Full res screenshot thread

Post any suggestions you have for the new forums.
macneil
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 2010

Full res screenshot thread

Post by macneil »

Hey everyone im wondering what other people think of the idea of having A separate screenshot thread for full size images as re sizing images degrades image quality and the overall look of the screenshot and takes away the whole point of high detailed screenshots.

To save work for the mods it could be A continuous thread like the auran forum instead of A new one being made each month.

Cheers.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Re: Full res screenshot thread

Post by Nexusdj »

I believe the argument against was due to the amount of people still on dial up access . Maybe one for the mods to setup a forum vote to see if the majority want it ?

Have you considered starting up a Flickr account and then linking your pics from there . I upload full screen images to Flickr then select the appropriate 1024 size for this forum and Flickr does the resizing for me , the images are a lot sharper (without artefacts) than I could every get them by resizing in Coral Paintshop .
Using Flickr has the added bonus that your promoting your work to a new audience , About 25% of the folks who follow me on there are non enthusiasts (or at least don't upload railway pictures) . I've also had quite a few ask me what simulator I'm using and where it can be purchased :D
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

I don't know the original reasons for the setup of the screenshot threads, so I can't really comment on that part.

There are a large number of factors to take in when considering any changes of this sort - I have created a very short survey to collect such data (only one poll can be added to a thread) which I would appreciate if you could fill in.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Not only dialup but some of us are on Data Caps, and not everyone has ADSL, I have to use 3G and it's capped. Large images I tend to avoid. it's pretty normal for most forums to restrict image size due to bandwidth usage, some of the free image hosts are now restricting size for new users as well. By allowing oversize images it puts those who do not have unlimited superfast broadband at a disadvantage.

Allow large images and I'm gone sorry but cant afford the data.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
macneil
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 2010

Post by macneil »

I can see were your coming from Clam but my suggestion was for A thread just for the high res shots not to replace the the currant method of posting.

Sorry I could have typed my first post A bit better.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Isn't there a script in place on this forum that restricts screenshots to a maximum of a 1024x , Does this script resize the image or does it just simply crop the image ?

If the script resizes the image then could it be set up so that its a standard feature for all users that all screenshots are still a maximum of 1024x , but the feature can be untagged in the User control panel so that individual users can choose what suits them best (with a warning about increased bandwidth next to it) ?
That way users can link to larger pics and the larger pics will be seen by those who have untagged the feature but users with restricted bandwidth will only see the 1024x version :D
There would also be bandwidth implications for those who upload screenshots directly to the Forum so that they are hosted on here , Unless the forum could support the extra Bandwidth then you may have to look at keeping directly uploaded pics to 1024x and only allow larger sizes where the pic is linked from a third party hosting site .

Obviously if the script just simply crops the pic to 1024x then this idea wont work !

To be honest linking from Flickr seems to be the best way of doing it at the moment without losing any detail in a reduced size screenshot .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

The issue of detail has long puzzled me. I always meant to ask why my screenshots lost resolution but kept forgetting. I normally use 'print screen' then upload the resulting image to Photobucket. I notice the resolution has dropped when I open it there so maybe there's something I need to change in my settings on Photobucket. I haven't tried Flicker before so maybe I'll try that option.
Past 500!
Trainz Version: 12, TANE
Trainz Build: 74702
Author KUID: 431172

Post by 73129 »

I personally have no problems with increasing the sizes, but I have a number of reservations:
  • 1. As Dave says, some people may still be on dialup.
    2. I have done some research before on this on another forum, although long ago it was hard-coded into phpBB software to keep it to 1024 res, as far as I am aware it only affects attachments that are uploaded onto the forum and did not affect honked pictures from sites such as Flickr, photobucket etc. I'm sure it has changed since then but I am not sure.
    3. If this is implemented, we will have to add a new rule that all pictures will have to be hotlinked instead of uploaded onto the forum, to keep space / bandwidth to a maximum.
    4. Screen size - noting that again some users may be "pre-digital" and only have CRT screens with a maximum resolution of 1024x768, it may cause a problem with how they view the Screenshot pages.
tommietomato2 on Auran forums
Retired moderator.
Itareus
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 06/TC3/09/10/12/TANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 243828

Post by Itareus »

While bearing in mind the needs of those who don't have the latest tech it's a very bad idea to 'develop systems for the future' based on the limitations of the past, otherwise there is no, or slow, progress.

Having one high res screenshot thread might limit the audience for that thread but nobody will be any worse off than they were and the forum will have an extra resource.

Just my opinion.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

I agree. If we keep it separate from the main screenshots thread, it would be a nice addition.

Having said that, I do understand that the increased file size may be a problem to some (even myself, since most of my forum browsing is done on a 12" Thinkpad X200!), however that shouldn't be an issue if the hi-res thread is properly labelled as such.
James M, creator of the
network
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Surely the whole point of a screenshot thread is to reach a wide audience not restrict it to the chosen few, however if some want to restrict their audience who am I to argue ;o)

Not a case of not having the latest tech here either, can't use what does not exist, this estate was built in the 60's and has aluminium phone cables not copper, so ADSL is an intermittent 250K if you are lucky, I get 10 to 15 MBPS down on 3G and 2MBPS up which is OK for me and it's less cost than what BT are charging for a dodgy part time very slow ADSL. I need reliability more than unlimited data that takes a week to download ;o)

If people want to display a high res image why not use a thumbnail on the forum hotlinked to the hosting site, that way you can see if it's worth looking at before committing to a large data download.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Class172
SOTM Moderator

Post by Class172 »

As it stands (the survey is still open) a large majority (75%) wish to keep the screenshots in a monthly format, however there is currently one vote between yes/no for allowing high-res images.

I think clam's idea above (using regular sized thumbnails linked to the full resolution version) is a very sensible idea, though I don't know how many hosting sites currently offer that feature. If we were to directly allow large images, I would keep them in a separate thread as there are multiple issues with mixing them with regular images.
Past 500!
Trainz Version: 12, TANE
Trainz Build: 74702
Author KUID: 431172

Post by 73129 »

Class172 wrote:
I think clam's idea above (using regular sized thumbnails linked to the full resolution version) is a very sensible idea, though I don't know how many hosting sites currently offer that feature. If we were to directly allow large images, I would keep them in a separate thread as there are multiple issues with mixing them with regular images.

Something like this?
cyberdonblue wrote:Image

tommietomato2 on Auran forums
Retired moderator.
Class172
SOTM Moderator

Post by Class172 »

Looking at the responses that have been made, there is a strong consensus that the format should remain as monthly.

I personally am still in two minds as to how high resolution images could be implemented. I am fine with them being in their own thread, however I think that perhaps using linked thumbnails might be a better solution, considering the gradually decreasing number of posts that are made in the screenshot threads.