Demo of a route Im working on

Discuss routes currently being created.
stuartluff
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: Mac

Demo of a route Im working on

Post by stuartluff »

Thought I'd post a video of a route Im working on. No real reason why, just thought you guys might like to see it.

I have drawn out a rough idea of a route that spans roughly 100 miles. It includes two mainlines, some local branches, some industry and a medium sized port. This video shows the roughly first 10 miles from Langworth Docks to Sutton. Its completely fictitious and and these first few miles are still incomplete as you will see a bit towards the end.

I've tried to do a tradeoff between video quality and file size for you guys. Its running on a 27" iMac 3.4Ghz i7 with 16GB RAM, 2GBVRAM and SSD. Full screen and max settings it looks amazing but a video that big would probably run at about 10GB haha so this is captured at around 1024x768px which means the HUD is huge on screen. It's 255mb and about 13 minutes long.

Im still learning signalling and where to place signage etc. Found a great signalling vid on youtube for BR signals but it is a bit dated. Anyhoo, if you spot anything thats not prototypical point it out so I can have a look at it. Things like whistle board distances, signals (should they be LHS post or Gantry - things like that).

Enjoy.

http://www.twoninetythree.com/langworth_docks_demo1.mp4
Last edited by stuartluff on Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
stuartluff
Milepost 3

Re: Demo of a route Im working on

Post by stuartluff »

Some screenies too.

cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Hi Stuart, a lovely piece of work. Just one small point though, if I may. Towards the end of your video, approaching the station, your signal with a No. 4 Flash (sorry, Route Indicator is the formal term) would not be such a signal in reality. That indicator will tell the driver that he is going to turn right at the first set of points leading that way (and that's all it tells him.) It is not sufficient, however, in your scenario given the extavagant pointwork you have on the approach to your station and the numerous options this provides for routes into different platforms. I would suggest that a Theatre Box Indicator would be a much better option which would allow you to advise your drivers of exactly which platform they are being directed to. Route knowledge then gives the driver a clue as to which sets of points he is to be travelling via and what speed he should be doing. In the real world, there are places where you can be directed to the same platform with the same indication 3 or 4 days in a row but you'll get there a diiferent way each time.

Don't worry too much about your signalling though. What I've seen of it is pretty good. Colour lights are generally fairly straightforward anyway. Most people make their mistakes with semaphore signalling. I think they get carried away with how many signals they can squeeze onto a gantry and don't really understand distant signals and the proper use and placement of them either. I've been quite surprised by some of the examples I've seen.

Anyway, if I can help you with any signalling problems that arise for you (I was a B.R Driver for 30 years) then please don't hesitate to ask. As I said though, a lovely piece of work. Well done.

Dave
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

I'm currently waiting for the video to download, but looking at the screenshots, this looks like a very nice route! I can't wait to see it in action if it is released, and in fact it reminds me to get in to gear and start working on some of mine! :lol:

Great work!
James M, creator of the
network
stuartluff
Milepost 3

Post by stuartluff »

cyberdonblue wrote:Hi Stuart, a lovely piece of work. Just one small point though, if I may. Towards the end of your video, approaching the station, your signal with a No. 4 Flash (sorry, Route Indicator is the formal term) would not be such a signal in reality. That indicator will tell the driver that he is going to turn right at the first set of points leading that way (and that's all it tells him.) It is not sufficient, however, in your scenario given the extavagant pointwork you have on the approach to your station and the numerous options this provides for routes into different platforms. I would suggest that a Theatre Box Indicator would be a much better option which would allow you to advise your drivers of exactly which platform they are being directed to. Route knowledge then gives the driver a clue as to which sets of points he is to be travelling via and what speed he should be doing. In the real world, there are places where you can be directed to the same platform with the same indication 3 or 4 days in a row but you'll get there a diiferent way each time.

Don't worry too much about your signalling though. What I've seen of it is pretty good. Colour lights are generally fairly straightforward anyway. Most people make their mistakes with semaphore signalling. I think they get carried away with how many signals they can squeeze onto a gantry and don't really understand distant signals and the proper use and placement of them either. I've been quite surprised by some of the examples I've seen.

Anyway, if I can help you with any signalling problems that arise for you (I was a B.R Driver for 30 years) then please don't hesitate to ask. As I said though, a lovely piece of work. Well done.

Dave
Thanks Dave. The feather you refer to I wasn't sure about either and was probably going to discard it anyway. I was playing with the layout and the reason why it is there is because on that line if you didn't diverge right, the track actually runs past the station and rejoins the mainline after wards. Im using that for freight trains that don't need to stop at the station. As you've pointed out though I still don't think that warrants a feather. After that station at the end the two mainlines part and go separate ways. You can see the start of that in the distance but I'm still yet to decide on the exact layout at the moment any feathers you see as the train comes to a stop are likely to change.

Regarding using theatre letters/numbers Im not quite sure how that works in Trainz. Do I just add the theatre letter to the platform track (like feather route indicators) and then tell the signal to 'find the route'? Then depending on the way the points are set the theatre thingy on the signal (Im assuming one shows up like the feather does) will display the correct letter for the route set?

Im going to have a few single line branches to smaller towns and I think I will place a few semaphores along the way just to mix it up. The distant signal is the hardest part to understand but I think really it simply appears in the middle of a block with a 'red home' at each end right? Or is that 'too' simple a description? I will watch my BR signalling video again when I need to and figure it out properly, it does get a little complex in the video but if I watch it a few times Im sure it will click haha. Heres the youtube video link to the BR signalling film. Im sure many of you have seen it however. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAO3JbXYRnI

EDIT: I've figured out the Theatre set up. Quite simple really (when you remember to ad a signal 'after' everything. :)
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Hi Stuart,

Placing a theatre box is much the same as placing the feather. Place your 'Sig T Modelock Theatre' marker instead of the 'Sig T Modelock Feather' marker and then place your numbers in the relevant platforms. You might have to change the points backwards and forwards a few times to get everything to register but that's normal. Anything that doesn't show properly in "Surveyor" normally drops into place OK when you go into "Driver." If it doesn't then, Oops! back to the drawing board.

The best signals to work with, I find, are kuid2:60850:24007:4 and all the others in that range (including the gantry options.) When you've set everything up you can "click" on the question mark (where you choose what to instal) and then click on the signal. Another menu type panel pops up and you can tell your signal to update (and find a diverging route.) It will (or should) then install your theatre box or feather, whichever you've chosen - but as I said, you might have to play with the points a few times.

I think the signalling video is a bit long winded and aged (much like me :lol: .) It certainly looks at things through rose tinted glasses. I doubt you'll learn much from that very easily.

As for semaphore signals, well that can get pretty long winded too. I suppose the easiest way to explain a very basic set up of it would be to say:

Imagine that your house is a through route, open for public passage, but you can only let one person at a time pass through. People come through the front garden gate (only one person at a time, remember), through the front door, out the back door and then through your back gate and off into the sunset. However, the garden gates (front AND back) are controlled by somebody else (one for the front and a separate one for the back.). You only control the front and back doors. So, with those doors, you are controlling the passage of 'traffic.' However, you are still responsible for that "Traffic" until it leaves your back garden (i.e. it has passed through the back garden gate.) So, let's call the back garden "The Section."

Now let's call the front door your "Home Signal" and your back door your "Section Signal." (Home is arriving, Section is departing.)

For safety's sake you cannot allow anybody to pass through your house (let's call the house "Station Limits") while anyone already in the house is moving from room to room (shall we say, "shunting"?) or they may collide - not good!

Obviously, when the front door is open people can come into the house - and if you've opened the back door they can continue on out into the garden. Fine.

But these are impatient people passing through and they want to go as fast as they can so you need to find a way to let them know in advance of the front door whether or not they have a clear run straight through, unobstructed, and out the back door. So, you place a flagpole near the front garden gate. You advise everyone that if the flag is flying, they can pass through at full speed (because the front and back doors are open and their route is clear.) However, if the flag IS NOT flying then they should be prepared to come to a stand at the front door (because it could be shut.) Let's call the flagpole the "Distant Signal."

OK then, let's now put that into practice.

The man who controls the "Front Garden Gate" (let's call him "the signalman in the rear") telephones you and says that he's got a bloke coming down the street at a 100mph (a train?). The front garden is clear so is it OK to open the Front Garden Gate (in reality HIS Section Signal) and let this bloke through?

YOU say, " Yes, fine."

Now you need to find out if you can get a clear route for this madman to pass through unhindered. You telephone the man who controls the "Back Garden Gate" (let's call him "the signalman in advance") and tell him that this bloke's coming through flat out, the back garden is clear and you want to know if it's OK to let him through (into The Section.)

The Signalman in advance says, "Yes, Fine." [He may then (after doing what he needs to do) open the Back Gate (HIS Home Signal) and raise his flag (Distant Signal) but that's his business, not ours.]

Now you know you can offer a clear run straight through the house so you open the back door (Section Signal), the front door (Home Signal) and raise the flag at the front gate (Distant Signal). Our approaching lunatic now knows that he doesn't have to slow down and he's clear as far as the back garden gate at least.

I hope that explains a very, very basic way of how it works. There are thousands of other circumstances that have to be considered in the real world but as a starter you can't get much more basic than that. I hope it helps. If you've got any questions then please feel free to ask.

Dave
stuartluff
Milepost 3

Post by stuartluff »

Haha brilliant! I love a good (daft) analogy, I use them myself.

Regarding the 'modelock' thing you mentioned. I saw that in the asset list. Didn't have a clue what it was so ignored it and just placed the theatre letters A B C D on 4 tracks and told the sig 3A signal to 'update' and the theatre screen appeared on the signal and displayed the correct letter for the route set. The signal said 'route direction by theatre'. Do I actually need the 'modelock' thing and what is it exactly? It seemed to work without?!

(hopes for another analogy) :D
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

:lol: Glad you liked the analogy :lol: It's always easier to learn something if it makes you at least smile or better still, laugh.

If the Trainz signals work without the 'Sig T Modelock...' lark then great. I'm used to doing it the old way but some of the cleverer people have updated signals, issued new ones and so on and so forth so things are much better and often easier to place. Looks like you've taught ME something new :lol:

Dave
stuartluff
Milepost 3

Post by stuartluff »

I'll set up the theatre signals at both stations in the video and show a few screenshots later. Eventually I'll need to figure out multiple signals triggers for all the crossovers on station approaches. That might get messy haha. I've found a PDF explaining it somewhat but I'll see how it goes.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

The signal modelock's are required if there is a situation where a signal may see a Theatre board and feather board that's been placed on the same section of track . It locks the signal into a specific type .

In the above map the signals will display the correct indicator , the lower main line signal requiring a theatre as it reads to 5 routes .
If you don't have the modelock's in place then both of the signals will read which ever board it comes to first and will chop and change indicators to suit !!
It will ignore any boards placed after the first one it reads . The modelock's ensure that a signal will only look for a specific type of board and will ignore the other type .

In real life some setup's don't have the "M" indication when travelling along the mainline especially if line speeds are high , choosing only to show a main aspect when the route is cleared along the main line . The theatre indication would be illuminated for all other routes as the speeds through the turnouts would be lower .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

I finally find out what the modelock is for!!!
stuartluff
Milepost 3

Post by stuartluff »

Nexusdj wrote:The signal modelock's are required if there is a situation where a signal may see a Theatre board and feather board that's been placed on the same section of track . It locks the signal into a specific type .

In the above map the signals will display the correct indicator , the lower main line signal requiring a theatre as it reads to 5 routes .
If you don't have the modelock's in place then both of the signals will read which ever board it comes to first and will chop and change indicators to suit !!
It will ignore any boards placed after the first one it reads . The modelock's ensure that a signal will only look for a specific type of board and will ignore the other type .

In real life some setup's don't have the "M" indication when travelling along the mainline especially if line speeds are high , choosing only to show a main aspect when the route is cleared along the main line . The theatre indication would be illuminated for all other routes as the speeds through the turnouts would be lower .
Thanks Nexusdj.

I've added theatre signalling to both stations now (with mode-lock) ;)

Little vid below (165mb - 6 min) shows a little bit of the yard on the route.

http://www.twoninetythree.com/langworth_yard.mp4
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

I've learnt something about the modelocks too. Thanks Dave (Nexusdj.) :D Looks like we're all learning a bit today, Stuart. Great little video too.

Dave
jack24
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2.6
Trainz Build: 3337

Post by jack24 »

Great vid but may I ask why the signal changes from green to red and back to green again at 2:11 ?
Jack24
The canary
stuartluff
Milepost 3

Post by stuartluff »

jack24 wrote:Great vid but may I ask why the signal changes from green to red and back to green again at 2:11 ?
Im not sure to be honest. It did it that one time so maybe just a one off glitch. Although I will be looking into it. Also the graphical glitch on the track appeared as I join the main line which I've not seen before. I've very slightly altered the height of terrain under the track to see if that changes anything but its only done it once so I'm not sure about that either?! As we all know though Trainz is buggy as hell!