Scripted station signs

General Trainz discussion and questions.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Scripted station signs

Post by Mightyena »

Hi guys and gals, hoping I could pick the brians of someone well versed in Scripting.

I was just wondering about scripting, and before I attempt to wrestle TrainzScript into submission, I ought to find out if what I'm trying to do is even possible.

Basically, I have a lot of stations on the Hayden Trains network, and well, the standard a.name attachment text doesn't really look all that great. I much prefer to write the text on the texture in a font of my choosing, but that would result in hundreds of signs.

Therefore, my plan is to use a texture group, and script the sign to change texture depending on its name. That way, I could update all the existing signs without replacing them.

I know it's possible to get a train to change texture depending on things like running number, but is it possible for a scenery object, based on the name typed in in surveyor?

Thanks for any help!
James M, creator of the
network
Marky7890
Site Admin
Trainz Version: TRS2019
Trainz Build: 90945
Author KUID: 179051

Re: Scripted station signs

Post by Marky7890 »

There is a sub station asset which uses Eldavo's Chameleon script to change between colours, which I think saves the selected option in the session file, so it is indeed possible.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Re: Scripted station signs

Post by Mightyena »

Excellent, that means the inevitable hair-pulling trying to produce a functioning script won't be in vain. Thank you!
James M, creator of the
network