TransDEM support thread

General Trainz discussion and questions.
Jacks trainz
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2022
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 672927

TransDEM support thread

Post by Jacks trainz »

Good afternoon,

I was just wondering if anyone out there with a copy of transdem could help produce me some DEM for a route I'm creating.

I've had a good go at trying to use transdem, but I just can't master it.

I was wondering if anyone could possibly produce me a bit of DEM from Bishop's Lydeard to Minehead (West somerset railway) with a basic os or Googe map on the terrain.

Thanks in advance

Jack,
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Re: DEM request

Post by cyberdonblue »

I doubt I'd be much use to you, Jack. I haven't touched TransDEM since I put down the base for my own project 12 months or more ago. Seeing your plea reminds me that I must go back and see if I can remember how to use it myself. I can't even remember where to get all the necessary information from to create anything at the moment :(

Cheers

Dave
Jacks trainz
Past 100!

Post by Jacks trainz »

Thank you for your reply Dave.

I did have a good myself, after finding where to obtain DEM data. My copy of transdem is old, I never paid to update it. I think this is where I'm having so many issues in creating a map.

Perhaps I'll update transdem and have another go. Wheather that'll work, time will tell.

Regards

Jack,
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

It's definitely a great tool to have Jack (assuming you can learn - and remember - how to use it, of course :? ) and well worth the money. I've recently been messing about with an old fictional route that I originally started putting together in Trainz 2012. It's completely flat, and feels so alien because of that, that it took me an age to feel comfortable messing with it again. Flat baseboards just don't compare to the fun of undulating terrain - not even for a fictional route. Good luck in your quest, Jack.

Cheers

Dave
Jacks trainz
Past 100!

Post by Jacks trainz »

I completely agree Dave! Flat routes just feel very unrealistic. I worked with some DEM about a year ago. A Friend had stop using trainz and had created some DEM of the riviera line which he kindly shared with me. I started having play with that, and got a fair way through building up the route.

I'm fine once I've got the DEM its just the creation of the Dem I can't seem to master!

Cheers

Jack,
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Post by Marky7890 »

With newer versions of TransDEM you can even export the DEM directly to Trainz route files, no more having to go through HOG. Then just import into Content Manager. Environment Agency data is useful too if its available in the area, much higher resolution (2 metres) than the old US DEM maps (10m) So Embankments and cuttings get mapped too, So it takes quite a while to import their data due to having to resave each section in DEM format then joining them all together.

Mark
Jacks trainz
Past 100!

Post by Jacks trainz »

Thank you for your reply mark,

I think I will definitely look at a newer copy of transdem. Looks like I've got some learning ahead!

Regards

Jack,
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Marky7890 wrote:Environment Agency data is useful too if its available in the area, much higher resolution (2 metres) than the old US DEM maps (10m) So Embankments and cuttings get mapped too, So it takes quite a while to import their data due to having to resave each section in DEM format then joining them all together.

Mark
How would I go about doing all that Mark? I'd appreciate a few instructions to point me in the right direction, if you wouldn't mind. I opened TransDEM about an hour ago and just sat there looking at it :shock: :? I can't even remeber where to start. I know I've got to find a site where the all the required map info is but I can even remember how I did that - or at least, my efforts to do so again have failed miserably cos I'm obviously doing something wrong somewhere. I've looked at USGS and one or two more but I've ended up feeling like I'm drowning. Heeeeellllllp! I feel so idiotic!

I must have a look on Amazon and see if they've got anything that recharges ageing brain cells (even recharging one of them would do for now! It might be a bit much expecting to recharge both of them in one go really ;) )

Cheers

Dave

P.S. I had to do Aylesbury - Marylebone in two sections and then join them together so I know I've done it before somehow. It's just pointing TransDEM at a site to download (and exactly what format to download) that's baffling me at the moment. :cry:
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Post by Marky7890 »

The data has to be downloaded outside of Transdem.

The two main sources are:

https://dds.cr.usgs.gov/srtm/version2_1/SRTM3/Eurasia/
This is the old 10m data which is available throughout the world, not very detailed but you get a general idea of hill heights etc, which is saved in large areas as a HGT file which can be imported into TransDEM. The files on the server are named by Latitude and Longitude values, this map should help you find the one you need: https://www.mapsofworld.com/lat_long/un ... -long.html

The other souce is data from the Environment Agency https://environment.data.gov.uk/ds/survey/index.jsp
This is more detailed at 2m resolution, allowing more details like cuttings, embankments, rivers heights to be mapped, although isn't available everywhere. Although Transdem does have a way to fill in the missing bits with the 10m data.
For this data you click on the location on their map, each square is split into several downloads which appear below the map The data you want is the first option (LIDAR Composite Digital terrain model), each square is split into 4 quarters, when you highlight the download link at the end of the filename will be which corner it is for (sw, se, nw or ne), So the top left quarter of the selected square for example will be nw (North West).

Once you have downloaded the file you need each zip file will contain several ASC files depending on the coverage of the area, each file 1km x 1km.

In order to join these ASC files together they need to be opened in Transdem then be saved as DEM files.

I will write how to join them tomorrow, as I'm not on my main pc right now.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

You forgot the OS Terrain 50 data, need that if the Lidar doesn't cover the required area. https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/busine ... in-50.html, a lot more accurate and higher resolution than that USG thing ;o)
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
robd
Past 100!
Trainz Build: 122418
Author KUID: 345264

Post by robd »

Hi,

I note the link to the Environment Agency Survey above but the maps appear to be coverage for England only.

Please, are there equivalent agencies for Wales and Scotland and do you have links to them if they exist ?

Thank you,

Rob.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

I was just about to say the very same thing Rob. There's some Scottish LIDAR data (it's far from complete) here https://remotesensingdata.gov.scot/collections though I haven't downloaded any to see if it's useful. Welsh stuff is here http://lle.gov.wales/Catalogue/Item/Lid ... t/?lang=en
Last edited by PFX on Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
robd
Past 100!

Post by robd »

Thanks for the links Innis.

I've just found this for Wales:

http://lle.gov.wales/GridProducts#data= ... iteDataset

The data available is 1m jpeg or ASC and 2m jpeg or ASC.

Is it better to download the 1m ASC data as opposed to the 2m ASC data ? What about the jpegs - any use ?

Thanks,

Rob.

Edit: you beat me to it Innis !
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

Rob, as the minimum resolution is 5m, it won't matter which version you use. I've had a shot at one of the English ones as the Scottish version doesn't appear to work properly and I got a single tile to open no problem.

This might be useful https://forum.transdem.de/viewtopic.php?p=2102#p2102 and there's a little discussion around the English LIDAR data.
robd
Past 100!

Post by robd »

Thanks Innis.

I'm going to try the 1m ASC and jpeg data. My copy of Transdem is not the latest, it's been several years passed since I bought it and I've not bothered with the updates, I'll probably encounter the same problems as you're having in getting the data in to Transdem.

Could try Basemapz (I think, erm I dunno ?) I'll report back with my findings

Rob.