Discuss routes currently being created.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Aylesbury to London Marylebone

Post by cyberdonblue »

Now that a considerable amount of work has been completed (but nowhere near the finishing line yet), I thought I'd start a thread to show how things are progressing. Actually, it was someone else's idea, but a good one all the same.

The route starts at Aylesbury on the old Great Central Railway but I'm still having quite a considerable war with myself about how modern Aylesbury should look and should I include anything north of there or not (Aylesbury Vale Parkway?) I've put something like the maintenance depot in place for now too but, as (my) Aylesbury Station itself will be undergoing a major rebuild shortly - for reasons you will understand when you see it completed - I'm still not certain if I'll keep the depot. I may go a little further back in history and just have the carriage sidings at the other end of the station. We'll see.

The track is pretty much laid throughout now, with the exception of the LT branches to Uxbridge and Stanmore and a little bit at Watford Met station following a disastrous bit of housekeeping on my part (I accidently deleted the station... :roll: Don't ask...). These areas will be completed at some point though so don't worry if you're an LT fan.

(above) Oops! I accidently deleted this bit... (you can imagine how pleased I was.)

(above) Stoke Mandeville

(above) Stoke Mandeville

(above) Wendover

(above) The southern outskirts of Wendover looking back towards the town (London Road)

(above) Great Missenden

At this point - Amersham -, the old GCR comes together with the old Metropolitan Railway (or BR with London Transport, depending on how you look at it.)

(above) Amersham

(above) London Underground's turn round sidings were a bit of a pain in the proverbial for me because of the considerable slope that the railway occupies at this point

(above) Chalfont & Latimer. LU used to run a 4 car shuttle service to Chesham from here. Services feed into Chesham from further afield these days but if the shuttle was still running ( or it were to be reinstated) it would be the only 4 car service on the entire Underground network.

(above) Chorleywood. There's still much to do in this neck of the woods

(above) Rickmansworth (looking northwards.) The first outward signs of things beginning to get a little busier start showing around this stage of the journey

(above) Rickmansworth WIP

(above) The south side of Rickmansworth approaching the station.

(above) London Underground's carriage sidings at the south end of Rickmansworth

More to follow...

Cheers

Dave
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Re: Aylesbury to London Marylebone

Post by cyberdonblue »

Continuing on:

(above) Moor Park looking northwards

(above) Northwood

(above) Northwood again

(above) Pinner looking towards Harrow

(above) Countryside

(above) ...more countryside...

(above) ...and tons more countryside still to do.

(above) North Harrow

(above) Looking back towards North Harrow. The Branch from Uxbridge joins on the left and passes underneath before resurfacing in between the four lines to Rickmansworth and then running into Harrow on the Hill.

(above) The approaches to Harrow on the Hill station from the north.

(above) Harrow on the Hill station.

(above) A broader view of Harrow on the Hill station.

(above) Approaching Harrow on the Hill from the south.

More to follow...

Cheers

Dave
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

I will also take the opportunity to announce that with CyberdonBlues permission I intend to extend Central London line to Aylesbury by merging CLL with his route. I'm also creating many of the station buildings, more details to follow soon.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

Sublime. :drool:
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Yes, many thanks to Karl (klambert) for the excellent assets he's provided so far. I never mentioned them too loudly before because I was waiting for Karl to reveal his involvement in this project. He is responsible for renewing my flagging enthusiasm by providing some great stuff and - as he says - there's plenty more in the pipeline.

And while I'm here...

(above) Leaving Harrow and travelling towards Preston Road we cross the West Coast Main Line between South Kenton and Kenton

(above) Just outside Wembley Park station looking north. If you're heading for Stanmore, the branch line heads off to the right at this point

(above) Wembley Park (looking northwards and still very much W.I.P) is a very busy area. There are sidings on the right hand side for stabling units and Neaseden Depot is a stone's throw away to the south.

(above) The site of Wembley Park Station (complete with "Wembley Way" for those who know their football) looking southwards.

(above) Looking southwards from Wembley Park. Things are now starting to get seriously busy on the LU side.

(above) It's going to take more than an hour to put some flesh on these bones. Neaseden LU Depot.

Plenty more to follow...

Cheers

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

Looks superb so far Dave.
kenneth37043
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TS2012, TANE
Trainz Build: 84204
Author KUID: 212534

Post by kenneth37043 »

Dave, what a fantastic little (errhum!! ;) ) project. I hate to think how many hours you've spent so far but I know it will several more before its near completion. Its always nice to see the evolution of routes people are building especially those that have that eye for detail. The chance for a link straight into Karl's CLL is great news too. Always nice when things come together. Give yourself a pat on the back you deserve it.
Cheers, Kenneth
-------------------
kenneth37043 aka Calder Depot. http://www.flickr.com/photos/calderdepot/ Also featuring screenshots from Trainz
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Thank you fellers for the very kind remarks. It makes the worst hours of tedium and grind bearable when people show such wonderful appreciation. Thank you.

As I'm sure you fellers know, some days the work flies into place almost without effort, but others... and those are the ones I'm on about. When you know you've just got to stick at it (and maintain the proper standard) even though you just want to shut it down and bugger off and do something else, those are the days that hurt.

I hope to be able to post some more screenshots later. There's so much more still to show - for the simple reason that if things DO get on top of me I move on to another area of the route and do something more relaxing. Not very ordered, I know, but the bonus is that it means that there are several places where things are more well developed and that can often lift the spirits on a bad day and encourage a new sense of commitment to connect it all up.

Thanks again.

Cheers

Dave
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

A few more shots to add to the collection:

(above) Willesden Green

(above) Brondesbury Bowling Club near Kilburn

(above) Kilburn looking northwards

(above) Kilburn looking southwards

(above) Approaching West Hampstead

(above) West Hampstead

(above) Three Hampstead stations all in a row (from left: Midland, Nth London Line and LU)

(above) Approaching Finchley Road pre-Sainsbury's

(above) Finchley Road pre-Sainsbury's

(above) Approaching London Marylebone 1980's style

(above) Fuelling and stabling points at Marylebone 1980's style

(above) Tons more work to be done on Marylebone itself but most of the trackwork is now complete

More updates to follow as things progress.

Cheers

Dave
ScottAS2
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 95078
Author KUID: 306203

Post by ScottAS2 »

Wow. This is already amazing. I can't begin to imagine what it'll be like when everything's fleshed out and it's all joined up.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Just a quick update to let you know that things are still moving ahead - a little slowly lately but never mind. Real life keeps getting in the way.

(above) A 501 Heading towards Kenton on the D.C next to the WCML

(above) An overview of the immediate Stanmore area. The station buildings have not been built yet although the platforms are in place.

(above) An LT train leaving Stanmore

(above) The approach from the Neasden end to what will be Wembley Park

(above) Looking across to the Wembley area from Neasden Depot's north end

(above) Looking back at Wembley from the Dollis Hill end. Wembley Stadium will be behind the large blue and green buildings in the centre of the picture

More updates as and when.

Cheers

Dave
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Another update showing some of the fruits of many hours labouring away on the Stanmore Branch and, thanks to Karl Lambert (klambert) and yet another excellent station building, a complete rebuild of Chalfont and Latimer station giving it a more authentic appearance. Thanks again, Karl. There's still more than plenty to do so the project is a long way from complete.

(above) Kingsbury station looking northish

(above) Queensbury station looking south

Image[/url]

(above) Barnet Football Club's stadium between Queensbury and Cannons Park stations

Image[/url]

(above) Barnet Football Club's training ground behind their stadium

(above) Canons Park looking towards Stanmore

Image[/url]

(above) A slightly wider view of Canons Park looking towards Stanmore

Moving back to the mainline:

(above) Chalfont & Latimer as it was...

(above) ...and a much more authentic Chalfont & Latimer now

(above) The "new" Chalfont & Latimer looking southwards...

(above) ... and looking northwards towards Amersham and the Chesham Branch

Much more to follow, as and when things develop. Thanks for your interest.

Cheers

Dave
Jacks trainz
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS2022
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 672927

Post by Jacks trainz »

The route looks fantastic. Looks like many hours of hard work. Well done

Regards jack
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Many thanks, Jack. Yes, there've been a fair few hours spent on this so far - as all route builders will understand. I'm learning new ways all the time and, in particular, I've learnt to decide what is critically important and what can be hidden or blurred into the background, especially when you're trying to model something around such a busy urban area the size of London. There's still much to learn too, I'm sure.

Thanks again for your kind words.

Cheers

Dave
trainzrule
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: T:ANE

Post by trainzrule »

Is this going to be modern or BR?
Id love to see some Chiltern stock on that wonderful route. Looks really good sofar. 8-) :)