Hello from the borderlands between Lancashire and Yorkshire

New members please feel free to introduce yourself to everyone.
LandYRailwayMan
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: TANE SP4
Trainz Build: 105963

Hello from the borderlands between Lancashire and Yorkshire

Post by LandYRailwayMan »

I really aught to have introduced myself a long time ago, but despite appearances from a distance, some aspects of life can be a bit challenging.

As hinted in my current signature, I have an ASD/Autism/Aspergers (late adult) diagnosis. This has many implications which may or may not be appreciated by others. Being a genetic condition it is "in the family" and lots of related features/comorbidities can be seen in other family members. One of my sons has an acute dyslexia diagnosis and another has dyslexic tendencies. I have reason to believe those tendencies are present in myself, which goes a long way explain why I can read and write, but find the process extremely draining/exhausting, and why it occasionally misfires. (Spell checker and electronic text editing is your friend, unfortunately the understanding end is still 100% organic.) It is in part my excuse why I haven't made this post any sooner.

While it is not part of the ASD diagnosing criteria, a connection with the railway world (employment/enthusiasm) also appears to be closely connected to Autism, as evidenced by the concentration of both diagnosed and undiagnosed Autistics on forums like this one. :D I have railways in my blood. Though I trained and worked for a while in engineering, my previous three generations all worked on the railways for some if not all of their lives, I am also distantly related to George & Robert Stevenson of Rocket fame. I grew up on the Lancashire Yorkshire border and my home town even 'switched sides' between my conception and birth, so I consider myself to be a pink rose. It is that which probably fuels my admiration for the Lancashire and Yorkshire Railway which is the basis of my screen name. In this I am somewhat betraying my ancestry, as my great grandad was a Midland Railway man, while my grandad started on the Midland which immediately became the LMS before he ended his career working for BR. Still I like the down to earth pragmatic local honesty of the L&Y over the more grandiose airs of the MR and LNWR. Saying all that my primary era of interest in the BR steam and early diesel period of my father's childhood, many of those diesels (and electrics) were still happily running around when I was riding the rails as a child too, just not painted in as nice a colour scheme as when they were first built.

Here however another Autistic issue presents itself. I have problems with auditory sensitivity, so while I like the look of early diesels and appreciate the clearer views from the cab one has when riding in them, the noise they make, especially in the Trainz digital quality, is at times so uncomfortable as to be painful, which leaves me defaulting to steam mostly.

I am currently residing in supported living, which means I have some time on my hands, so I am keen not only to use but also to contribute to the Trainz world, however I am now very slow, and though I have a good technical background, I am having to learn (and sometimes acquire) new software, which means my dreams/aspirations are way ahead of reality if not entirely unrealistic. ;)
Autism/Aspergers - 2 much of 1 good thing and 2 little of another.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Re: Hello from the borderlands between Lancashire and Yorksh

Post by cyberdonblue »

Welcome to British Trainz my friend. I think you'll find the pace of life in these parts very gentle compared to the place we don't often mention. There are some very capable modellers hereabouts and many will be only too pleased to help you learn. Don't be afraid to ask because there's always someone who has the answer.

As for slow, well I've virtually come to a stand these days but that doesn't stop me looking in and keeping up with what's going on.

Cheers

Dave
demobbed
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94217

Post by demobbed »

Welcome LandYRailwayMan, a fellow Lancastrian.
I'm guessing you are from somewhere around Barlick way? I myself am a bit further down the east Lancs.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Welcome to the Forum :D
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Welcome to British Trainz LandYRailwayMan. :)
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/