TransDEM support thread

General Trainz discussion and questions.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Re: DEM request

Post by PFX »

Here's a DEM based on LIDAR data of the area between Chapel-en-le-Frith and New Smithby. You can see the embankments and cuttings fairly clearly. I've added a bit of track for visual purposes. It's quite impressive.

cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Looks absolutely brilliant fellers. Very exciting prospects.

Cheers

Dave
robd
Past 100!
Trainz Build: 122418
Author KUID: 345264

Post by robd »

cyberdonblue wrote:Looks absolutely brilliant fellers. Very exciting prospects...
It is brilliant when one manages to get the correct data sets !

Originally I downloaded the Lidar 2m DSM (Digital Surface Model) data as opposed to the DTM (Digital Terrain Model) data from the Wales site and the DSM data gave some unusual terrain effects: trees appeared as spikes, forested areas appeared like the surface of the moon and buildings appeared as lumps and bumps of varying sizes!

I think it would be interesting to see how the DSM data would render if the resolution in T:ANE was 1m, perhaps we would have ready made trees and buildings?

Apologies to the OP, I've drifted off topic somewhat!

Rob.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

My apologies also to the OP for posting this slightly off topic post here. Maybe Briggsy or Marky could chop some of this section off and then open an informal TransDEM thread of some kind to enable people to exchange ideas and creations etc. - much like we have here on Jack's thread.

Anyway, after many hours of playing about, I've finally learnt how to get TransDEM to do all the hard work - though I shouldn't really say ALL. There's a fair bit of marking out before TransDEM puts the track in place. More tedious than tough though.

The route will need a fair bit of tidying up but I have a route, complete with track, from Derby to Manchester via Matlock and Buxton (The old Midland Main Line route through the Derbyshire Peaks.) The two pictures above are of the general Derby area. The first one is looking from Derby station towards the old B.R. carriage works at Litchurch Lane (Litchurchurch Lane is at the very top of the picture with Etches Park Carriage Sidings breaking off to the left.) The second picture is looking from Litchurch Lane back towards Derby station. I originally thought of showing a picture of Picadilly and Longsight C.S. but, at the moment anyway, it looks like a plate of spaghetti exploded somewhere nearby so... perhaps not just yet :lol:

This route is going to take some filling in but the Peak District is beautiful and a great incentive to try and reproduce. However, I still have a 38 mile G.C. route simmering on the back burner that will have to take preference once SP3 is released so this one will be sometime on the workbench yet.

Cheers

Dave

P.S. Many thanks to pfx and robd for their invaluable advice and assistance when I ran into a brick wall (more than :oops: ) a couple of times.
robd
Past 100!

Post by robd »

Looks good Dave, I'm glad you're mastering it. A good idea to have a dedicated TransDEM thread.

Rob.
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Post by Marky7890 »

Maybe I should rename this thread and pin it as decided support thread for Tranzdem?
robd
Past 100!

Post by robd »

I think it would be good but that's your decision. Don't forget that there's good advice and help to be had on the TransDEM forum itself:

https://forum.transdem.de/index.php

Rob.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Marky7890 wrote:Maybe I should rename this thread and pin it as decided support thread for Tranzdem?
Sounds good to me Mark. There's a fair bit already posted here so why not?

Cheers

Dave
davidbird
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 90955

Post by davidbird »

cyberdonblue wrote: ...
The route will need a fair bit of tidying up but I have a route, complete with track, from Derby to Manchester via Matlock and Buxton (The old Midland Main Line route through the Derbyshire Peaks.)
This route is going to take some filling in but the Peak District is beautiful and a great incentive to try and reproduce. However, I still have a 38 mile G.C. route simmering on the back burner that will have to take preference once SP3 is released so this one will be sometime on the workbench yet.

Cheers
Dave
Very interested to hear this Dave. My question is how far east of Derby are you planning? Will I need to extend my "Trent Area" through Spondon to meet up? If you're doing this with TransDEM (without the baseboard offset) and lidar data, it should match up exactly. :D
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

davidbird wrote:Very interested to hear this Dave. My question is how far east of Derby are you planning? Will I need to extend my "Trent Area" through Spondon to meet up? If you're doing this with TransDEM (without the baseboard offset) and lidar data, it should match up exactly. :D
Hi David,

I forgot you were building in that neck of the woods :lol: I've got track down to just east of the Carriage Sidings at Etches Park and up to round about the Pride Park road bridge but I can easily stretch that the extra yardage to the river. That would make matching up a lot easier - especially if I stop short of the river - because it's then on a straight and should meet up beautifully. It's all 2m LIDAR with the gaps filled in with 10m so, as you say, it should fit together nicely.

Cheers

Dave
davidbird
Milepost 1

Post by davidbird »

A long time ago now, I did a TransDEM "bare-bones" route for Steve Zachary - aka Steviez - of the Cromford & High Peak Railway, from the junction with the Midland at Cromford through to Whaley Bridge. Just basebords, with height from whatever I was using before the lidar data was released, map-carrier tile objects with OS 1:25000 images on them but nothing else...

Of course I no longer have it and I know Steve never progressed very far with it, but he may still have it.

I'm not sure if the cable-haulage was ever worked out properly either, but it would fit in nicely with Derby to Manchester.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

I got sidetracked, as it were, a couple of times when marking out the route for the trackwork. I'm sure I'm going to have the same problem again, David, as I work on putting the flesh on the bones in some of those areas because it is just so scenic and the options so plentiful. I nearly got sucked across towards the Hope Valley line after marking out Buxton but I'm trying to avoid any contact with it because pfx has been doing a little bit of work in that area and I don't want to tresspass. There's also a branch heading back southish from Buxton that currently just fades out at a quarry a couple of miles out but its appearance and where it leads to has intrigued me (I lost an hour or so of marking out trying to trace the remains of it on Google Earth ha ha!) I even found out that there's a brewery at Buxton - on this branch line - and I don't think I've ever been aware of that before.

There's so much more to uncover, I'm sure, and I'm certasinly not averse to helping people tie their own projects into mine if they want to. I'm quite looking forward to it all to be honest.

Cheers

Dave
davidbird
Milepost 1

Post by davidbird »

cyberdonblue wrote:...
There's also a branch heading back southish from Buxton that currently just fades out at a quarry a couple of miles out but its appearance and where it leads to has intrigued me (I lost an hour or so of marking out trying to trace the remains of it on Google Earth ha ha!)
Cheers
Dave
That would be the branch to Hindlow, Dowlow & Harpur Hill Quarries, still major producers of limestone for industry. The branch once continued as the LNWR line to Ashbourne and Uttoxeter, where it joined the (still active) Derby-Stoke line. A few miles beyond the current end of the line, just south of Parsley Hay, was where the C&HPR branched off to cross the White Peak and join the Derby-Matlock-Bakewell-Millers Dale-Manchester main line at Cromford, with its rope worked inclines. These two branches are now both popular walking and cycling trails. One of my school contempories was proud to say that he'd been on the last train on the C&HPR, although he didn't remember it, being only 14months old at the time...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViuLR0BkyqM
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Re: TransDEM support thread

Post by Marky7890 »

Topic updated and made a sticky thread.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

cyberdonblue wrote:I'm trying to avoid any contact with it because pfx has been doing a little bit of work in that area and I don't want to tresspass.
Dave, I work under 'right to roam' legislation so you aren't stepping on my toes at all and I don't normally carry my shotgun unless there's sheep worrying going on. Also, I'm not sure I'd progress what I have (Sheffield - Manchester) as I'm playing with a couple of other routes at present with which I'm more familiar. I'm more than happy for anyone else to have the Sheffield - Manchester route if it would mean it seeing the light of day.

Cheers,
Innis