Trainz 12 keeps crashing

Support for technical issues with Trainz or CMP. (Errors, crashes, faults, problems, install help, etc...)
chazi898
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: TS 2012

Trainz 12 keeps crashing

Post by chazi898 »

Hi all,

My Trainz 12 is running rather slowly at the moment, CMP doesn't seem to want to load up fully when I run it, and I am experiencing recent consistent crashes every time I load up my route (just this route specifically) I'm currently working on. I can just about successfully get into the route surveyor with no problems, but it loads up in the map, where I left off, and as soon as I look over to the more scenery dense area (or in general it loading up any different area than currently on screen ) it crashes on me. This crash seems to happen every time I now load up this route, so is not a one off error, and I don't think it is because of additions to the route, because nothing has changed since it ran perfectly before.

If it helps, I'm running Trainz 12 on Intel(R) Pentium(R) CPU G840 @ 2.80GHz with 8.00GB RAM, 64 bit operating system, Windows 10, and a Hard Drive (1TB) that is absolutely clogged up to glory (although for a little while longer I cannot fix this latter issue). Plus, for some reason when opening the launcher, Trainz 12 has been asking me for the serial number to be re-entered and to re-sign in to my Trainz account.

Any help given is very much appreciated,
Thanks, Chazi.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Re: Trainz 12 keeps crashing

Post by PFX »

Not sure if it'll work but you could try cloning the route and seeing if the same happens with the clone?

I recall in the distant past that a certain asset may cause a crash (I could be wrong here) but if so, is there something you're using on this route that you've added, that isn't in any other you have?
chazi898
Milepost 5

Post by chazi898 »

As of today my content manager has decided to load up fine, and hence revealed straight off the bat that there is now a lot of faulty content that wasn't previously faulty (or assets that have dependencies that are faulty). I have loaded up a few of the routes that also seem to have said faulty assets missing, and work fine with no crashes (assets aren't there but route still works), but I've looked at the asset kuid list for the (specific) route I referred to, and the only assets that appear to be faulty are only trains. When I actually load the route up in Trainz, it is still crashing on me after it loads up a more scenic area.
Just a thought, but if I did try cloning it, wouldn't it still have the same faulty assets so that it doesn't work still? Also another thought, but I remember where said few faulty assets were located, and when I roughly loaded the area where they previously were, it starts to crash. However, it still crashes if I load up other parts of the route without the said faulty asset in that area.
Just to note, the only most recent modifications I made to any such assets were of tenders, but I don't think they were in the route as of loading up areas where it crashes.

Thanks, Chazi
chazi898
Milepost 5

Post by chazi898 »

Scratch most of that last, apologies.
I seem to be able to click View Errors & Warnings in content manager on any (so far) faulty asset and it seems to validate back to its 'just warning' or completely error/warning free state. I suspect Trainz is having a mid-life crisis as it to be honest, I cannot say it is the most stable version of Trainz out there, running on no service packs, with a lot of modified assets on my part, and is now getting a bit old along with the computer too. :roll:

Edit:
I have made the route non faulty, and cloned the route, but neither stop the same error from happening still. Im trying an extended database repair and fiddling around with certain settings but I doubt it will do much.

Thank you for your time and suggestions, Chazi
shaneturner12
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TS12/TANE CE
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 234888

Post by shaneturner12 »

If you're running a build lower than 49922 I'd recommend patching (updating) - the crashes may be connected to a bug fixed in a later build.

Shane
chazi898
Milepost 5

Post by chazi898 »

Its just I've been constantly worried that if I patch my content I have installed will become obsolete or wont work anymore. Are you sure it wont make half my content faulty?
shaneturner12
Past 250!

Post by shaneturner12 »

If you only patch as far as 49922 there's less chance of a large amount of faulty content (although some of it may have updated versions on the Download Station. Unfortunately not patching at all may mean that any fixes in newer builds won't be available to you so it's like a double edged sword.

It all depends on what content you are using and whether the creators have updated it.

Shane
chazi898
Milepost 5

Post by chazi898 »

Hi Shane,
I did do some patching up to 49922 for Trainz 12, but that didn't solve the problem. So, I've decided to bite the bullet and go for Trainz 12 SP1 61388, while it has installed correctly, as expected a lot of my assets ended up in a faulty state, of which I have spent this night making most of them fault free. However, while this did solve the Trainz 12 crashing on me error, it is now giving me a Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library Error, saying Trainz made it stop in an 'unusual way', when I load and do roughly the same thing I was doing on the route before it did with the other crash. Also, the new error also seems to be occurring with just this route.

Thanks, Chazi.
shaneturner12
Past 250!

Post by shaneturner12 »

C++ errors are hard to pin down I'd say given experience. It depends on what you were doing at the time as to what may be the cause as TS12 is limited on how much memory it can use for example.

Shane
chazi898
Milepost 5

Post by chazi898 »

Well, I was doing roughly the same thing as last time when the error occurred, loading up a part of the map. Also I've just discovered one of my routes has completely gone rogue as the only thing left on it after ive gone to SP1 is the terrain and nothing else :evil:. I have the trainzoptions.txt file set as it was before, with 4192 resource memory (not that I know how much this affects trainz) framestoaverage 16 and framerate limit 50, plus freeintcam, which even though in the config doesn't work for some reason.
shaneturner12
Past 250!

Post by shaneturner12 »

From memory SP1 requires trainzoptions to be in the UserData folder - check that it's in there.

Shane
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

What Shane said. In SP1 the trainzoptions.txt file moved to the userdata folder, but rather than copy it over, if you update it just creates a new one there with default settings. Try copying the one from wherever you installed trainz/TS12 to the /TS12/Userdata folder
James M, creator of the
network
chazi898
Milepost 5

Post by chazi898 »

Hi there. Sorry for the late reply, was away all weekend.
Anyway. While moving the trainzoptions.txt to the userdata folder did work, I still cannot say it is the route of the problem. I am still puzzled as to why it crashes in the specific places on the route, because there are no missing or faulty assets in those areas. In other small news, Ive noticed another problem where the sound only plays on one or the other side of the train when in game, depending on what type of sound that is (ie: horn, track sound, bogey sound), and the sounds only just about equalize when your facing head on to the train. I found that turning off 'enable 3d sounds' in game seems to fix the problem, but simply flicking it on and off doesn't fix that problem.
chazi898
Milepost 5

Post by chazi898 »

I have now delved into the reddit log and found that for some reason Microsoft visual c++ redistributable 2010 was apparently installed around the 23rd of September mark, which also seems to be not a week or two before I posted the first message on here (5th oct). I have now also installed and tried the newest version of Microsoft visual c++ redistributable (2017 both x64 & x86), but this didn't seem to do anything either. However, if I did uninstall the 2010 one, would Trainz not work, because it must still be attached to that one instead of the 2017 one?