AI trains sluggish

General Trainz discussion and questions.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

AI trains sluggish

Post by PFX »

Morning all.

I've been doing a bit of route testing of late and have started to see issues with a number of AI controlled trains which are not accelerating as they should. Acceleration is very slow and the trains aren't getting close to posted line speeds. Initially I thought it was down to a caution aspect on the signalling but I've checked this and have green lights all along the route. The worst affected trains seem to be the Railwaves ones (377, 220, etc), though some others aren't accelerating as I'd expect. Everything works fine under human control. Any ideas what could be causing this?

Cheers,
Innis
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Re: AI trains sluggish

Post by Briggsy »

Is this a new thing (ie, were they working OK until recently?) - or has it always been a problem with certain content ever since it was installed?

If it's the latter, then it's highly likely the engine spec configuration that is the problem.

I've had some content where AI acceleration has either been really slow or too quick - or braking has either taken an eternity or brought a train to a halt in seconds.

I also had a Class 37 that could do 142mph too.

Since I tweaked some of mine enginespec configs, they've been fine.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Which route/commands are you using? My voyagers seem to work correctly in TANE, but I have noticed that sometimes the AI will slow for a speed reduction waaaaaay before it's necessary. For example on one of my routes, there's a 10mph speed limit into the terminus platforms at the end of the route. The AI will slow down from linespeed to 10mph about 2 miles before the actual limit change
Briggsy wrote:I've had some content where AI acceleration has either been really slow or too quick - or braking has either taken an eternity or brought a train to a halt in seconds.
This is one of Trainz's biggest failings. Working with enginespecs is a pretty dark art, and tweaking them basically consists of changing random values until something happens.
James M, creator of the
network
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

It's a recent thing. I've used the 377 before and it travelled the route at the posted speeds. I use the 'Navigate to' commands.
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Post by Briggsy »

PFX wrote:It's a recent thing. I've used the 377 before and it travelled the route at the posted speeds. I use the 'Navigate to' commands.
In that case, I wonder if it's been sparked by the recent patches that N3V have released?
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

As far as I can recall, there hasn't been a patch for a number of months. This issue has only manifested itself in the last week or two. There's no issue with human control.