Large station roof.

General Trainz discussion and questions.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Large station roof.

Post by cyberdonblue »

I'm on the scrounge again :lol: As you know, I'm trying to reconstruct Manchester Central station as part of my latest project and I thought I'd struck gold with poor old Andi Smith's station roof. It's absolutely perfect ...except... ...it's at least 6 meters too narrow. The roof span at Manchester Central was 210 feet (64 meters.) Andi's widest roof is 58 meters. So, the obvious question is; does anybody know of a St Pancras style station roof that might fit the problem? (Manchester Central was modelled on St Pancras apparently.) I've looked all through the DLS to no avail. Any suggestions anyone? Please??? I'm knackered otherwise.

Cheers

Dave
demobbed
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94217

Re: Large station roof.

Post by demobbed »

What about "Station Roof Large" by james73?
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Thanks, demobbed. As an absolute last chance saloon, I've got one eye on that one but it's a couple of meters short on the span (which is, I must admit, a lot better than 6 on Andi's.) I'm not too fussed if it's a bit too long (550 feet is the actual length [168m], but beggars can't be choosers, can they?) or even a bit too short, but the width needs to allow sensible clearance of the platforms and running lines. However, I do appreciate the suggestion. Thank you. I'll keep looking for now though because time is not exactly against me on this one so I'm hoping that something might drop out of the blue in the not too distant future.

Cheers

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Glasgow Queen Street maybe? <kuid2:69518:28202:1> Station Roof - Glasgow Queen Street 1985
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

:D

Strangely enough, Malc, I tried that one this morning...

So near...

...even the St Pancras clock fits in neatly...

...but it's a sad failure in the end.

Such a shame as it's a beautiful roof and it was so close. I would have happily absorbed that wall on the right into the station building somehow if it had been a better fit. I've left it in place for now as a reminder of how good any prospective candidate needs to be :lol:

Oh well, back to the drawing board :( .

Cheers

Dave
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

If one was willing to accept the application of a little artistic licence, I recon that if you shaved off from each platform face a width equal to those white edging lines, the whole thing would fit under the roof. Whether you would be able to accept that is another question however.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

I appreciate the suggestion but, whilst the whole route will not be absolutely, totally historically accurate and will have more than a touch of "artistic licence" applied throughout its construction, that is probably pushing things a little bit too much. I say that because there is a run round road inbetween each platform road to take into account as well as the numerous sets of points that would need to be realigned on the approach to the station and in the station area itself. That points job alone would be a nightmare that I just don't fancy (it was bad enough the first time around and it's not totally complete yet. :lol: .)

On top of all that, the two platforms on the extreme right (below) are actually meant to sit outside the main station roof and have their own canopies so the wall section on the Queens Street roof would have to come in a fair way in order to not be intrusive. In its time, there was an arched wall roughly in line with the lefthand edge of the bay platform, as we look at it in the picture below, running back almost to the buffers end of the station.

Thanks for the suggestions though. I'm more than happy to take people's ideas on board if it will help me out of a tight corner. As it happens, I've mostly been messing about at the Derby end of the route today because I've burnt my head out on the Manchester problem right now. What's more, I've scrapped those horrible through trusses on the approach to Manchester that I had in place too. It hurt to do it but they looked absolutely bloody awful. They pissed me off more and more everytime I saw them. I'm on the lookout for some better ones if anyone comes across any.

Oh well, tomorrow's another day :roll:

Cheers

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Looking at this photograph http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/m/ma ... ntral6.jpg it appears to be extremely close apart from that wall

The wall as it's using a separate image file can easily be alpha masked out, just tried it and it works, just leaves that bit of roof, which isn't likely to be removable as its a shared texture.

Clone it, create a 128x128 pure black image, save as alpha.tga and add alpha=alpha.tga to the wall_b.texture.txt file.

Just checked the creators profile on N3V, he still appears to be checking the forums, last seen on the 14th. Might be able perhaps to get a version minus wall and roof from him? or permission to alter it, if you can hide that roof somehow?
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Somebody contacted him on the Main Forums quite some time back, Malc (I'm sure the post would be traceable.) They asked about removing that extra section of wall for one of their projects. I wouldn't exactly say that he was hostile about it but he made it quite clear that he was not about to remove the wall nor give permission to anyone else to do so and he basically told people to stop asking for things like that. Obviously he'd received a few requests along those lines and was not a fan of having his work used elsewhere as something other than Glasgow Queen Street. His prerogative, of course, but that's why I gave up on the asset so readily in the first place.

I would like to eventually release this route at some point in the future (whenever that might be) and I'm not sure if messing with someone else's assets (against their will too) would be the best course of action to pursue even temporarily. I'm quite happy to plod on with other aspects of the route and see what if anything develops in the future. When the time comes that I HAVE to make a decision then things may well be different, of course.

Thanks for the suggestion though. I'm always happy to listen.

Cheers

Dave

(copyright alan_young4 1977)
greeni
Past 750!
Trainz Version: TRAINZ22PE
Trainz Build: 123799
Author KUID: 174088

Post by greeni »

I will have a look and if I can get some sort of plan worked out I can throw a front and back and have the roof a spline and make it to your dimensions you need.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

That sounds like a fantastic offer, Gary. Thank you very, very much. The dimensions I have for the roof are: 550 feet (168m) long by 210 feet (64m) wide with a maximum height at the centre of the Arch of 90 feet (27m.) Being a spline would make it such a versatile asset too. As I said to Malc, I think more than a few people have previously been asking if they could alter the Queen Street roof for their own projects but the author declined (as is his right, of course.) Your spline could be the answer to those people's prayers, Gary; but it would most definitely be the answer to mine. Thank you.

Cheers

Dave
greeni
Past 750!

Post by greeni »

been sorting some textures how is this for the left hand side outer and right side inner walls, don't remember how they looked but from some pics on internet, i have come up with this, what you think :)

Imageman central by Gary Green, on Flickr
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Wow! Stunning, Gary. I'm not sure what I was expecting you to come up with but it certainly wasn't something as classy as that, that's a fact. That's absolutely brilliant.

Cheers

Dave
greeni
Past 750!

Post by greeni »

in game just to build roof

Imageman central walls in game by Gary Green, on Flickr
greeni
Past 750!

Post by greeni »

and with roof added, 2 pieces done just the ends to do.....

Imageman central roof in game by Gary Green, on Flickr