Session Creation

General Trainz discussion and questions.
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Session Creation

Post by Marky7890 »

Hi all,
So I have never made a route session for release before (apart from templates), however with a big part of my route ready for release I thought I may as well give it a go and have some sessions for it too.

I'm guessing I would need an opening message box saying where the player will be driving to, where to stop, and maybe a timetable extract for their service.

However where else would be good places to have boxes triggered to appear? On the approach to stations? Approaching single line sections? Approaching open level crossing?

Thanks.
Mark
uktrainzfan
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: T:ANE SP2
Trainz Build: 90945

Re: Session Creation

Post by uktrainzfan »

Yes you need three levels of information.
1. A brief overview of what the session is about which is displayed when the session is selected for viewing from the drop down list of sessions associated with your route. It should cover whether the session operates automatically or requires input from the user. Also describe the type of service, whether there are goals, whether it is scored and very importantly, how long it is likely to take to complete.
2. HTML pages which display as soon as the Session opens. It should include what was covered in 1. but the type of service should be amplified so that the user is aware of where the session starts, where the user will be going and where it will end. You must also be very clear about whether the session will end only upon completion or that there are conditions which would cause the session to close prematurely, eg. SPAD, derailment, late or early running, speeding, failure to stop at a particular point.
3. Pop up Messages which supply the information necessary for the user to work through the session. Their frequency depends on how complicated the session is; a shunting session, for example may require frequent messages concerning changing points, moving forward, backward, stopping at certain locations, coupling and uncoupling. Don't put too much information in a Pop up Message. Don't forget a 'well done' message upon successful completion of the session. Also if the session ends prematurely because the user has transgressed the rules of the session, a message explaining what is happening and why is essential.