Latest Newsletter

General Trainz discussion and questions.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Latest Newsletter

Post by cyberdonblue »

I received yet another advertisement this morning claiming to be a newsletter. It's all about how you can buy this and how you can buy that (all 2019, of course) with no actual "news" whatsoever - oh and if you're a GOLD member you can even kiss Tony's arse before anyone else. Not one single mention of T:ANE in it anywhere or any news of when this SP4 might appear in reality (instead of constant betas.) So much for Tony and N3V and their (empty) promises to press on with updates and patches alongside the new toy. Yes, this new one looks pretty but it's the principle of the whole thing. We went through all this 2019 bullsh*t when T:ANE came out. N3V simply abandoned Trainz 2012 users (even though they said they didn't.) The same, it appears, now applies to T:ANE users. How soon will it be before they abandon 2019 for another "new, never been seen before" shiny little toy?

One very disillusioned T:ANE user

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: Latest Newsletter

Post by clam1952 »

I got a different email about a forth coming Plus beta, not the usual Newsletter.
There is a release candidate Beta for TANE which is imminent. https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthr ... PC-and-Mac
Seems to be OK to me.

Dated 9th May
Default New TANE SP4 "Release Cadidates" - PC and Mac

We've released patches today for both PC and Mac. These are non-assertion builds so can be considered as final release candidates for an official "Service Pack 4" release.

TANE SP4 Beta 95078 to TANE SP4 RC 100519 (Mac)
TANE SP4 Beta 100172 to TANE SP4 Beta 100522 (PC)
then another small update:
TANE SP4 Beta 100172 to TANE SP4 RC 100544 (PC)

The updates are available by selecting "TANE SP3 Beta" stream.

Could you please provide your feedback to us regarding the impact of "Precaching" after updating to one of these new releases (especially from people who aren't used to the process of the extra time required on first load to create your own precache data files).

IMPORTANT:
If you have been waiting patiently for the official release of the next TANE update, we'd love you to try out this build now to get as many new users as possible checking the build out with their own content.

Last edited by Tony_Hilliam; May 9th, 2019 at 04:53 AM.
Of course they could have released it full of bugs, is it not better to take a bit more time over it and lesson the potential problems?

Malc
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Sorry to sound a bit thick, Malc, but is that saying that SP4 has been released or is it about to be? Not sure if it's recent medication or what but I seem to be struggling to grasp a few things just lately.

Cheers

Dave
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

clam1952 wrote:Of course they could have released it full of bugs, is it not better to take a bit more time over it and lesson the potential problems?

Malc
It would have been better had they not released it at all - and actually finished T:ANE before working on an even newer version and having to release updates for more than one version and annoying users of T:ANE and TRS2019 together.

I'll bet my left gonad that T:ANE is never actually finished - and I'll bet my right gonad that TRS 2019 doesn't get finished either before they announce "TRS 2022 - The newest of the newer new eras" - with even shinier new graphics, but tunnels still floating in mid-air.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

cyberdonblue wrote:Sorry to sound a bit thick, Malc, but is that saying that SP4 has been released or is it about to be? Not sure if it's recent medication or what but I seem to be struggling to grasp a few things just lately.

Cheers

Dave
Release candidate is usually given no problems the version that gets released and have the same build number.

Briggsy wrote:
It would have been better had they not released it at all - and actually finished T:ANE before working on an even newer version and having to release updates for more than one version and annoying users of T:ANE and TRS2019 together.

I'll bet my left gonad that T:ANE is never actually finished - and I'll bet my right gonad that TRS 2019 doesn't get finished either before they announce "TRS 2022 - The newest of the newer new eras" - with even shinier new graphics, but tunnels still floating in mid-air.
Ermmm? This is TANE SP4 we are talking about which is about to be released. Originally it was supposed to be a hotfix for SP3 however they decided to roll all the additional stuff that clearly needed doing into a full service pack which is why it's taken a bit longer than the must have now club were expecting.

Having done coding in the past I am a bit more tolerant of delays and bugs, there is no software other than very simple stuff, that is actually bug free, or really finished! Win10 being a classic example, every Feature and Cumulative update comes with a list of unfixed bugs and after a week or so a list of new ones and they have thousands of staff, not 6...... Microshaft also selectively ignore reports from those of us who are insiders who get to test these things before they are released, probably have their reasons as I suspect do N3V.
Nvidia aren't much better, every other driver seems to have some kind of problem for someone.

Finish TANE before TRS19? Companies need make money to survive, by holding off on a new version just to finish the last one, by holding off, no new sales, cash flow problems then possibly no company and no Trainz.

In actual fact they are not doing much different to what DTG have done, running two versions at once.

Could be N3V have realised that not everyone has a bottomless pit full of cash to buy new hardware for TRS19, or can afford the somewhat expensive subscription method which is why they are still selling TS12 and TANE which has already been extended to 2020. Must be working as some new people are actually still buying older versions.
They also listened to the clamour on the forums for a cut down localised non subscription version of TRS19 at a more affordable price as well.
Currently they are correcting the payware blocking DLS assets issue which create problems for route builders and looking at a new way of providing DLC so this doesn't happen, again due to the complaints about this on the forums.
They are listening and listening a lot more than in the past.
TANE now has an end of support date Of September 2020, given that TS12 is now 7 months past it's end of support date I would imagine TANE will get an extension as well.

No tunnels floating in mid air here in TANE since a few TANE betas ago and haven't come across it in TRS19. I suspect as with any bug report, if the developer cannot replicate it, then it's pretty well nigh impossible to fix it!
As for finishing TS12? 61388 is a nightmare, if it wasn't that I need it for my Content Repair Group stuff it would have been eradicated a long time ago.
And no, I'm not in Tony's back pocket, I've been quite brutal at times over various issues.

I get very few problems with TANE or TRS19 other than finding where they have moved things to! After every patch or service pack, both TANE and TRS19, I run an extended database repair (Ctrl + Repair Database) which sorts out possible problems with false errors in Manage Content and things that are not working properly in routes, missing track and such, then sort out the precaching by running prebuild in TrainzUtil, creates a precached folder in your userdata folder and gets rid of the annoying Precaching you can get when loading a route.
Probably not a good idea after patching TANE or TRS19 to try running a route or looking to closely at Manage Content before at least running a full Database Repair. Will do wonders for stress levels and blood pressure ;o)

Malc
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

clam1952 wrote: Release candidate is usually given no problems the version that gets released and have the same build number.
Many thanks, Malc. I'll hold off a bit longer till they sound the "all clear" then before I download it.

As for 2019, I know I will, at some point in the future, no doubt purchase the shiny new toy but it is choking me to watch how things are just repeating again and again and many of us are left feeling let down, betrayed and trailing behind with the current versions that we have. Very sad.

Cheers

Dave