Discuss routes currently being created.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Re: Central Scotland - Edinburgh - Glasgow - Dunblane

Post by PFX »

I'm looking for a bit of help tonight.

I'm sure I've seen something that would pass but I can't find it. I'm after a footbridge or at least stairs, similar to that pictured below. I can use tmz06003's bridge kit side panels and combine them with something to give a decent approximation of the bridge, but I'm unable to find some suitable stairs that would come close. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Innis

Dean_Forest
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TS12 + S&C

Post by Dean_Forest »

clam1952 wrote:I've had to use a combination of Lidar and OS on the L&B as there wasn't full Lidar Coverage, there was a about a 2 or 3m height difference where the Lidar tiles joined the OS tiles which was easy enough to smooth out.
The data having been captured to detect flood risk, coverage is indeed sparser in upland areas and other places away from rivers. Luckily, when I was making a DEM for PortLineParker's Swanage route the gaps were away from the main area of interest. I've run into similar problems with North Wales data, not an issue with distant mountains but when you are contemplating lines which go UP said mountains, the loss of resolution is a pain. The Environment Agency has announced that they'll be going for full coverage but whether Natural Resources Wales follow suit remains to be seen.
PFX wrote:Unfortunately LIDAR data is only available for a very limited area of Scotland. It was my first port of call. I've used OS data for this.
Indeed, SEPA has been slower on the uptake than the EA and NRW where open data is concerned, they only started releasing their data to the public in 2017. If anyone fancies modelling the Isle of Man meanwhile, sourcing LiDAR data will set you back up to £7k!
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Haymarket looking a bit more like Haymarket now. I've also removed the hill in the distance that was in the place of Princes St gardens.

And just to prove it, this is the section through the gardens with track complete. The Mound tunnels are central in this shot with the volcanic plug that Edinburgh castle sits on, to the left. I fear Waverley could take some time to get the track down.

cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Looking good, Innis. Yes, major stations tend to have this bad habit of tying your eyeballs in knots as you try to follow the track plans so take your time. :shock:

Cheers ;)

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Not much to update right now. I started to get wired into the track at Waverley but I've been doing so many hours on this, it would appear I've given myself some sort of RSI. I'm taking a short break from the route and letting myself recover before getting back into it. As it stands, once Waverley is out the way, I'll be heading a short distance north of the Forth and then west to Stirling and Dunblane.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

After a short burst of ill health, I'm in the same boat Innis. It's a mild form of "burn out" I think. You just reach a sort of saturation point and run out of inspiration. You need to turn your attentions elsewhere completely to rebuild the enthusiasm. A total change of direction for a bit usually does the trick for me anyway.

Take it easy.

Cheers

Dave
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

When I feel burnt out I either turn to the darkside (Railworks , Train sim world) or I go and watch some of the Trainz route building videos on YouTube .
Most of the decent ones are American but the same route building principles apply :

Approach medium video's (US) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQsNKcjNgXI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZuJbXYuXOk

Bluewizard (UK) :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2YVGlygZeno

or try watching Edinburgh Waverley in :

Model form
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=at0h08AGsMU

Or the real thing :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCRYKXhmEm4
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Thanks guys. For once, it's not burn out. I'm still enjoying every second of working on this so far but my elbow and wrist are feeling it. I'm looking forward to commencing it make look like the areas it's meant to represent.

I like to take a break and do a bit of a drive in TS19 too. Nothing dark side about it. Driving wise, it's way ahead of Train though somewhat heavier on the wallet.

Those Waverley videos are great. I used to stand and watch the trains come and go there when we were through in Edinburgh on weekends. I'd forgotten there was so much variety.

Cheers,
Innis
Last edited by PFX on Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

PFX wrote:...Those Waverley videos are great. I used to stand and watch the trains come and go there when we were through in Edinburgh on weekends. I'd forgotten there was so much variety.

Cheers,
Innis
How nice it is to see the variety of our beautiful British traction without those stupid bloody great big headlights that the Americans feel unable to live without and the modernday brain dead idiots that run our railways seem to think must be important because the Americans use them. The only thing that headlights on trains succeed in doing is blinding the bloke coming the other way, especially at night and especially with this mad superbright modern stuff. The idiots that think it's a good idea should be made to stand 5 yards in front of one of these dazzling lights and stare at it incessantly for 7 days 24 hours a day. If they still think it's a good idea they should then be sectioned. [rant over :lol: ]

Seriously though, it was a beautiful era and a very emotionally rewarding pleasure to drive trains throughout that time. Like almost everything else in this country though, it was all very quickly sabotaged in the name of private equity. Nowadays? A monkey could drive that plastic stuff - and probably will in the next 5 years :o

Cheers ;)

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Monkeys need paid Dave. Skynet will be doing all the driving right before it eradicates the human race.
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Some tangible progress again.

Waverley is proving extremely time consuming and is probably the most complex track I've attempted to date. I suspect Stirling will be similar. Glasgow Queen street was relatively straight forward by comparision. The scenery, although relevant to the area, is more of a guide than the final location as it helps me work out track position in relation to actual maps.

I've been using a number of sources to try and keep things as realistic as possible. For the majority, I use the Scottish sectional appendix which doesn't give any geographical information as such but it's actually very useful for points, names and definitely for speed limits! I've found Old Maps is another useful source along with the Edinburgh planning portal which has detailed plans of Waverley. Google and Railscot have both been invaluable so far for images which can often show me something I can't decipher from a map or satellite image.

Looking east from the westernmost part of Princes Street gardens.

Looking west from The Mound.

Looking east from the same place. Platforms 11 (far right) - 18 are completed.

PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

The hours spent on track work on the west side of Waverley has broken the back of it. A few short hours subsequent to my last post and things have progressed fairly quickly.

This if looking east towards the platforms as before, only slightly closer to the station. Hopefully this gives an idea of progress?

Looking west from the platforms towards the mound. I've added some signals and route indicators are working correctly, or so I hope.

PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

No recent updates due to my still very sore elbow, but I finally managed to get the track completed at Waverley. That means I have a complete route between Edinburgh and Glasgow, with only the section north of Larbert and Dalmeny to do.

Looking east into Waverley.

Looking from the opposite end of the station.

PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Greetings all.

I'm looking for a few recommendations for scenery. As the large majority of track is now done, I'm going to take a break from that and start adding some initial scenery, starting with Princes Street. I've made a start using DomSarto's larger commercial buildings and I also have the Caley hotel for the other end but I'm looking for any other buildings with are of a suitable size and style which wouldn't look out of place on the street. They don't need to be perfect, just enough to give the right impression.

Many thanks,
Innis

What I have so far. There's a mile of this to cover!

PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Compare the previous shot with this one and even the most basic scenery should now give a clue as to the location. Or at least, I hope it does. Once question that arises from this is in the lower right hand corner. I've noticed that the doors on the Scotrail 158 appear lighter than the rest of the carriage. Has anyone else noticed this or is it unique the the beta version I'm on?