TransDEM support thread

General Trainz discussion and questions.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Re: DEM request

Post by PFX »

cyberdonblue wrote:I'm hoping you mean 2.6 (mine is 2.6.3) cos I can't find a 2.8 anywhere. Am I missing something? :?

Cheers

Dave
Sorry Dave, slip of the fingers. I just upgraded to 2.6.

I asked Roland last night about the 2m DEMs. TransDEM 2.6 can open multiple files and merge them in one go apparently although the best resolution will be 5m as mentioned above.

Cheers
Innis
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

I've been messing with it all day Innis and the top of my head has finally caved in and I've thrown it up a corner. I've reinstalled TransDEM since I used it last and I'm not sure what, if anything, I'm missing. In the Map Source dialogue box I've got Bing and the Environment Agency as two different source options. Then in Tile Type I've got Ortho, Map etc, etc. Then in Tile Type Settings everything is blank. I put in the Url for the Environment Agency (Part 1) but the dialogue box also wants Part 2 Column/Row/Zoom or NE, SW etc and Part 3 says something about Query Postfix. After playing with that lot for half an hour my head finally burst open. Things are that desperate I am now going to watch that pile of excrement they call the England football team. It couldn't get any lower could it? ...could it? :shock:

Cheers

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

I'm yet to try 2.6 and I was disappointed to find the Scottish LIDAR data is no use for TransDEM. Although 5m is the smallest Trainz goes, 2m data will certainly improve on the current 10m data. I need to have a play with some English data to see what the results are like. Are there any interesting routes roughly equivalent to Edinburgh Glasgow?
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

PFX wrote:...I need to have a play with some English data to see what the results are like. Are there any interesting routes roughly equivalent to Edinburgh Glasgow?
If you want a route of that sort of length with some spectacular scenery I'd say something like Sheffield to Manchester via Dore and Totley and over the Hope Valley Line. It's just short of 40 miles (37 or 38, I believe) whereas Glasgow to Edinburgh is closer to about 45, I think. It would test the terrain making abilities of TransDEM anyway but it's an absolutely beautiful route in reality if you ever get the chance to travel over it. I bet it would look spectacular in Trainz too. The old Trans-Pennine stock used to run over there as well as loco and stock but I suppose it's probably dog boxes in multiple (153's) or something equally as crap nowadays.

I've been trying to mess with something a just little further south, funnily enough. The old and largely derelict Midland Mainline from Derby to Manchester via Matlock. Ironically, it has a very large but strange loop line for a quarry in the Buxton area branching off it that actually joins up with the route I've just suggested to you at a place called Chinley. The routes themselves, though, don't join but my Derby - Manchester interest runs pretty much paralell to that Sheffield - Manchester route (a few miles apart) in their later stages from Whaley Bridge onwards. If only I could sort out bloody TransDEM and that LIDAR stuff I'd be really interested in giving it a go. :twisted: It would be very scenic too. A lovely project, but at a distance of nearly 80 miles it would be a big one. Most of it through the Derbyshire Peaks though so that's surely easier than building a trillion houses.

If you do decide on giving Sheffield - Manchester a whirl, I'd love to see the terrain when you get it into Surveyor. It'd be breathtaking, I bet.

Cheers

Dave
robd
Past 100!
Trainz Build: 122418
Author KUID: 345264

Post by robd »

@PFX. I've been playing with some Welsh 2m ASC data in TranzDEM 2.6.3. I loaded about 40+ tiles in to Transdem and I was amazed at how they were stitched together to give one large DEM. One has to ensure that the tiles being loaded are adjacent to each other; because of the way they're numbered some care and trial and error is needed to select the correct tiles for loading, that was the tricky part! Once you get the gist of the tile numbering scheme it's a breeze! Perhaps you're up to speed with that anyway!

@cyberdonblue. The excrement won the game! Sorry - off topic!

Rob.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

robd wrote:@cyberdonblue. The excrement won the game! Sorry - off topic!
:lol: Yes, I see they did Rob. Believe it or not, I am actually an England fan but their dire performances over so many years in these tournaments has beaten me to the ground like a big stick and broken me. I find it very hard to have any faith in them because it nearly always ends the same - bad performances, bad refereeing decisions (like yesterday) or just bad luck. I am currently witnessing my 14th football World Cup and, 1966 aside, I've yet to feel satisfied with what I've witnessed from an England team but I still follow their progress hoping beyond hope... . Apologies all, for straying off topic. :oops:

Anyway Rob, ignoring my slanderous England comments, if you can, is there any chance you might be able to explain to me how you got those tiles into TransDEM? Bearing in mind that I have an aging brain with the knowledge retention capabilities of a gnat, do you think you could send me a PM or an email (I can PM you an address) with a basic outline of what I should have in the settings boxes in order to acquire the tiles in TransDEM in the first place and then how you did things from there? I'd really appreciate your help as I'm almost at the suicidal stage at the moment ;)

Cheers

Dave
robd
Past 100!

Post by robd »

Hopefully England will go on to further success in the World Cup !!!

Dave, you have PM (with my email address only therein)

If you give me your email I will attempt to explain how I got the DEM in to TranzDEM, please bear in mind that I havn't used Tranzdem for nearly eight years now and even then it was trial and error and also, my brain is nearing its 65th birthday!

Rob.
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Don't start me on footy. Scotland stopped playing in 1998.

As for which tiles to load, there is a fairly easy way to find out.

If you open this page https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/openda ... tml#OPMPLC and you see the UK map on the right from which to select your tiles (OS Open Map Local) without too much problem. Once you have files downloaded, open the tile locator map on the same page (this is the link if you can't be arsed https://www.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/busine ... -maps.html).

Again, select the corresponding tile you've just downloaded the data for and you'll get a close up map of the tile as follows.

As you can see, this is split into 100 map squares. These correspond to the 2m tiles so if you are using 10m data, each map tile you download covers 4 of these squares so you need to increase the grid size to work out which tile you need. I've done this in the example below which now gives me the corresponding square of the grids I've downloaded.

I hope this makes sense but if not, I can try to explain further.

Cheers,
Innis
robd
Past 100!

Post by robd »

Thanks Innis, makes perfect sense to me !

Rob.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Aah! I thought it looked a bit familiar. The penny begins to drop :? . All that stuff I read about Raster maps, ESRI's, Vectors and GeoTIFF's etc is beginning to make a bit of sense (not a lot, but some :lol: .) I even found reference to some of my old Aylesbury - Marylebone stuff that the site seems to remember me for using (quite worrying that though. Didn't know they tracked you.) I'm not promising but I might even be able to make some sense of that LIDAR stuff I've got now too. Thanks Innis. That's a great help

Thanks, too, Rob for that info by email. That will be a great help too, I'm absolutely certain of it. You never know, I might even come up with something productive in the next couple of days now. Real life permitting, of course.

Cheers

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Dave,

I've had a bash with the LIDAR data for Sheffield Manchester and without even creating the actual route map, the detail is amazing. The downside is there are fairly large chunks missing but I think TransDEM can fill this in with 10m data. I'll keep working away with it. This is what I got with 2m data. TransDEM is currently working away to fill the gaps with 10m data.

Cheers,
Innis
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

That looks really impressive Innis. Once I can get my head round some of the things that I'm trying to understand properly right now I may well be asking you how to get TransDEM to fill in the gaps with 10m stuff, if that's OK. I've got family visiting from Ireland at the moment so that may well stop much happening tomorrow, at least, but we'll see.

I'd love to see what you end up with once TransDEM has done it's work, though.

Cheers

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

You can insert sections from other data sources like the OS 50 ones, I had to do that with my L&B route as Lidar only covers part of the route.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Filling the gaps is beyond easy with 2.6. All I did was download the 10m data that covers the same area as the LIDAR data, create a 10m DEM then it's a case of clicking on 'fill' in the options. Job done. Roland has excelled with this latest version.
robd
Past 100!

Post by robd »

Must be doing something right with TransDEM and LIDAR 2m DTM data, much to my surprise I've managed to get this in to T:ANE SP3 (Release Assertions 94217)

It's Llangollen, Wales.
Last edited by robd on Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:33 am, edited 2 times in total.