Northern Belle Reskin

General Trainz discussion and questions.
car112
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS19
Trainz Build: 116313
Author KUID: 533914

Northern Belle Reskin

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone. I've recently discovered that there are MK2 coaches that are in the Northern Belle livery. Also, there is a Class 47 Diesel that has the same livery.

I was wondering if it is possible for me to reskin a Class 90 to have the Northern Belle livery. I don't have much experience in reskinning, but if someone has the expertise on it and is able to help me reskin, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you and stay awesome.
Jacks trainz
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2022
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 672927

Re: Northern Belle Reskin

Post by Jacks trainz »

Best thing to do first is to get permission from the author of the class 90 asking to reskin before you do anything. Normally contact information can be obtained from the config file. I would not advise reskining without permission.

If you do get permission to reskin you will need some form of image/graphics manipulation program. I'd suggest gimp (free to download) or Photoshop if you can afford it.
You will also need to find yourself some textures to use to help produce the livery chosen.

The next part from that will be to edit the textures used. These files can be found in and asset by opening the assest up with explorer in content Manager.

You will then need to learn to use the image manipulation program you have chosen to start to reskin the textures. Good reskins can take a while, so patients is key.

Jack,
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Jacks trainz wrote:Best thing to do first is to get permission from the author of the class 90 asking to reskin before you do anything. Normally contact information can be obtained from the config file. I would not advise reskining without permission.

If you do get permission to reskin you will need some form of image/graphics manipulation program. I'd suggest gimp (free to download) or Photoshop if you can afford it.
You will also need to find yourself some textures to use to help produce the livery chosen.

The next part from that will be to edit the textures used. These files can be found in and asset by opening the assest up with explorer in content Manager.

You will then need to learn to use the image manipulation program you have chosen to start to reskin the textures. Good reskins can take a while, so patients is key.

Jack,

Thank you. I just realized that the Northern Belle only uses Class 47 Locomotives. However, I see that this method can be used for other trainz assets. Thank you for providing this helpful information.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Cheaper than Photoshop is Paintshop Pro which is just as good for Trainz stuff, never could get on with Gimp, it's weird, lol.

Free there is also paint.net has layers etc so also highly usable https://www.getpaint.net/
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Was about to suggest Paint.net myself, I find it much easier to work with than gimp

Course, I use Fireworks myself for reskinning, but Paint.net is good for opening and working with .tga files
James M, creator of the
network
Shippy2013
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61383

Post by Shippy2013 »

I too use paint.net. Find it easy to use and the layers options allows more flexibility. Also out of all the free software I’ve tried is the only one that doesn’t pixaliate writing to much when an image is shrunk.

Also down load a few Trainz tools off the web. PEV Mesh viewer etc these allow you to check progress without having to view in railyard or surveyor. Search PEV on the web I think it’s Shaneturners web site he has lots of tools.
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Thank you everyone for your replies. I do indeed have paint.net and I'll sure to ask permission first before I reskin anything from Trainz. I also have the PEV Mesh viewer as well.

Keep up the good work everyone and stay awesome.