Discuss routes currently being created.
blackwatch13
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TRS 2019
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 222042

Re: Wendsey

Post by blackwatch13 »

fizzy, those kuid:523 items are built into TS2010 & are CM3.2 so your content manager won't recognise them.
Your only hope is that Mightyena can convert the route back to 2009 build.
Tane SP3 build 94916 + SnC & Duchess
fizzywizzy
Past 250!
Trainz Version: Trainz 2009

Post by fizzywizzy »

I've got the Trainz 2010 version of Wendsey because i have service pack 4.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

Ah, I would imagine those are speedtrees of some description. I'd forgotten about those :oops:
I'll set about replacing them and see if that helps
James M, creator of the
network
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Right, i think I've got them all...
I've swapped out all the speedtrees for some that should be TS2009 compatible. I completely forgot that 2009 doesn't support speedtrees, as sp4 is essentially TS2010 :oops:

Little note, I now know that you MUST have at least 2009 sp4 for this to work. 2009 owners who wish to use Wendsey must upgrade to SP4, as it simply won't work with anything lower.

I shall edit my post with the attachments in to reflect this :)
James M, creator of the
network
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Hi all, a little more progress has been made:

A class 170 rushes through the Hettleford Marshes:

Before arriving at Hettleford. The Railway here is raised due to flood risks:

A view of the station from a pigeon in the main square:
James M, creator of the
network
ricky25
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE/19/22
Trainz Build: 119451
Author KUID: 238689

Post by ricky25 »

Hi. Any news on kuid:688183:100333 yet?
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Sorry it took so long, I read the original license and didn't really register what it said haha :oops:
UK Major Station Departure Board Wendsey.cdp
All credit for original work goes to Glenn Mitchell (geordieboy775)
James M, creator of the
network
ricky25
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE/19/22
Trainz Build: 119451
Author KUID: 238689

Post by ricky25 »

Thanks for the upload. Great route by the way
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Hi all,

Work has continued on the Wendsey Airport Rail Link (WARL). The line now travels out of Holden street to the first station, Sibley Heath:

The Roybirch line now has a viaduct link to Holden street. During peak times, some trains from the Roybirch Line will terminate at Holden Street to ease congestion at Wendsey Central

Also, a slightly more complete version of Wendsey is awaiting upload on the DLS. Those of you with TS12 are reccomended to download it
James M, creator of the
network
glbotu
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2004,2010,2012
Author KUID: 181246

Post by glbotu »

Having played with a route a bit, I have a few suggestions. I think you've made a great start and all my suggestions are intended constructively (not that I'm planning to phrase them unconstructively, that would be silly). Also, I've played with the V0.5 one from the forum and have not looked at the DLS one yet, so you may have answered some of my queries anyway. They're mostly realism related.

1. Speed Limits - I think overall they are too high everywhere (except maybe on the Wendsey - Hettleford). Lines in cuttings with stone walls tend to have lower speed limits, due to their proximity to buildings etc. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but I've rarely seen lines in that situation for extended distances with more than 60 mph. You could probably push to 80 mph, but 100/125 mph seems excessive. The slow line through Wendsey Central has a speed limit of 75mph, which also seems high, given the importance of the station. Possibly consider dropping it to 40mph?

2. Sharp Curves - Now and again, you have a few sharp curves, notably at the junction to the unbuilt branch when coming from Hettleford (just before Wendsey).

3. Sidings/Stabilngs - Again related to the importance of Wendsey (and possibly Boston Jcn), you don't appear to have any sidings or stablings anywhere nearby. I'd say somewhere there you may want to consider a major depot-type thing.

4. Boston Jcn - Stonewall Vale - As I understand, this should have a mainline feel (most of the line appears to be run at 125 mph). I think that to achieve this, you may want to put some passing loops, especially at your stations, especially if you intend to run frequent non-express services on top of the express services. Currently, I can see the slow trains just getting in the way of the fast. Stonewall Vale itself, given it has turnback facilities, would almost certainly need passing loops (and maybe a flyover to get from Down - Up or something along those lines).

5. History - This one's up to you (not that the others aren't, it's just that this one's less important), as it could be that the entire area has been rationalised and modernised, but it would be nice to see some historical quirkiness in the trackwork. As an example take pretty much all the trackwork between Glauston Central and Glauston International on Midshire. I mean the fast dives under the slow and the commuter line splits from the slow line and then you get that viaduct and Polmont Station sort of built around it. It's how the railways were built in this country as railway lines were first separate and then merged and it was found that a dive-under was needed there and fast needed to go to slow there and so on. Wendsey seems to have the "perfect" trackwork, with regards to where all the lines go and around areas like Boston Junction and Wendsey, clearly a major rail hub for the local network, as well as a mainline, it would seem that it may warrant some unnecessary complexity.
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

glbotu wrote:Having played with a route a bit, I have a few suggestions. I think you've made a great start and all my suggestions are intended constructively (not that I'm planning to phrase them unconstructively, that would be silly). Also, I've played with the V0.5 one from the forum and have not looked at the DLS one yet, so you may have answered some of my queries anyway. They're mostly realism related.

1. Speed Limits - I think overall they are too high everywhere (except maybe on the Wendsey - Hettleford). Lines in cuttings with stone walls tend to have lower speed limits, due to their proximity to buildings etc. I'm sure there are some exceptions, but I've rarely seen lines in that situation for extended distances with more than 60 mph. You could probably push to 80 mph, but 100/125 mph seems excessive. The slow line through Wendsey Central has a speed limit of 75mph, which also seems high, given the importance of the station. Possibly consider dropping it to 40mph?

2. Sharp Curves - Now and again, you have a few sharp curves, notably at the junction to the unbuilt branch when coming from Hettleford (just before Wendsey).

3. Sidings/Stabilngs - Again related to the importance of Wendsey (and possibly Boston Jcn), you don't appear to have any sidings or stablings anywhere nearby. I'd say somewhere there you may want to consider a major depot-type thing.

4. Boston Jcn - Stonewall Vale - As I understand, this should have a mainline feel (most of the line appears to be run at 125 mph). I think that to achieve this, you may want to put some passing loops, especially at your stations, especially if you intend to run frequent non-express services on top of the express services. Currently, I can see the slow trains just getting in the way of the fast. Stonewall Vale itself, given it has turnback facilities, would almost certainly need passing loops (and maybe a flyover to get from Down - Up or something along those lines).

5. History - This one's up to you (not that the others aren't, it's just that this one's less important), as it could be that the entire area has been rationalised and modernised, but it would be nice to see some historical quirkiness in the trackwork. As an example take pretty much all the trackwork between Glauston Central and Glauston International on Midshire. I mean the fast dives under the slow and the commuter line splits from the slow line and then you get that viaduct and Polmont Station sort of built around it. It's how the railways were built in this country as railway lines were first separate and then merged and it was found that a dive-under was needed there and fast needed to go to slow there and so on. Wendsey seems to have the "perfect" trackwork, with regards to where all the lines go and around areas like Boston Junction and Wendsey, clearly a major rail hub for the local network, as well as a mainline, it would seem that it may warrant some unnecessary complexity.
Hi,
thanks for the feedback, it really helps :)
On some of your points:
1. I agree, and in many places I've reduced the speed limits to 70mph (40 through Wendsey).

2. I have relaid 2 junctions (the one you mentioned and the one leading to Elbridge and Northlands) to make them less sharp and will at some point rebuild Pondworth so there are no sharp curves.

3. Sidings, I agree with your point that Wendsey should have some close by. However as an inner city station, space is limited (and it lost its CS to add extra station capacity). There will however be a medium sized depot at Pointely (on the unbuilt line out of Boston Jcn).

4. The way I view Wendsey, this section of line was originally part of the WCML, but demand for express services along it dropped. Nowadays there are mostly local services with the (very) occasional pendolino, and as such, passing loops probably aren't necessary. When I rebuild it though, I will probably put Pondworth on loops due to the fact that many Hayden Trains don't stop there!

5. This is an interesting one. While Wendsey Central has had a lot of money thrown at it (the station and surrounding trackwork was recently completely rebuilt to allow more trains to serve the station), and as such is supposed to have very efficient trackwork, Boston Jcn will hopefully have some quirkiness due to the presence of the Perintree line diverging from the Stonewall line. That's another station I have started to redesign but have no idea what I'm actually going to do with it haha! I haven't even thought up a station plan yet :?
James M, creator of the
network
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Hey all! It's been a while but I've been trying to resurrect Wendsey! I haven't got too much time for trainz at the moment, but I'll try and keep regular updates on my progress.

So far, I have been working on completing the Roybirch to Harringden line, and generally improving the appearance of Wendsey Central:

As you can see, Wendsey Ctl now has station signage, destination boards, lamps and people. I'll be working on it a bit more to fine tune bits and pieces here and there, but I'm generally happy with the result.

As for the Roybirch Line, I've managed to get as far as the next station, Hatton. The stations on this line are kind of inspired by the Hertford Loop:

What do you think so far? Any comments/suggestions gratefully accepted :D

I'm also working on the line out of Wendsey's 2nd station, Holden Street. It will eventually pass through Harringden where it will meet the Roybirch line. I'll post some pictures of it soon.
Cheers,
James :)
James M, creator of the
network
alexfleming380
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 622162

Post by alexfleming380 »

Looks good James! It's nice to see you plodding along with this again
Please, call me Alex.
Formerly known as afleming97
Mightyena
Forum Veteran

Post by Mightyena »

Thanks! Just a little update again:

The area around Wendsey is being (un)updated with the introduction of (old) new Mk1 catenary:

And Boston Junction station is in the process of being completely redesigned again:

The station approach, with the line to Stonewall Vale rising over the mainline:

The station itself:

James M, creator of the
network
electra
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS2019 SP4
Trainz Build: 116678
Author KUID: 49712

Post by electra »

Excellent work, James Image