U.K. Catenary won’t touch the pantograph

General Trainz discussion and questions.
car112
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS19
Trainz Build: 116313
Author KUID: 533914

U.K. Catenary won’t touch the pantograph

Post by car112 »

On various routes in Trainz when there are elevation changes to the terrain, the pantograph on a locomotive or EMU would slightly rise above the wire or slighter descend below the wire. Since catenary is only scenery splines, is this acceptable? On Midshire Mainline V3, I found this to be a common occurrence when there is a change in terrain. Is there a way so that all catenary splines on a route can be leveled for the pantograph to touch the wire for the entire length of the route? For my Gramsby Line route, the elevation will be zero constantly throughout the entire route to avoid this issue.
GreaterAngliaDude
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: 2009, TANE , TS12

Re: U.K. Catenary won’t touch the pantograph

Post by GreaterAngliaDude »

Im afraid i dont know how, perhaps ask nexusdj himself?
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

This happens because the catenary splines are longer than the track splines (as in real life, the track will have a smooth curve to it, but the OHLE is always comprised of straight sections). A workaround is to move the masts closer together and tweak the spline point heights, but there isn't really a solution since Trainz doesn't support a dynamic pantograph height
James M, creator of the
network
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

There's only really one way to resolve this, and that's to use more modern OHLE splines such as those made by nexusdj himself. I should know as I've replaced all the original OHLE on the Midshire route with the newer stuff. There are still places where the panto might rise or fall above or below the wire but to make sure it's 100% right for 100% of the route would take ages.