Which is better? G-Max, Blender or 3DSmax? (For Beginners)

Help with modelling 3D content for Trainz.
fizzywizzy
Past 250!
Trainz Version: Trainz 2009

Which is better? G-Max, Blender or 3DSmax? (For Beginners)

Post by fizzywizzy »

Hi all. I am fairly new to creating content and reskinning, but which program would you recommend me for simple reskinning and content creations?
SnakeLight64
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS2019/2022
Trainz Build: 0
Author KUID: 563140

Re: Which is better? G-Max, Blender or 3DSmax? (For Beginner

Post by SnakeLight64 »

I'm using GMAX 1.2 with Trainz Asset Creation Studio

I got this from squit13 on my London Underground Content topic this should help you get started.
I would advise following 2 or 3 tutorials to start with, because then you have a better idea about the porgram. Its best to start of by making simple items, and build in confidence. In terms of good tutorials, the best I can think of are those at 'world of trainz'(http://www.worldoftrainz.com/Pages/Tutorials.htm) although these are mainly around loco's they still focus on the producing of 3d models using the same tools etc.
The best first tutorial I can ever reccomend is this one (http://trainz.christrup.net/TRS/tut5.html). I found it very easy to follow, and learnt a lot.
After having followed a few tutorials, I suggest having a play about a bit, see what you can come up with.
Best of luck! :)

Huccaby
JN114
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2009:WBE
Trainz Build: 44653
Author KUID: 125145

Post by JN114 »

3DS Max and gmax are very similar - the only difference is gmax is free, 3DS Max costs hundreds of pounds

best try a few things in gmax first, not worht parting with your pennies until you know you can do it
matthewa
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TC3
Author KUID: 318250

Post by matthewa »

I've been mixing it up between Gmax and Blender. Out of the two, I actually prefer Blender after using it for the past few weeks.
Itareus
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 06/TC3/09/10/12/TANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 243828

Post by Itareus »

For Trainz use you would be best with Blender http://www.blender.org/download/get-blender/ (Free). GMAX is no longer developed or supported, whereas Blender is developing and supported. 3DS can cost big money, so unless you qualify for some sort of cheap or free version - e.g you are a student - or if you are intending to take up 3D modelling in a professional manner 3DS would possibly be the better choice as it's more of an "industry standard" program.
bird_d00
Past 100!
Trainz Version: UTC,TRS2004, TRS2006
Author KUID: 338848

Post by bird_d00 »

Unless you are doing this professionally the "Gmax isn't supported" argument is a total red herring. As an individual the level of support you would get even with a license for something like 3dsmax is nine tenths of bugger all, and I certainly wouldn't expect any usefull support from a freebie like blender.

Blender is great if you are a Unix hack and can remember hundreds of esoteric key combinations, most of the rest of us who like things on menus use Gmax and put up with it's foibles. Save often is the key, as Gmax does fall over with monotonous regularity. Also you have to remember to reset transforms when you're finished as otherwise things end up inside out. Other than that, for a freebie Gmax is an excellent program, and there are enough tutorials about to get you going. The hard bit is texturing - not building the model in the first place.

Dave Bird
fizzywizzy
Past 250!
Trainz Version: Trainz 2009

Post by fizzywizzy »

Cheers for the replies, i'll give Blender a try!
gds
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: TS12/TANE
Author KUID: 181684

Post by gds »

Having recently got back into content creation I think Blender is much quicker and easier to work with once you get your head around it. It is not very user friendly and takes a lot of patience, but once you know your basic way around the interface I am finding things come together a lot quicker and more easily than in Gmax.
oldfartdan
New Starter
Trainz Version: 10 & 12
Trainz Build: 49933

Post by oldfartdan »

Hi Snakelight64

Thank you for posting the links you did, I am a learner (Oldie) from oz.

There is a lot of information out there for us to build our own quids, but there is a time factor also to read everything. So far the only easy one was the one you suggested Jytte's Trainz.

So I am giving it a go, tried others to no avail. :D

dan
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Gmax may not be supported however using the max4 / 5 exporters with it is a vast improvement and using Pev's new exporter brings it pretty much up to present day requirements, I personally find Blender totally incomprehensible and I've used 3ds, Lightwave and Maya in the past, by choice I'd use 3ds unfortunately the version I have refuses to work on Win7. The one to avoid is Sketchup. There is also 3d Crafter which although payware, is quite cheap in comparison to 3ds.

I think it's a case of try what options there are and see which you get on with best.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Update:

Pev has withdrawn his exporter due to Discreets licensing policy for Gmax, apparently exporters were only to be used in authorised game packs. So that option is no longer available.

A bunch of us have been trying out 3dCrafter, thread on the N3V forums for anyone interested, not really my sort of program however some may find it easier from scratch.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/