Driver Error

Support for technical issues with Trainz or CMP. (Errors, crashes, faults, problems, install help, etc...)
Aunty Acid
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 0

Driver Error

Post by Aunty Acid »

Hi all,
I have been having a few issues with Trainz. The first being whenever I save a route in Surveyor, I get the 'Save/Don't Save/Cancel' window when I save or exit, but it doesn't save it or in fact, leave surveyor at all, meaning I have to force quit. When I run TrainzDiag, it gives me this error:

"Contact your card manufacturer at for the latest drivers.
Card's driver date is Tue Jan 10 22:12:26 2012
File Version:8.15.10.2622
File Description: LDDM User Mode Driver for Intel(R) Graphics Technology
Product Version:8.15.10.2622"

I have already followed the usual procedure for updating the driver through the control panel.

My questions are as follows:
1) How do I resolve this glitch?
2) How do I speed up the rendering on Surveyor? (another problem I am encountering)
3) How do I update the driver?
4) How do I do all of this without reinstalling?

Carrie XXX
Thanks,

Carol Stott.

Yes, freedom is good, but arguably, grammar is better.

~ Andy Zaltzman
ScottAS2
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 95078
Author KUID: 306203

Re: Driver Error

Post by ScottAS2 »

Aunty Acid wrote:...whenever I save a route in Surveyor, I get the 'Save/Don't Save/Cancel' window when I save or exit, but it doesn't save it or in fact, leave surveyor at all, meaning I have to force quit.
While it's generally a good idea to keep your graphics card driver up-to-date, I'd be surprised if a graphics card driver caused the problem you describe. Usually they're mostly involved in the projection of the 3D model onto your 2D monitor. While they can cause all sorts of havok with that - mainly crashes and slowdowns - saving files and exiting surveyor would be mainly Trainz itself, with a bit of help from the OS. Have you tried Intel's I-don't-know-what-driver-I-need utility? Maybe that'll get your driver updated and sate TrainzDiag, allowing it to reveal more of what the actual problem is.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Re: Driver Error

Post by Mightyena »

Sounds a bit like Trainz is unable to write the saved session to disk for some reason - likely due to Windows file permissions or something similar. When you go to exit, Trainz asks you if you want to save, and if you press yes, writes the changes to the route asset, and commits it back to the Trainz Asset Database (TAD). Sounds like at one of these steps, Windows is denying Trainz access to the folder the route or TAD is stored in, and so Trainz doesn't know how to react. It won't close since you've told it you don't want to lose work, and it can't close without discarding that.

Have you tried running Trainz as Administrator (right click on the icon and click "Run as Administrator")? If that doesn't help, try making sure its installed somewhere other than the default C:\Program Files (x86)\N3V Games folder. Windows sometimes gets a bit funny regarding system folders like Program Files...
James M, creator of the
network