T:ANE

General Trainz discussion and questions.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

T:ANE

Post by cyberdonblue »

If anybody is interested, I've just seen T:ANE SP1 available on Steam for £7.49p. Upgrades free, it says - but we knew that anyway. Absolute bargain if you ask me though.

Cheers

Dave
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Author KUID: 688183

Re: T:ANE

Post by Mightyena »

That is a good price! Almost wishing I'd held out this long to get it! :lol:
James M, creator of the
network
chazi898
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS 2012

Post by chazi898 »

Is it not worth waiting for TRS2019 now at this later stage?
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Not if T:ANE's history is anything to go by. T:ANE is only now becoming the product it should have been when it was released. From what I've seen and heard, Trainz 2019 is still a million miles off being "the dogs dangly bits" and, as is N3V's habit nowadays after being badly burnt by T:ANE, there are bits and pieces still being drip fed into 2019 because N3V obviously couldn't get it all to work properly behind the scenes if they were to have included everything that they'd promised for the time of release. The choice is yours, of course, but as someone who was a tester on T:ANE from it's early days, and knowing N3V and their track record, I would suspect that Trainz 2019 is going to be a while yet in becoming what it's meant to be. Besides all that, 2019 looks like a bit of a "Cash Cow" to me too, though I may be wrong. All this membership stuff never sits well with me where software releases are concerned. The game has worked well since its inception without any kind of membership so why is it needed now (other than to bleed the gullible a bit more possibly?)

Cheers

Dave
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Seconded. TANE still doesn't work right, and I'm still waiting to be able to run TS12 SP1 without constant crashes. Safe to say I'll be thinking very carefully anytime N3V ask me for any money!
James M, creator of the
network
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Guys you need to forget about what happened with TANE, TRS19 is streets ahead even in it's early access stage, the current Beta is even better and you all need to remember, it has not been officially released yet, the Early access is the equivalent of that early TANE pre release Community version and is 1000 times better.
The issues with Skipper1945's locos was fixed extremely quickly, as probably will be the default lighting and shiny splines issue, which are high on their fix list, they are actually listening.

You will find very few people who actually have TRS19 saying it's rubbish, mainly it's known moaners those who haven't even got it trolling the forum trying to stir up anti N3V feelings.

OK it's not perfect but it's a damn sight closer than TANE was / is.

Support for TS12 was supposed to end last month in September and support for TANE ends in May 2019 according to the list....... May or may not get extended.

Bet none of you against the subscription bothered to take part in the survey a year or two back, I did and said no, bet if a few more paid attention and had done the same we wouldn't have been lumbered with it, although it's not compulsory and you can still buy a copy as normal that doesn't expire if you forget to make your payment or run out of money ;o)
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

I'm against the subscription and yes, I said no. I won't be purchasing TRS19 on that basis. Yes, I have also been using the beta version and I don't think it is worth it just because it looks great. If train physics, sound and night time lighting improve, then I may think about it.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

From what I can tell, TRS19 seems to be what TANE should have been... which stings a bit for those that bought TANE. I don't really feel like paying twice for the privilege.
clam1952 wrote:Support for TS12 was supposed to end last month in September
True, and I still can't run SP1 without suffering from constant freezes and crashes... Not great going really.

I think my main issue is that the usual "Oh, but it's really good this time, honest!" from N3V isn't really going to work.
Guys you need to forget about what happened with TANE, TRS19 is streets ahead even in it's early access stage
You're probably right there, but developing a reputation for promising the moon and then releasing an unfinished mess is not the way to get me excited for a new release. I look at it and mostly think "Isn't a lot of this what you said TANE would be, only now I have to pay twice? Great..."

Some of the communication from N3V doesn't help either, it comes off as a bit "I know we've been consistently disappointing for a while now, but we've told you this one is really good already, why aren't you lining up to spend your money?"
PFX wrote:I'm against the subscription and yes, I said no. I won't be purchasing TRS19 on that basis. Yes, I have also been using the beta version and I don't think it is worth it just because it looks great. If train physics, sound and night time lighting improve, then I may think about it.
Another good point. The physics don't really seem to have changed much since 2004. It's all very well improving graphics again, but the graphics are already good, there are far more important things that need sorting first!

That said, I'm willing to be proved wrong, it just doesn't seem likely I'll be picking up a copy
James M, creator of the
network
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

clam1952 wrote:Guys you need to forget about what happened with TANE...

OK it's not perfect but it's a damn sight closer than TANE was / is.
In other words, Malc, it's exactly the same as T:ANE; they couldn't wait to get it out the door and take people's money so they've released yet another unfinished project.
clam1952 wrote:...and support for TANE ends in May 2019 according to the list....... May or may not get extended...
And if they do pull the plug on T:ANE next May they'll lose more than just friends. T:ANE is not the finished article. Nowhere near. It still doesn't work properly and there are still built in items that show up as faulty on people's games despite umpteen DBRs. SP3 broke as much as it fixed for some people (which is the usual thing with N3V's SP's for as long as I can remember) and all we can get from them is don't worry it'll be alright soon. I once had a mate that ran a pub and he pulled in an almost packed house on one occasion by putting up a big notice that said, "Free beer tomorrow." The idiots who turned up the next day couldn't see the irony in it. Tomorrow never comes because the minute you open your eyes in the morning it's today! I'm sure N3V think we're all idiots on that scale too. So many of us have allowed them to wriggle off the hook every time. Not many people complained when we suddenly went from Australian dollars to U.S. dollars overnight (craftily increasing the prices along the way.) Why can't we have prices in pounds sterling? (because we might actually realise just how expensive this stuff is when it's not working as advertised?)

Like James (Mightyena,) I will be thinking VERY carefully before I pass any money N3V's way ever again. Maybe when Trainz 2019 is available on Steam for £7.49p I might decide to take a punt on it. Who knows? As yet, it's just another half finished product that they want you to pay for while you test it for them - and who says that they won't abandon this work of wonder in May 2020 or 21 for the next "superb, outstanding, never been seen before" project? N3V's promises have worn thin and most people aren't falling for them anymore. As my poor old Mother used to say, "The road to Hell is paved with good intentions."
clam1952 wrote:Bet none of you against the subscription bothered to take part in the survey a year or two back, I did and said no, bet if a few more paid attention and had done the same we wouldn't have been lumbered with it...
On the contrary, I did Malc. And I wasn't very polite about telling them where to place such a scheme. Let's just say, "The sun don't often shine around those there parts!"

Cheers

Dave
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

cyberdonblue wrote:T:ANE is not the finished article. Nowhere near. It still doesn't work properly and there are still built in items that show up as faulty on people's games...
Heck, neither is TS12, and that's how old now? I thing N3V's plan seems to be "yes, yes we're looking into fixing it as fast as we can, there will be a patch out soo... Oh, would you look at that, a new version of Trainz just came out. That has a fix, buy that instead. okay, problem solved, bye"

I'm just glad I didn't pay full price for T:ANE.
James M, creator of the
network
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

Those who paid for early access expecting rather stupidly that it would be the release version can only blame themselves.
If N3V didn't sell stuff then you would all be looking at an empty screen by now. They have to make money to survive especially with a tiny niche market such as a railway simulator.

And once again!!!!!! it has not been released yet, Early Access is not the full release and was never intended to be.
Cheers

Malc

cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

clam1952 wrote:Those who paid for early access expecting rather stupidly that it would be the release version can only blame themselves.
If N3V didn't sell stuff then you would all be looking at an empty screen by now. They have to make money to survive especially with a tiny niche market such as a railway simulator.

And once again!!!!!! it has not been released yet, Early Access is not the full release and was never intended to be.
Unfortunately, Malc, "Early Access" has now become a dirty word in the gaming world (Trainz is far from being able to call itself a simulator) because so many games producers (particularly on Steam) have been releasing "early acces" games and 4 or 5 years down the line, in some cases, their games are still nowhere near an official release date or completion. Early access is an increasing trend and needs to be stamped out. It's an excuse for lazy companies to pull in money without having to work properly to finish a product (although N3V have seemingly got away with that practice for years now without having to call it "early access.) Yes, N3V have got to sell stuff to survive but Trainz isn't their only product. The trouble is, it's their only HALF DECENT product but it seems like they're going out of their way to kill off their customer base.

If you come into my Fish & Chip shop on a Friday night and buy for all the family, you want a decent meal. If I sell you half cooked chips you're not going to be coming back next week no matter how many promises I make to you about them being better next time, are you? So why should I pay top dollar to have a product that's unfinished and abandoned in favour of a new, more sparkly, shiny toy before it ever gets to that apex?

There are lists and lists of metaphors that could probably be quoted here from other posts regarding incomplete products in the real world and their unsaleability. However, the real fact of the matter is N3V made a total mess of the T:ANE release. They got badly burnt by it but the only lesson they seem to have learnt from that is how to try and con their support base in a different way from a different angle. Yet again they are turning their back on a product that they promised everyone would be the bees knees. They took everyone's good will and they abused it. They failed massively to deliver with T:ANE. That's a simple and undeniable fact. Now they're trying to tell us all that this new shiny, all singing, all dancing product is everything you've ever dreamed of - but it ain't, is it? Same old crappy clickety clack coconuts; same old crappy physics with passenger trains sounding like some Class 9 rusty buffer affair, same old midday Arizona Desert lighting, same old partial release witholding a few bits and pieces because, oops, they don't actually work properly just yet (but don't worry, we can still take your money though!) Is it any wonder so many of us are disillusioned and not willing to trust N3V again? They just seem to go round in circles committing the same old sins time after time. It's once too often this time though, Malc, because so many of us are sick to death of it.

When N3V have finished using those with blind faith as their test dummies I might be inclined to have a look at what they've managed to put on the table. Right now I'm sick of the half finished bullshit (no matter how good it might "look" in the newsletter) and the promises of jam tomorrow. It's time to come up with the finished goods, N3V, or get out of the business.

Cheers

Dave
ConnieC420
New Starter
Trainz Version: TANE, 12, 10, 09

Post by ConnieC420 »

I'd say go for it, 8 pounds is absolutely worth it and it gives you a fallback if TS2019 is buggy. (Which is the same thing as if the sun is hot.)
robd
Past 100!
Trainz Build: 122418
Author KUID: 345264

Post by robd »

Not long to wait now until TRS2019 is £7.49 on Steam and the same old arguments have started again about the next iteration of Trainz (if N3V are still in the business of course!)

In the meantime, T:ANE is good enough for my Trainz needs and, yes, £7.49 is definitely a bargain for anyone new to Trainz. I may consider TRS2019 when it's a bit (lot) more mature and, hopefully, cheaper all round.

Rob.
clam1952
Forum Veteran

Post by clam1952 »

Not over fond of early access either, most are not very good.
The difference between buying a product such as Fish And Chips (Had a bad experience with one round the corner that I will not be using again, concrete fish.....) is that with software you are buying a licence not a product so there is no legal comeback yet if it doesn't do what it says on the tin, no accepted standard, there is stuff out there that is truly abysmal that people are expected to pay for and far worse than anything N3V have ever produced! Then look at the complete hash Microsoft are making out of their constant "improvements" Getting sick of seeing Candy Crush and all these "helpful" interfering apps that I will never use and have to remove after every feature update, If I could run TANE or TRS19 and 3ds Max on Linux I'd seriously be contemplating dumping Win10........

Back to TANE, yes they did make a mess of it's release and expectations from some were IMO way to high given previous history, never believe the marketing hype for anything, it's always exaggerated, however in the case of TRS19 they actually produced a closed beta that worked straight away, which is a first, note I did not say it was bug free but it was usable and it has been getting better with every update, still things to sort. Not sure about the Early Access as I don't use it, just updated straight back to Beta.

I'm still a bit puzzled though as to why they are still working on a TANE Beta when TRS19 is about to be released properly, that doesn't equate to turning their back on TANE just yet ;)

£8 is a good price, be better if you could find a boxed copy at that price, I did that with TS12, bought a second copy for £9.99 from Game just so I had a boxed copy for emergencies!

Blind faith? May interest you to know that the biggest complainers are the testers most who have put many hours into testing and submitting hundreds of bug reports, complaints in the right place, which is not ranting on a forum, may not always have been taken notice of in the past but seems a lot better now, however if they don't fix the shiny spline issue by release then they will be hearing some noise from me :twisted: .
My L&B route hangs in the balance of getting a TANE or / and TRS19 version on getting that fixed.
Been here before with TS12 / TANE......
Cheers

Malc