something a little more authentic? Is it really so hard, even with the small team of N3V's software writers, designers or whatever, for them to stop for one minute and consider the physics of something they laughingly want to call a simulator? The team can't be that small anyway if they're working on a new project AND maintaining T:ANE with it's annoyingly inherent problems. Why are we classed as moaners or troublemakers when all we ask is that an embarrassing 15 year old sound loop is removed and replaced with something else even if it's only marginally better? (Oh and the removal of the rusty buffer sounds from any or all passenger rolling stock!)

When interlocking towers first appeared Nexusdj and I had a drawn out row with TH and others on the main forum over the way interlocking towers worked because it obsoleted all of the Snowsignal based British signals. TH's first reply to my complaint was, "Tough!" After more than a few cross words, some sort of truce was eventually reached and Dave (Nexusdj) got together with Andi Smith (R.I.P) to try and resolve the matter with a new script or something. I'm still not 100% sure what the end result was but I'm told interlocking towers are now compatible with British signals, though I've never tested the statement. However, N3V themselves didn't want to know about a resolution and I personally have never forgotten TH's couldn't care less response. And therein lies the problem. Whenever there is something basic that requires more than the simplest of efforts to resolve, N3V look the other way or tell us that the matter is not high on their list of priorities - or worse still they just tell us, in one form or another, to basically p*ss off. If the community don't find a solution then nobody does. In the words of Metallica, "Sad but True!"

Cheers

Dave
Jacks trainz
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2022
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 672927

Post by Jacks trainz »

The latest railroad 2019 newsletter had this screenshot attached:
Light.png
Looks very much like Penzance to me. Could this possibly be a built in route. Looks rather nice to me. Graphics do look better in my opinion but this of course does hark back to wheather the physics and sounds are better.

Jack,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VernM
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS2010, TS12 T:ANE
Trainz Build: 96000
Author KUID: 30024

Post by VernM »

That is definitely Penzance!

Shiny...

Just needs a Wizzo or Warship on the front of those Mark Ones, rather than the tea maker.