Help with feather positions.

General Trainz discussion and questions.
Peter White
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: TRS22+

Help with feather positions.

Post by Peter White »

I am trying to understand modern (ish) colour light signal feathers. I understand the basic feather positions but what I'm not sure about is the meaning of each feather.
Looking at the track plan below I know that signal 2 would have a position 3 feather for Yard 1 and a position 4 feather for Yard 2. But what about signal 1 ? I assume positions 4,5 and 6 but what would the Up goods show as? Position 4 or 5?

https://imgur.com/hrSsyer

Any help would be appreciated.

Peter
Shippy2013
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61383

Re: Help with feather positions.

Post by Shippy2013 »

If I remember correctly in reality your right for signal 2. Signal 1 would have position 5 for up goods, if you want full feathers. In the real world though signal 1 would only have position 4 and 5 and these would be for the up goods pos 4 and yard 2 pos 5, yard 1 would have a call on signal on signal 1
Peter White
Milepost 7

Post by Peter White »

Thanks for the information.
You have been a great help.

Peter
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

As Shippy says, Peter, your set up with the positioning of access to Yard 1 from your main line (and Signal 1) is a bit unusual and probably a "Cats eyes" with a small route indication would be the more usual sort of call on that move. However, you can use feathers as follows:

Signal 1

Main line to Yard 1 = Position 4
Main line to Goods line = Position 5
Main line to Yard 2 = Position 6

Signal 2

Goods line to Yard 1 = Position 1
Goods line to Yard 2 = Position 4

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Dave
Peter White
Milepost 7

Post by Peter White »

Thanks for the reply Dave.

This junction is actually the old junction North of Carlisle Citadel where yard 1 is Viaduct and yard 2 is Dentonholme.
I have the WTT for the early sixties and i am updating it to newer signals in certain areas. Modellers licence?

It keeps me happy.....
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Peter White wrote:...Modellers licence?

It keeps me happy.....
And that's what this hobby is all about, Peter. I use modellers licence - or artistic licence, whichever you prefer - fairly liberally throughout what I do. You'd drive yourself nuts otherwise :lol:

Railway wise, I never worked any further north than Preston; although I travelled to Glasgow and Aberdeen on a few occasions visiting relatives on the outlaws side of the family. From what some of the old "Steam boys" told me when I first started on the job, Carlisle was a bit of a nightmare in the semaphore days. It allegedly had one of the most terrifying signal gantries in the business. A favourite trick was for the driver to start oiling the side rods on the engine and wait for the signalman to shout at him for blocking the job. That way he could be certain the cleared signal up on that gantry was for him :lol:

Cheers

Dave