Converting Sketchup models to Trainz

Help with modelling 3D content for Trainz.
Mark
Milepost 3
Trainz Version: TS2010
Trainz Build: 49933
Author KUID: 226741

Re: Converting Sketchup models to Trainz

Post by Mark »

I successfully got to File/Export then there is only one format option "plasma,*.PSD", which doesn't work. See image, which doesn't look much like the tutorial.
bird_d00
Past 100!
Trainz Version: UTC,TRS2004, TRS2006
Author KUID: 338848

Post by bird_d00 »

Looks like your Gmax is not setup correctly - at a guess you have not installed the Trainz exporter (Trainz asset creation studio). If so instructions for installing it can be found on my website under "Installing and Setting up Gmax" - you want the third section.

http://www.lutrainz.com/Gmax_Setup.html

As you appear to have a raw Gmax install, you may also want to checkout the "Setting up Gmax" section on the same webpage, with particular reference to the system unit scale (failing to set this correctly will cause no end of grief).

Dave Bird
Last edited by bird_d00 on Sat Jan 09, 2016 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mark
Milepost 3

Post by Mark »

bird_d00 wrote:Looks like your Gmax is not setup correctly - at a guess you have not installed the Trainz exporter (Trainz asset creation studio). If so instructions for installing it can be found on my website under "Installing and Setting up Gmax" - you want the third section.

http://www.lutrainz.uphero.com/Gmax_Setup.html

As you appear to have a raw Gmax install, you may also want to checkout the "Setting up Gmax" section on the same webpage, with particular reference to the system unit scale (failing to set this correctly will cause no end of grief).

Dave Bird
All installed as per your tutorial and set up ditto. End result no change I'm afraid.
Mark
Milepost 3

Post by Mark »

Mark wrote:
bird_d00 wrote:Looks like your Gmax is not setup correctly - at a guess you have not installed the Trainz exporter (Trainz asset creation studio). If so instructions for installing it can be found on my website under "Installing and Setting up Gmax" - you want the third section.

http://www.lutrainz.uphero.com/Gmax_Setup.html

Dave Bird
All installed as per your tutorial and set up ditto. End result no change I'm afraid.
We progress, now I have a new short-cut on my desktop [don't know why but it took 15 minutes to appear] and this opens a version of Gmax which allows me to export as per your tutorial. So then I go to import it and Trainz says that all the file types [im and txt] are unsupported. Next?

One other question; I want to either add to or delete from the models I'm importing. At which stage do I do this, a tuturial link would be good here.
bird_d00
Past 100!
Trainz Version: UTC,TRS2004, TRS2006
Author KUID: 338848

Post by bird_d00 »

If you followed the tutorial on setting up Gmax you shouldn't need to use the TACS shortcut - it changes the user interface in a way I'm not impressed with - but whatever, you managed to get it running.

As regards your importing to Trainz errors, can you post a directory listing of your asset, and it's Config.txt, so we can have a look what may be causing the problem.

Adding or deleting items to the model comes at the end after it's all optimised and working correctly in Trainz - get the basic model working first.

Dave Bird
Mark
Milepost 3

Post by Mark »

bird_d00 wrote:If you followed the tutorial on setting up Gmax you shouldn't need to use the TACS shortcut - it changes the user interface in a way I'm not impressed with - but whatever, you managed to get it running.

As regards your importing to Trainz errors, can you post a directory listing of your asset, and it's Config.txt, so we can have a look what may be causing the problem.

Adding or deleting items to the model comes at the end after it's all optimised and working correctly in Trainz - get the basic model working first.

Dave Bird
I'll follow up on this when I can but I've a busy weekend and and early next weeks so it may be some time. Thanks for the help so far.