Discuss routes currently being created.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Re: Aylesbury to London Marylebone

Post by cyberdonblue »

Now that my health is considerably restored, I thought I'd better get on a do some work. Most of it has been the "fiddly bits" putting detail in here and there but there's been some good progress "in the countryside", as it were, too.

Having seen some great photos of Aylesbury station in the 1970's and having also aquired a track plan of Aylesbury South Signal Box, I decided to take the station back in time and restore the "back roads" - the storage sidings alongside the old bay platform (first picture.) Along with the semaphore signalling, I hope this will please our steam buffs too. You may also notice that the canopies are currently missing from the platforms. Well, look closer and you'll see there are now two more new buildings in situ and so new canopies are under construction to fit the new platform layout. I do appreciate that a whole lot of "artistic licence" has been taken here as the surrounding districts are pretty much the modern structures of Aylesbury today but I can't help that really as I have little or no reliable information about what it looked like before. If possible, I want to try and keep railway things around the 1960 - 1985 time span. The surrounding scenery is a best effort. Not historically accurate by any means but with no less care taken about its construction.

(above) Just one of the time consuming fiddly bits. The allotments alongside the Branch Line to Princes Risborough

(above) The new ballast texture has made quite a satisfying difference too.

(above) I now have track laid all the way to Chesham but...

(above) ...the town is yet to rise from the abyss

(above) Other detail includes flats and houses at Finchley Road...

(above) ...new LT Cable Gantries replacing the non-DLS stuff that was there before...

(above) ...and various crossings and bridges being constructed

Many thanks for your continued interest.

Cheers

Dave
MF01
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 90946

Post by MF01 »

Bloody hell what a nice work !!! I suppose that you used TransDem ?
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

Excellent work Dave.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Thanks Innis and MF01.

MF01, yes TransDEM is the basis for everything within this route. I just colour it in, as it were.

Cheers

Dave
Mightyena
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Author KUID: 688183

Post by Mightyena »

This is looking fantastic, some really great work there!
James M, creator of the
network
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Thanks James. A brief update while I'm at it. Chesham has finally started to appear. To make the branch line a little more interesting for Trainz users I decided to put the 3 roads it used to have at Chesham station back in place, instead of the one road it has in this day and age. I haven't been able to find a reliable enough track plan or I'd have been tempted to put the goods yard back in place too.

Cheers

Dave
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

...and one more from this evening's work.

Cheers

Dave
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

My little steam trip:

I can't see how there's still a housing shortage in this country. I must've built 3 million of 'em in the last week alone :lol:

Cheers

Dave
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Just a few pictures to highlight the fact that I haven't given up. Most of the current work now is the boring stuff; filling in the backgrounds and adding the little details here and there. As you may have seen from klambert's (Berkshiretrainz Station Buildings and Structures) thread there are more than a few items that he is now releasing generally that are used throughout this route and I can thoroughly recommend them to anyone who is thinking of using them. Some of the items are still to be released but they'll be on the DLS sooner rather than later, I'm sure. Once Karl has completed the Marylebone buildings - which he is currently working on - then that area of the route can be worked on in more detail and I'll keep you posted re: progress. There is much to be done in that area to catch up with the rest of the route.

(above) The new Aylesbury station buildings and canopies as made by Karl (klambert)

(above) The new older Aylesbury station

(above) Back to the 70s and 80s look

(above) The typical BR 70s and early 80s mixture of upper and lower quadrant signals

(above) A Gt Missenden departure for London Marylebone

(above) A recently added feature - Gt Missenden Cricket Club - and the local housing in the background

(above) Another addition, the seemingly endless woodland is a feature of the early part of the route

(above) Looking south along the platform at Rickmansworth some more of Karl's [klambert] excellent work can be seen in the form of station buildings and canopies.

Many thanks for the continued interest and compliments. It's taken a bit longer than I expected to get where I am at the moment but it shouldn't be too long more before the end is finally somewhere on the horizon, if not closer.

Cheers

Dave
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

Been working on Marylebone, it's quite an ambitious project and I'm mostly using 3DS max for the first time for trainz models, had a Sunday spare so I took some renders of progress so far.
As can be seen, still lots to do.

http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

Stunning Karl. Absolutely beautiful. I look forward to seeing the masterpiece when it's complete. :drool:

Cheers

Dave
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

:D
Back on the trail, as it were.

I have a superb looking working model of the Marylebone station buildings in place (which I won't reveal right now because Karl's masterpiece is not finished yet and I haven't asked for his permission to do so anyway.) This has led me to get stuck into the surrounding area and I've done a fair bit but I'm here asking for help again. Does anybody know if there's a good representation of these Georgian style houses (below) anywhere in the Trainz world? I've been through just about every house that Dom Sarto has made and a good few others besides but they just don't feel right for this particular scene.

Some of Dom Sarto's stuff is great for this area but not these particular streets (above) that run adjacent to Marylebone.

These particular DS ones (above) are almost ideal for this part of the area that fronts the main road.

Again, any help would be appreciated because there doesn't seem to be much Georgian architecture in Trainz that is representative of these London areas. Your recommendations don't necessarily have to be on the DLS. If they're on another site somewhere and they're worth downloading then I'd love to hear about them.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Dave
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

Of course you may show Marylebone here Dave ;)

In regards to the houses, I quite agree, I've used his Georgian stuff extensively for CLL but I agree it does require some Georgian London yellow brick houses. It'd be quite easy to reskin the houses, the hard part will be contacting Domsarto.

A little project I've had going on in the background is creating one of the two storey terraces, also very common around London. See attached picture.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

:D

Thanks Karl, I may well post a few pictures a little later on. Those two storey houses look great too.

Cheers

Dave

Here's a couple of little pictures that I've got hanging about at the moment (and a couple of quick ones that I took this morning.) Things have progressed a little since most of these were done but there's still loads to do around this particular patch. However, it gives you a quick look at Karl's excellent work on the station buildings so far, and that's the main intention here:

Cheers

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

All looks great Dave and Karl. I'll see if I can get a hold of Domsarto re his Georgian houses.