Speed trees Vs board trees

General Trainz discussion and questions.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Speed trees Vs board trees

Post by PFX »

I'm sure I read on the main forum that in T:ANE, speed trees have less of a frame rate hit than the older board style trees but I've noticed that in areas on my route where there are a lot of speed trees, FPS is taking a hit. Have I gotten my memories mixed up? If so, I'm going to have to do a lot of replanting.

Oddly, when in surveyor, there's no discernible difference which made me think perhaps I'm right.

Cheers,
Innis
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: Speed trees Vs board trees

Post by clam1952 »

Most Billboard trees excluding the ones I made specially for TANE look dreadful in TANE and even worse and that includes mine in TRS19. Yes they may look OK in a screenshot, but not when actually running a route.

After carrying out tests in FR / WHR route before release with Billboards and then SpeedTrees I got slightly better frame rates using SpeedTrees, consequently I didn't bother use them in the TANE version.
You need two or three times more billboards to get the same coverage as in general appearance as you do with Speedtrees. When replacing the Billboards with Speedtrees I had to thin out about a third of the speed trees as they were very densely packed.
Speed trees, are rendered by the SpeedTree engine thus taking the load off the Game engine. As with any asset there are good frame rate friendly ones and a few that may cause a performance hit.

You can test trees by using the Preview Asset in Manage Content, Mode Performance Analysis and measure the Frame rate. This loads a full board with Trees.

I forget which ones but there are a small number speed trees that TANE does not like. Oak trees seems to ring a bell for one but I forget whose.

With rmm trees make sure you have all the updated versions which are better than the originals, plus N3V have been updating some of their builtin speedtree stuff as well.

I have more problems with buildings without lod which is many of them, causing frame rate issues.

Malc
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Re: Speed trees Vs board trees

Post by PFX »

That's great Malc, thanks for the info. I had used your billboards quite extensively previously. I'm using the built in broadleaf trees, and the others are the rmm ones. I've a feeling I need to do a bit of pruning in certain areas as FPS seems to drop substantially. It could be that I'm using older versions of the rmm trees however.

Innis