Upminster Depot (G-Max)

Help with modelling 3D content for Trainz.
SnakeLight64
Past 250!
Trainz Version: TRS2019/2022
Trainz Build: 0
Author KUID: 563140

Upminster Depot (G-Max)

Post by SnakeLight64 »

Right so i'm going to attempt to make the Upminster Depot.

images found off Google from this site: http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 25&t=12751

I've taking measurements from Google Earth using the ruler (not the best of ways but couldn't think of another..) and now i just need the hight. How high would you say that is?
DavidBrown
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TS12
Trainz Build: 57898
Author KUID: 475970

Re: Upminster Depot (G-Max)

Post by DavidBrown »

The best way to work it out to any degree of accuracy would be to put a photo into GIMP (an image editing programme), and to change the perspective so that you're looking at it dead straight on. You can then copy than image, crop it as fine as you can, and work out with the amount of pixels what the proportions are.
greeni
Past 750!
Trainz Version: TRAINZ22PE
Trainz Build: 123799
Author KUID: 174088

Post by greeni »

You have rolling stock in the pictures, with the sizes you can normally find pretty easy. So try and work out from that, that's how i roughly get my sizes
SnakeLight64
Past 250!

Post by SnakeLight64 »

Yeah this is proving harder than i thought it would haha. I think i need to work on my gmax skills MUCH more before i try and do this haha. Any of you awesome people willing to make it for us all? *angel face* haha (Yes I'm pushing it, doesn't hurt to ask though.. :D)

Thanks for the tips guys!
Regards,
Reece
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

You know the rough width in metres of the depot from using the ruler in Google earth .

1) Open up the picture of the depot in full on your screen using windows viewer (if it's installed) or your paint program .

2) Take a 30 centimeter ruler or similar and then place it against the screen and then measure how wide the building is in centimetres .

3) if your good at maths then you should be able to work out the scale of what 1 cm represents on the ruler compared to the Google earth measurement .

4) if like me you find that a bit complicated , Re-size the picture or zoom in so that the width of building fits to a more easier to convert measurement on the ruler .

5) Once the scale is worked out rotate the ruler by 90 degrees and measure the height of the building at various places and convert to metres using the scale .

6) I find drawing a rough sketch of the sides of the building allows you to add all the dimensions for reference in Gmax / 3DS .

It's a rough and ready way to build but it does work :D
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
SnakeLight64
Past 250!

Post by SnakeLight64 »

Nexusdj wrote:You know the rough width in metres of the depot from using the ruler in Google earth .

1) Open up the picture of the depot in full on your screen using windows viewer (if it's installed) or your paint program .

2) Take a 30 centimeter ruler or similar and then place it against the screen and then measure how wide the building is in centimetres .

3) if your good at maths then you should be able to work out the scale of what 1 cm represents on the ruler compared to the Google earth measurement .

4) if like me you find that a bit complicated , Re-size the picture or zoom in so that the width of building fits to a more easier to convert measurement on the ruler .

5) Once the scale is worked out rotate the ruler by 90 degrees and measure the height of the building at various places and convert to metres using the scale .

6) I find drawing a rough sketch of the sides of the building allows you to add all the dimensions for reference in Gmax / 3DS .

It's a rough and ready way to build but it does work :D
I like your thinking, I'll give it a try! :D cheers mate.
SnakeLight64
Past 250!

Post by SnakeLight64 »

Been working on the Depot in Google SketchUp (I know how to use it so I thought it'll be easier haha)

Here's a couple of shots:

What you think so far?