Has anybody built a working Helix?

Discuss routes currently being created.
Shippy2013
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 61383

Has anybody built a working Helix?

Post by Shippy2013 »

Was just wondering if anyone had built a working helix in trainz or if it was even possible. How big would it need to be, what are the maximum gradients allowed so trains don't get stuck if they were to stop within it.

I have built a circular route and would like occasionally just to sit at the track side and have a steady stream of trains coasting by however my route is a scale 15miles and has approx 20 signal sections so the most trains it can hold in each direction is maybe 7 or 8 before they start encountering Yellow or Red signals from catching each other up.

What I would like to do is break the circuit and send the lines off scene to a couple of nonscenic boards and have them trundle round a helix possibly adding 15 or 20 signal sections in a much smaller space. Is this possible, has anyone built a helix that could be downloaded and merged with my route....
RowanTrodd
Milepost 3

Re: Has anybody built a working Helix?

Post by RowanTrodd »

A different take on this could be to use portals at the ends/spurs of your route and a portal manager - you can set the AI to arrive at a certain time and follow any instructions. This means you can run a wider variety of trains with no repeats (unless you want to!) and means that you can schedule a train to say: arrive, visit all stations ... *anything you want*... and leave again. I personally advise using something like the AI 'wait until minute' control to create a timetabled service. EG: CallAtStation1 -> load -> WaitUntilMinute(15) -> CallAtStation2 -> load...
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

Another take would be to a build multiple board extension out from the side of the layout about 9 or 10 boards in length . Run 2 or more tracks for the full length of the extension as a loop . Fit multiple signalling sections (at equal distances) and have the first 3 or 4 board lengths at the layout end set at the same track speed as the lines exiting the existing part . After that reduce the track speed down to 20 or 30 MPH for the remainder of the boards . Trains will exit the existing part of the layout and then take a fairly large amount of time to return . The initial 3 or 4 board lengths at the higher speed ensures you don't experience any visual bottlenecking of trains on the scenic part of the route .

I have multiple routes that make use of this feature , Trains leave the scenic area and don't return for between 40 and 60+ minutes ! There's no distant pointwork to worry about or portals to set up at the start of a session and once a train is in motion you can forget about it until it returns . You can vary the distance and lower speeds to suit your own preferences . It looks ungainly in the map view but it's simple to operate and a lot easier to build than a helix with curves and track layered at different levels .
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Shippy2013
Past 100!

Post by Shippy2013 »

I'm attempting to build one. I've got one board and I've created four circuits. A double track spiral heading down 10 levels and then back up again. I've used the whole width and depth of one board and hopefully a fall and rise of 6.7 over the circumference approx 5,800feet will not create to steep of a hill, each quarter of the circle falls and rises 1.7 over a scale 1,250 feet or there abouts. This way I've been able to create 40 signal sections a scale 2,950 feet long ish. All within the confines of one board.

EDIT:

I'll implement your speed limit idea though. Planning on placing the helix 3 or 4 boards from the main scenic section trains will enter/exit through a tunnel at line speed 90/110mph I'll then drop this down to 40mph for the Helix. On exiting the speed will rise back upto 90/110mph the Line speed were trains enter/exit through another tunnel. I've used NexusdJ's low poly tunnel track as no need for details off scene. And have 4 aspect signaling at approx 2,950feet intervals. Hopefully the length of these signal sections will stop bunching up of trains. And if I make the signal sections on the exits longer it will allow the trains to put some distance between each other before re entering the scenic area.
Shippy2013
Past 100!

Post by Shippy2013 »

here's the working example. if anybody want to use it ill upload it as a .CDP if someone will tell me how. a have a .cdp saved on my desktop but don't know how to share.
It is a scale 5,800feet diameter, has over 40 signal sections at approx 2,950feet long. working speed limit of 60mph and maximum gradient of 1.7 over approx. 1,475feet. a Class 58 with 38 loaded HAA's easily tackles it........ double track in and double out. recommend setting it 2 or 3 boards off the working layout.
Last edited by Shippy2013 on Tue Mar 28, 2017 2:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

Fairly impressive work!
Shippy2013
Past 100!

Post by Shippy2013 »

It's on the DLS anybody wants to use it search helix...