TransDEM support thread

General Trainz discussion and questions.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Re: TransDEM support thread

Post by cyberdonblue »

davidbird wrote:...The branch once continued as the LNWR line to Ashbourne and Uttoxeter, where it joined the (still active) Derby-Stoke line...
Yes I traced it as far as Ashbourne and then spent an hour trying to find the other end of the tunnel in the town :lol: Once I found that I was on the trail again and found out that it went to Uttoxeter. I believe the old branch line from Duffield was originally supposed to head out that sort of way too but it seems that the money men pulled the plug on it when one of the competing railway companies of the time opened the Matlock route that I'm working on. That's why the Duffield branch ends in the middle of nowhere really (with all due respect to the people of Wirksworth, of course.) It makes me feel a bit like a kid in a sweetshop with all these options :lol:
Marky7890 wrote:Topic updated and made a sticky thread.
Thanks Mark. I think trying to start a completely new thread might have killed the momentum.
pfx wrote:Dave, I work under 'right to roam' legislation so you aren't stepping on my toes at all and I don't normally carry my shotgun unless there's sheep worrying going on. Also, I'm not sure I'd progress what I have (Sheffield - Manchester) as I'm playing with a couple of other routes at present with which I'm more familiar. I'm more than happy for anyone else to have the Sheffield - Manchester route if it would mean it seeing the light of day.

Cheers,
Innis
I don't think I could worry a pigeon these days, Innis, never mind a sheep :lol: . I would love to take that route on but it would be an altogether massive project to add it on to what I've started and insane to try and do so at the moment but... :lol: (...never say never.)

Cheers

Dave
paulper
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450
Author KUID: 148527

Re: DEM request

Post by paulper »

robd wrote:Must be doing something right with TransDEM and LIDAR 2m DTM data, much to my surprise I've managed to get this in to T:ANE SP3 (Release Assertions 94217)

It's Llangollen, Wales.
Hi there,

I thought I'd dig out TransDEM again after reading this thread. I've managed to use the LIDAR DTM data but I can't crack a detailed overlay like in the post above (either aerial or map). I go to Rastor Map > Map Tile Servers and use MS Bing as map source (Google orthophoto doesn't seem to work). I click Get Map and it appears but after exporting this and then importing into TANE it comes up as a few blobs of black and white. Any ideas?

Also, anyone know how to set the default to 'Ordnance Survey Great Britain 1936' which I assume needs to be the coordinate system when importing the .asc files?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
demobbed
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94217

Post by demobbed »

paulper wrote:I thought I'd dig out TransDEM again after reading this thread. I've managed to use the LIDAR DTM data but I can't crack a detailed overlay like in the post above (either aerial or map). I go to Rastor Map > Map Tile Servers and use MS Bing as map source (Google orthophoto doesn't seem to work). I click Get Map and it appears but after exporting this and then importing into TANE it comes up as a few blobs of black and white. Any ideas?
Sounds like you need to install the Transdem ground textures CDP. These are usually found in *:\Ziegler-Tools\TransDEM-Ground-Textures.
paulper
Milepost 5
Trainz Build: 119450
Author KUID: 148527

Post by paulper »

demobbed wrote:
paulper wrote:I thought I'd dig out TransDEM again after reading this thread. I've managed to use the LIDAR DTM data but I can't crack a detailed overlay like in the post above (either aerial or map). I go to Rastor Map > Map Tile Servers and use MS Bing as map source (Google orthophoto doesn't seem to work). I click Get Map and it appears but after exporting this and then importing into TANE it comes up as a few blobs of black and white. Any ideas?
Sounds like you need to install the Transdem ground textures CDP. These are usually found in *:\Ziegler-Tools\TransDEM-Ground-Textures.
Thank you - that had a limited positive impact on maps being imported - no change with the aerials.

Paul
robd
Past 100!
Trainz Build: 122418
Author KUID: 345264

Post by robd »

paulper wrote:
robd wrote:Must be doing something right with TransDEM and LIDAR 2m DTM data, much to my surprise I've managed to get this in to T:ANE SP3 (Release Assertions 94217)

It's Llangollen, Wales.
Hi there,

I thought I'd dig out TransDEM again after reading this thread. I've managed to use the LIDAR DTM data but I can't crack a detailed overlay like in the post above (either aerial or map). I go to Rastor Map > Map Tile Servers and use MS Bing as map source (Google orthophoto doesn't seem to work). I click Get Map and it appears but after exporting this and then importing into TANE it comes up as a few blobs of black and white. Any ideas?

Also, anyone know how to set the default to 'Ordnance Survey Great Britain 1936' which I assume needs to be the coordinate system when importing the .asc files?

Thanks in advance,
Paul
To achieve that I simply followed Rolands instructions. It's beyond my capabilities/memory/inclination to give you a detailed record of how I did that but I'm sure you can work it out for yourself - old thick me did, and that definitely puts it into anybody's skill range!! If you manage that bit then you've done the easy bit, actually creating a detailed route/layout from that easy beginning is the hard part!

Sorry, can't be more helpful than that!

Rob.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

I'm back again, scratching my head over TransDEM. :? :D

I've discovered that I've got a DEM that's a left over from some messing about that I did some considerable while ago when trying to learn a bit more about TransDEM and it's dawned on me that a tiny portion of it could be very handy for my current project. I had previously assumed (there's that dangerous word again) that the old Midland main line would approach Manchester Central from pretty much the same direction as the Piccadilly road. Big mistake! As a Class 1 idiot (and getting better at it by the day it seems) I subsequently learnt that there were in fact TWO old ways that the Midland mainline used to follow into Central and neither of them follow anything like the current route into Piccadily. This left me with rather a large "corner" missing from my DEM and, whilst not an insurmountable difficulty, a somewhat awkward bit of fiddling and cheating to try and remedy the situation is required. However...

As I said, I have discovered that a small part of this old DEM contains the information that I would love to use. The trouble is, the complete DEM covers part of the North Midlands and half of the North West of England. It would bury my current work completely. I've traced the routes that I've researched onto the DEM using the simple route editor and I was wondering if there is any way I could crop the old DEM so that I'm just left with the bit that I want; namely these newly traced routes. I've tried all sorts but I can't get the crop tool to do anything as far as I can see. Does anybody know if this is even possible or am I just piddling into the wind? :shock:

As usual, any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers

Dave
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Post by Marky7890 »

When I want to add some dem onto existing parts of a route I extract the whole area as a new trainz route, then manually delete the base boards in Trainz that would overlap, then save it so you are left with just the part you need. Then you can merge it with the main route.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Yeah, I've done that myself before now, Mark, but it would involve deleteing about three quarters of a million boards in it's current state (slight exaggeration - half a million perhaps :lol: ) and I thought, rather than start all over again, why can't I crop out the bits that I don't want and then add the little bit that I'm left with to my overall DEM? It would add on just nice too. ;)

Cheers

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

You can crop it in Transdem, as in only export the required boards.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

How do I do that, Malc? I've totally run out of ideas (as I'm sure you won't be amazed to hear :? )

Cheers

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

If you are exporting based on the route, just delete the route lines for the part you already have you already have in Transdem or Just use the Simple Route Editor editor, highlighted blue button right of centre in screenshot and roughly draw lines corresponding to the route and or additional bits you might need to add then export based on the route. Handy way of adding additional boards doesn't have to actually be the route or any route, then just export the dem with the usual whatever tiles either side as a new route then merge with the original in Trainz.

Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

I'm happy to report that everything has worked out fine. Many thanks once again Malc. Yet again you've got me out of a frustrating conundrum. I learnt something new once more (or rather relearnt something that my sieve like brain had long forgotten :roll: . I wonder how long I'll retain it this time :lol: )

Anyway, thanks to all who offered help. Maybe I can show you some positive results soon.

Cheers

Dave
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Apologies for the double post.

In the army and on the railway, one of the most common sayings was, "Assumption is the mother of all f*** ups." It made sure you double checked everything without taking what you thought was the obvious for granted. It saved no end of work (and quite a few lives too) in the long run. If only I'd remembered that saying when I was merrily playing with TransDEM.

The lighter stuff crawling up the picture diagonally is about a third of my original work. Everything dark in the top left corner of the picture is what I have had to go back and obtain before exporting it into T:ANE and then merging it with my original stuff.

And all because... (no, nothing to do with Cadbury's Milk Tray :D )... I assumed I knew which way my route would go between Stockport and Manchester. After much head scratching and turmoil, thankfully everything is back on track - no pun intended - and I can start to tidy things up and move on. The add on has merged in beautifully (after a little trimming), as you can see, so I'm a happy soul once more. What a blessing TransDEM is when you get it right.

Thanks to all who offered advice. It was really useful.

Cheers

Dave
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Post by Marky7890 »

It seems the LIDAR data has been moved to here:

https://environment.data.gov.uk/DefraDa ... ode=survey

Took me a while to find it and work out how to use it. You need to zoom into the area of the map you need data for then under the upload option on the right is a polygon icon use this to draw around the area that you want to download once you have the polygon around the area you need double click then download links should appear on the right to download the data.

Mark
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Cheers Mark. I think that sounds a bit more straightforward but without actually trying it I wouldn't swear to it :lol:

Cheers

Dave