TRS19

General Trainz discussion and questions.
chrisrose1993
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: 2019
Trainz Build: 110394
Author KUID: 299027

Re: TRS19

Post by chrisrose1993 »

Is the driving experience still the same? Its the one thing that kills Trainz for me!
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

robd wrote:The term 'early access' suggests to me that N3V needs to do more testing on TRS19 but they need more beta testers in order to do so, those beta testers will be, albeit unwittingly, recruited by stealth and they will have to pay for the dubious privilege of doing so!
Exactly. Which is very much what happened with TANE.
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

Has anyone ever seen a picture of TH? Is he a real person? I can't help but picture Boris Johnson sat behind a computer typing out a Trainz press release - promising one thing, but delivering another.

In public: "Vote for Brexit and we'll spend all the money on fixing that annoying bug where your train drives into a hovering tunnel in TANE"

To his colleagues behind closed doors: "HAHA those suckers fell for it again! Crack that safe open Theresa - lets spend that money on a great new idea. We'll called it Trainz Railroad 2019 and once its released, all those suckers will play that instead and forget their train ever crashed into that floating tunnel."

robd wrote:Nevertheless, I will wait and see how it pans out and if it gets many favourable reviews then I may purchase when it comes out 'on offer' Rob.
Don't worry, hang on for three years, then it'll be working after installing Service Pack 5 Hotfix 7, and you'll be able to buy it by exchanging 5 tokens from KitKat wrappers once sales have dropped after complaints about it still not working after 3 years or being even more Yankified than ever.
clam1952 wrote:And can we not insult Beta Testers, I have put many hours into testing and submitting bug reports and criticism as have many of the other testers who call it as it is. Testers do not all blindly accept all the new features etc and will point out if something isn't right!
I'm not sure if this is in response to my post - but I can assure you that I certainly had no intention of insulting BETA testers - and I'm really sorry if my post came across like that and upset you. My gallows humour / sarcasm is aimed 100% solely at N3V for their sheer arrogance towards customers and their far-too-overconfident attitude. If Boris / TH worked as the PR guy for any other company, he'd have been fired a long time ago. His arrogance is on another level.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Yes he does exist, pictures during the Kickstarter and one or two other places.

By the way you can edit builtin routes in TRS19 Just saved a copy of Settle and Carlisle Skipton ;o)
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
robd
Past 100!
Trainz Build: 122418
Author KUID: 345264

Post by robd »

Some pics of TH here:

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Tony+ ... 53#imgrc=_

Boris has more hair than Tony but they're both full of shit!

Rob.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

VernM wrote:...They were dismissed as a wish-list along with the suggestion perhaps there would need to be another Kickstarter for that to happen...
Aah yes, Tony's famous Wish List. It must be about 253,000 pages long by now as it was first mentioned, I recall, when the T:ANE beta was being released to the testers. Single and double slip diamonds? "Oh that's one of the items on the wishlist for further down the line. We'll get round to things like that when things are a bit more stable." I'd bet a thousand pounds to a pinch of sh*t that you still can't make proper single or double slip diamonds in Trainz Railroad whatever it's called using Protrack.

Pretty much everything else that was asked about back then was on this bloody wishlist too - and if my poor memory serves me correctly, Interlocking Towers (which was supposed to be one of the headline features) were never released to us beta testers because they caused N3V so much grief that they had to drop them from the original release and they ended up nothing like they were originally intended to be. Seems to me they found it a lot damn harder than expected so N3V just ducked out with something along the lines of what was originally mentioned and then left the rest to the cleverer members of our community - as is always the case. It's been pretty much left to the Trainz community to pick up all the pieces that don't work properly and make them a bit more usable. Sadly, as I don't have a computer science degree I've never used the Interlocking Towers and I have no intention of doing so in the forseable future unless their use is considerably simplified.

Anyway, how many years is it now that have we been waiting for ANY of these items on Tony's Wish List to make an appearance? ...and another Kickstarter??? Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I know exactly what I'd kick if they ever dared to ask! :shock:

Cheers ;)

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

The Black text on blue background issue has been fixed, it's now Black on white, much much better.
The Track sound has been changed can hardly hear it however IMO it's now worse and doesn't sound like any track sound I've ever heard! hopefully it's being worked on.
The TurfFx and clutter will make it very easy to populate a route with grass and small plants, no more messing with badly behaved performance sucking grass splines, bit of a learning cure involved in getting to understand it, its a bit geeky at present, needs simplifying so none geeks can understand it.
Worth pointing out that without Tony H there wouldn't be any Trainz, something people need to remember, you don't have to like him but we still have Trainz and he doesn't hide in the shadows like most heads of software companies.
Double slips etc, if it was easy to code it would have been done, having done some game coding and some Linux stuff albeit over 15 years ago, I'm more tolerant of things that don't happen on the "wish list." Not all things that appear easy to the end user are actually possible and if it is it can often break something else.
Cheers

Malc

PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

chrisrose1993 wrote:Is the driving experience still the same? Its the one thing that kills Trainz for me!
Like Clam, I've been involved in beta testing. but gave up when I discovered the driving experience will remain as it has been for years. TRS19 is all about eye candy so while yes, it does look fantastic, unfortunately the driving experience is as bad as it ever was.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

PFX wrote:...TRS19 is all about eye candy so while yes, it does look fantastic, unfortunately the driving experience is as bad as it ever was.
I received an email this morning offering me some kind of discount on a subscription because I'm a current FCT holder. There was also a feedback option and - after I had given them my opinion on their prices - I pretty much told them what you've written here, Innis. This is T:ANE with a new coat of paint and a couple of fancy little tricks. The pricing they've come up with, however, is extortionate!

On a side note: Malc, I appreciate what you're saying about Tony and the good work that he's done in the past. Yes, he's put a lot into Trainz but that doesn't, though, give him the carte blanche right to ride roughshod over everyone and everything everytime things don't suit his own personal arguments and opinions. A little humility once in a while goes a long, long way. Arrogance does nothing for the cause, in fact it has completely the opposite effect and has probably put him at a big disadvantage in his current crusade to try and convince us all that his new product is as brilliant as he thinks it is.

Cheers

Dave
amigacooke
Milepost 3

Post by amigacooke »

It sounds pretty prudent to at least wait for the official release, as all the content will be included (which is not the case at the moment).

Only reason to get early access I'd say is:
  • if you are a content creator who wants to get started on the latest standards
    if you are a beta tester who found that TRS19 gave better performance than TANE on your particular hardware
My opinion is that TRS19 is what TANE should have been. As ever, it's up to each individual to form their own opinion rather than letting others form it for them.
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

cyberdonblue wrote: I received an email this morning offering me some kind of discount on a subscription because I'm a current FCT holder. There was also a feedback option and - after I had given them my opinion on their prices - I pretty much told them what you've written here, Innis. This is T:ANE with a new coat of paint and a couple of fancy little tricks. The pricing they've come up with, however, is extortionate!

On a side note: Malc, I appreciate what you're saying about Tony and the good work that he's done in the past. Yes, he's put a lot into Trainz but that doesn't, though, give him the carte blanche right to ride roughshod over everyone and everything everytime things don't suit his own personal arguments and opinions. A little humility once in a while goes a long, long way. Arrogance does nothing for the cause, in fact it has completely the opposite effect and has probably put him at a big disadvantage in his current crusade to try and convince us all that his new product is as brilliant as he thinks it is.

Cheers

Dave
I got similar but thanking me for visiting the Trainz Membership page? Also said I could reply to the email with any questions...... Clearly whoever sent it, probably a bot, hadn't read any of my posts or they wouldn't have bothered!

Probably find the Subscription thing is at an accountants instigation, or whoever is in bed with N3V, pretty sure they have acquired some extra expertise from somewhere.
Cheers

Malc

VernM
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS2010, TS12 T:ANE
Trainz Build: 96000
Author KUID: 30024

Post by VernM »

Some of the screenshots Harold (hminky) and Philskene have posted over at Trainsim dot com do look very good.

I am not folding on my position re purchase but it does create an awkward dilemma from the developer's POV, in that there is little incentive to move forward with very much in TANE as it becomes a case of operational/functional limitations with not so nice graphics or operational/functional limitations with rather nice graphics (and a £58 price tag).

As amiga says, at this stage just best to wait and see what happens. Whether there been 1000's of customers signing up to subscriptions or whether that is somewhat hyperbole on the part of TH and N3V will determine how the final version goes on sale. Personally I will at least hold out for the Steam version as there is a good chance this will be price adjusted for each country rather than selling on the straight currency conversion.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

For me, the beta has been hugely disappointing. As I've said before, it's visually stunning, absolutely stunning, and I sincerely mean that; it is light years ahead of TANE in that respect however, the one thing I've been waiting for, and to me the most important thing about a train sim, is an improvement in actual train physics. I think the only thing that has been added in this respect in recent editions, is the e-spec editor which is not exactly easy to use (don't even mention that horrendous cab 'sway').

Do I need a pretty version of TANE? Hmmm, not really.
Do I want another version for Trainz that drives like every other version? No.

The only way I can see me buying this is if it's vastly discounted and after it's been proven to be stable.

I've been what could be described as a 'fan boi' for the Trainz series for years now and I've been lucky and/or patient with most releases so I don't like to knock the product or see others do so. The reason I say this is that I don't want anyone thinking I'm being negative just because it's a new product. I just don't like it. I love farting about with route building (or re-building others' routes to be more precise) but N3V has failed to address what I see as fundamental failings on the driving side to make it a true sim.
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

VernM wrote:Whether there been 1000's of customers signing up to subscriptions or whether that is somewhat hyperbole on the part of TH and N3V will determine how the final version goes on sale. Personally I will at least hold out for the Steam version as there is a good chance this will be price adjusted for each country rather than selling on the straight currency conversion.
I'm waiting for N3V to give those with more money than sense a Gold Badge for the forums! That may give some kind of indication at least for those who are forum users. They are bound to do something to make them show as more important than the "lower classes" of Trainzer, think Kickstarter ;o)

I've got the normal TRS19 without the subscription as
1: I'm going to need it for Route building and Content creating, looks like my L&B is going to be a two version effort again as I did with the FR / WHR.
2: Going to need it for my CRG role.
3. It's so much better than anything before it.
4. Spent a lot of money upgrading PC's to run it! Only because I received a large inheritance and can now afford to and as I'm now on my own there's no one to stop me and it benefits other things I use them for anyway ;o)
5. Spent a week updating all my WHR rolling stock so they were error free and had the correct lod levels for TRS19.
6. I'm retired and need new challenges to keep my brain active ;o)
7. Harold (hminky) who is the biggest N3V critic and thorn in TH's side tells it as it is, even in beta, likes it so it must be good!

Each to their own as TANE SP3 is looking much better than previous, so we might be in the unusual situation of having two decent versions at the same time, if they don't break it with the forthcoming hotfix.....
Cheers

Malc

VernM
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS2010, TS12 T:ANE
Trainz Build: 96000
Author KUID: 30024

Post by VernM »

Well I am retiring at the end of October Malc, (41 years on the railway) but the wife has a six month list of all the house/garden jobs I never got round to doing, with the excuse not worth starting as, "I'm on seven nights in two days time." :) That is likely to be the priority at first but hopefully there will be plenty of, if not a little more time for route building. I guess it's probably worth persisting with TANE for now if the routes do go across fairly easily. With TANE the bulk of people moved over from TS12 fairly quickly despite the early bugs certainly by SP1 HF4 still the best version IMHO, making it not really viable to build any further projects in TS12. Not so sure that will be the case with TRS2019 , though.