Discuss routes currently being created.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Re: Stamford - Gramsby aka The Gramsby Line

Post by cyberdonblue »

I'd hold back on that and release everything at the same time, if I were you.

Cheers

Dave
car112
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TRS19
Trainz Build: 116313
Author KUID: 533914

Post by car112 »

cyberdonblue wrote:I'd hold back on that and release everything at the same time, if I were you.

Cheers

Dave
I understand. I'll release everything necessary for the route when ready. I will give credit as well. Thank you.
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

So, progress on the route is going along well. I've finished fixing up the destination textures but I haven't been able to use them because the destination textures have not be uploaded to the DLS yet. Also, I'm thinking about extending the platforms so that 8 to 12 car trains can be used. The North Stamford yard only has four tracks and I don't really know how to build a maintenance yard for the class 478 trainsets. I do know what asset to use as a car wash but for the storage sheds, sidings, and platforms, I have no clue how to put them in place. If there was a make your own train yard planner or something in comparison, that would be greatly appreciated.

I will be posting screenshots during the weekend as well. I find it rather upsetting that this site is not very active as it should be. I'm quite fond of British railway infrastructure and at one time, didn't know that this site even existed.

I would like to thank those who have helped me so far and for their support.

Take care and stay awesome.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

Fair play to you on starting this route and you seem to be progressing well. By way of feedback, if I may suggest reducing your post count so you aren't updating us every time you make a change but instead, save your posts for when you have something new to show, perhaps once every week or two. Otherwise, you may find that people get post 'fatigue' and stop reading them. An update with a picture of two every now and again is what piques my interest most.
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

PFX wrote:Fair play to you on starting this route and you seem to be progressing well. By way of feedback, if I may suggest reducing your post count so you aren't updating us every time you make a change but instead, save your posts for when you have something new to show, perhaps once every week or two. Otherwise, you may find that people get post 'fatigue' and stop reading them. An update with a picture of two every now and again is what piques my interest most.
Thank you. I'll keep this in mind.
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone. Here's a quick update.

First off, I think I won't be able to use the class 478/2 rolling stock for this route. You see, some passengers in the seats are not positioned correctly, with a few sitting alongside the walls of the train, not in the seats.

Is there a rolling stock consist that has changeable destination signs (or a electronic destination board for example on a Class 150) that includes a PTSO unit and can reskin if I ask for permission first? I'll see if I can work on the route this week and I will post screenshots on Friday.

Take care and stay awesome.
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone. Here's another update. Since I will be going back to college on Monday, I will be taking a break from working on this route. In other words, I'll be devoting my time to working on this route during the weekends and if I have enough free time during the week. Also, I had to reinstall Trainz 2012. Currently, the Trainz 2012 version I have now is 46957. I don't think the hotfix from 46957 to 61388 doesn't work but when downloaded, what folder does it belong in? This goes for the method of downloading separate servicepack updates. Also, I will be reinstalling TS12 as well.

This project is now on hiatus.

Thank you all and stay awesome.
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone! It's Labor Day weekend here in the United States and I've come up with a brand new idea. I'm changing my original idea for this route. Instead of using the 25kv catenary and the class 477 rolling stock, I have decided to use different assets instead.

For the first time ever, I will have a route with LBSCR South London EMU and SR South London EMU rolling stock used, along with using the correct catenary. This route will take a awhile to be completed, but I will make sure to post screenshots every month or so. With college in the way, I will working on this minimally. If anyone has any tips on building the LBSCR Catenary or any other route building tips in general, please let me know. Recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Also, is there a way that you can change the height of the catenary wires so that the LBSCR South London EMU pantograph can touch the 25kv wire?

Thank you all, keep up the good work, and stay awesome. :D
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone! Please refer to this thread for the next post.

https://forums.auran.com/trainz/showthr ... ost1622504

I don't know how to sync both threads. Thank you.
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone. Sorry I have been inactive on here for awhile. So far, the route is going along very well, already at Ferndochty. I would like to announce that all further updates to this route will be on the Trainz Discussion Forums. The link to the thread is in the previous post. Thank you and stay awesome.
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

I'm currently taking a hiatus on this route, but I would like to mention that I think it would be a better idea if I had the LBSCR Catenary be used as a separate layer instead having everything in one layer. I'll see if I can work on that this week. Thank you and stay awesome. 8-)
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

I've decided to restart this route from the very beginning. I just need to do some research on railway infrastructure, laying down tracks, and catenary construction. I'll post screenshots when I have some progress made.

Happy New Year and stay awesome. ^^
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone! I have great news. I recently restarted my route and I'm currently working on Stamford station. In other words, I'm starting from the other direction.

Here are some screenshots. Please enjoy.

Here is a view of Stamford Station. The main express platforms will be platforms 1-4. The local platforms are 5-8 and a private express service can be accessed on platforms 9-10.

Here are the faregates inside the station under the main roof. To the right is the main waiting room.

Here is a view of platforms 9 and 10. Still a work in progress here. The main waiting room is in view.

Here is a view of the station concourse with many amenities.

And here is the back of the station where the main station building will be.

I'm sorry to say this but I'm very bad at trying to begin a route. I would like to list my questions I have about starting a route. I greatly appreciate feedback, comments, and questions about my route.

1. When should I construct the catenary on the route?
2. How can I improve track structure without being disoriented?
3. How can I improve a station interior?
4. What can I avoid in order not to create a bad start for my route?
5. Would anyone be willing to watch me create my route and help me while I build it?

I have so many other questions, but I'm worried that they won't be answered. Help would be greatly appreciated. Please send me a private message if need be.

Thank you all and stay awesome.
car112
Past 100!

Post by car112 »

Hello everyone. I now have some really bad news. I'm having trouble trying to start this route. I can't find any suitable terminal buildings, the platforms are a mess, and everything is just discombobulated. In other words, I really need help. If anyone has tips, tricks, and/or information that can be helpful to route making, that would be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry but I hate giving up on a route that I've been working on for awhile.

Take care everyone and stay awesome.

P.S. If you guys want me to stream on Twitch so that you can see me build the route, that would be helpful too.
RowanTrodd
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: TS12

Post by RowanTrodd »

Don't panic, all of us route builders hit this phase in a project - and there are many different ways to overcome this (an equivalent to writers' block).
-I HATE starting at a terminus, whilst is may seem like a natural start/stop point, building outwards from a 2-track 'normal' station is a much better springboard.

-Try focusing on things in this order (tried and tested by me, but you may find it different): Terrain (hills, valleys, rivers, coastline etc.), Natural textures (fill in grass/rock/dirt). Once that stage is complete, place some 'blank' stations in the locations you feel deserve a settlement (don't worry about alignment or number of platforms - it's just a marker). Then, identify the route between the stations which has the least resistance from the terrain - don't go tunnelling or bridging unless you need to (I've found this makes a more natural route and prevents having 1 straight line, which isn't often the case in the UK!).

-Once you have laid the track path (1 track or multiple), make cuttings and embankments through the scenery, add necessary bridges and tunnels - mark any location you want to have a level crossing, we'll add them properly later.

-Add proper stations, of the desired size. Don't worry about details for now, if you're using AJS stations, you don't even need platform yet. Name them (even if it's a working name)

-Now, you should have a 'middle section' to your route with track, realistic terrain and stations dotted along the length of it.

-The next step is to start thinking about junctions and any sets of points/goods yards/sidings etc. You don't need to make all of the sidings now, just the sets in and out of the main line.

-Wire-in any level crossings with traffic stoppers - don't do the ATLS markers just yet.

-Then, come three things which fit quite nicely together: Signals, speed limits and changing the default junction levers to something more appropriate. (If you are using overhead electric lines, these should be added now, too). Once you know what speed the line will do across level crossings, place the ATLS markers accordingly.

-Once the signals are in, add AWS before each one. If you have any sudden low-speed corners, you'll want to add a permanent magnet before that too.

-By now, you have something which is probably ready to run some trains, a nice break from building and gives you driver's insight into your route.

-Then, it's time to make your stations look good, add platforms and all the bits of 'platform furniture' you'd expect. Add the station buildings (if any) first. Then canopies and then lamps/seats/signs etc. Use a train in surveyor mode to ensure platforms are long enough and the platform markers (eg: "4 car stop") are placed at sensible locations down the line.

- Build your towns, cities, roads and natural spaces - this is what takes the time, so be prepared to stop-and-start and keep mixing it up by having a driving session to see what your developments look like from the train.

-Finishing touches: Add any 'little' thing that you feel belongs - a few cows/sheep, relay cabinets and so-on. The only limit is your creativity!

Hope this helps, it's a process I've been working on since TRS2006! Remember, start off small and then build out, the terminus should be one of the last things to deal with, meaning you'll have loads of experience by then. Good luck!