westwood Tunnel kit

General Trainz discussion and questions.
welsh37/5
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 40183
Trainz Build: 3
Author KUID: 264963

westwood Tunnel kit

Post by welsh37/5 »

Hello all fellow forum members. Although I haven't been back into trainz route building for long, I have run into a problem i have had in the past concerning the Westwood tunnel kit. The problem is Normally when I place a tunnel in trainz and build a mountain over the tunnel as you do, the portals at either end are not affected. However when using the Westwood tunnel kit, the portals height adjust to the mountains new height. Is there anyway to overcome this problem?
DavidBrown
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 57898
Author KUID: 475970

Re: westwood Tunnel kit

Post by DavidBrown »

You have to remember that you cannot adjust the height of the partals like most assets - its height is set to ground level, so raising the ground to cover the portal will actually raise the portal. What you will have to do is keep the ground at the right height for the portal and use other assets to surround the portal (retaining walls, cliffs, foliage etc) - you will also need to take into acound the Dighole needed so that the tunnel appears as a tunnel rather than just crashing into the hillside.

I can sympathise though - I've had great difficulty in trying to find suitable assets to surround the portals for my attempt at the Dawlish Sea Wall. I've ended up having to use cliff faces that are the wrong colour and retaining walls that don't exist in real life. I may have to add some surrounds to my ever growing list of content requests for my Devon route!
ricky25
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE/19/22
Trainz Build: 119451
Author KUID: 238689

Post by ricky25 »

The only way to solve the problem with height is using digholes I believe. I've had the same problem with Westwood assets and that was the only way I solved it.
DavidBrown
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 57898
Author KUID: 475970

Post by DavidBrown »

Here's the issues I've had;

The dighole is obviously needed for the tunnel to function properly, but it does leave me with a headache as to how to cover it up, with this being the (temporary) solution;

Not ideal, as you can see.
uktrainzfan
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: T:ANE SP2
Trainz Build: 90945

Post by uktrainzfan »

I am not familiar with the Westwood tunnel kit, but I have used the one developed by Bloodnok for Trs2006 and TC3. That contains a number of grass planes (choice of two objects or one spline) which can be rolled to any angle. My suggestion would be to move the tunnel portal and dighole forward one square, fit the grass plane above the portal and then you can texture in the cliff behind the tunnel.

If you can, have a look at Hawes Junction, or any of the S&C layouts to see how the tunnels are constructed there.

One other suggestion concerns texturing. The appearance of the beach shingle can be improved by using the texture rotate feature to avoid the regular pattern which is visible in the screenshots.
welsh37/5
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 40183
Trainz Build: 3
Author KUID: 264963

Post by welsh37/5 »

Thank you all for your help, I now have a good idea how the kit works.