Gmax courses or learning books

Help with modelling 3D content for Trainz.
Briggsy
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS2019 + TANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105096
Author KUID: 630773

Gmax courses or learning books

Post by Briggsy »

Hi guys,

Just wondered if anyone knows whether Gmax courses are available at via a college or private company that can be paid for?

Failing that, a really good book that guides you through the basics in plain english, through to the more trickier stuff?

Now that I've got my teeth into a bit of re-skinning, I'd like to have a go at creating my own content too.

If I just sit tinkering at home, I lose patience or get bored quickly, so my preferred method of learning would be via a course.

Cheers guys.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Re: Gmax courses or learning books

Post by Nexusdj »

World of trainz Gmax and 3ds tutorials : http://www.worldoftrainz.com/Pages/Tutorials.htm

Tafweb build a bank in Gmax tutorial : http://www.tafweb-trainz.co.uk/tutorial_bank_1.html

Paul Hobbs Gmax tutorials : http://www.44090digitalmodels.co.uk/tut ... gmax2.html

Going on the speed of you learning to reskin I'll put in a request for an APT , 310 , 312 and I could do with a model of Coventry station for my Centro route , No rush but next week will do ;)
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Briggsy
Forum Veteran

Post by Briggsy »

haha i've almost finished the 310 and 312. Half way through Coventry station - so I should have the lot done for Tuesday night :lol:

On a serious note though, thanks Dave. I'll have a look through those. I have a CAD-CAM background, so hopefully i'll pick it up fairly well. My only problem with things like this is that i'm terribly impatient. If its something I have to learn "at leisure", i'll just think "i'll start tomorrow" - and then tomorrow never comes - or if I can't get the hang of something quickly, I get bored/angry and leave it.

By going on a course, I know i'd be forced to attend on a specific day, so then i'd actually learn something.

I'll give it a go by reading those tutorials, but don't be overly surprised if I keep putting it off and your model of Coventry Station doesn't turn up before 2017 :lol:

A 310 is definately the first thing I want to get my teeth into though should I get into Gmax'ing.
Domsarto
Past 250!
Trainz Version: ts2012
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 342053

Post by Domsarto »

GMAx Bible by Kelly Murdoch
Briggsy
Forum Veteran

Post by Briggsy »

I forgot to say thanks for the help. Been having a good look through those links, and the Gmax bible also arrived at my front door today :D
Domsarto
Past 250!
Trainz Version: ts2012
Trainz Build: 61388
Author KUID: 342053

Post by Domsarto »

Well Briggsy,

Any update on how you are doing with GMax.

Dominic
Briggsy
Forum Veteran

Post by Briggsy »

Learning very very slowly. I followed a tutorials and got about 75% of the way through creating a house, and then Gmax had a tantrum, crashed, and I lost it.

Since then, I've not had the chance to get back into it again due to problems with my arm (I had an op last year, which didn't work out), so I've not been able to grip a mouse properly.

Hopefully I'll be able to crack on with it again soon.

I think its somethink I'll be able to pick up over time. I found the trickiest thing was remembering where all the tools and options were rather than actually doing anything. I think once I've got used to where tools are, and what they do, I'll pick the actual designing up fairly quickly. I've got a CAD-CAM background - and Gmax is not to dissimilar to that really.

Gmas seems quite unreliable though. Is that typical of Gmax, or is it likely that my computer might have had a tantrum when installing Gmax?
tmz06003
Past 750!

Post by tmz06003 »

Nexusdj wrote:World of trainz Gmax and 3ds tutorials :

Going on the speed of you learning to reskin I'll put in a request for an APT , 310 , 312 and I could do with a model of Coventry station for my Centro route , No rush but next week will do ;)
Good to get our own back for a change :lol:

@Briggsy- one of the best tips for GMax is to increment on save, Paul Hobb's tutotials show how to set this up. GMax can be very temperamental at times and crash when you least want it to, but having the incremental save means you at least have other versions of your mesh and don't lose the lot. You end up with tons of meshes but delete these at times to keep it manageable. I usually keep 10 or 20 saved meshes for each asset. Also, if you make a huge mistake you can also merge bits in from earlier meshes to correct it.
Regards,

tmz06003
oldfartdan
New Starter
Trainz Version: 10 & 12
Trainz Build: 49933

Post by oldfartdan »

:D I found Trainz Asset Creations compatible to G Max, a bit easier to me to learn.

...dan