New to 3DSmax: How do I change from wireframe to solid?

Help with modelling 3D content for Trainz.
Grandadsfolly
New Starter
Trainz Version: T:ANE

New to 3DSmax: How do I change from wireframe to solid?

Post by Grandadsfolly »

How do I change from wireframe to solid?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Re: New to 3DSmax: How do I change from wireframe to solid?

Post by Nexusdj »

I haven't got the 2016 version but I'd say try right clicking where it says "Wireframe" at the top left hand corner of each viewing window , Hopefully that should produce a drop down list to allow you to change to a solid form ?
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Grandadsfolly
New Starter

Post by Grandadsfolly »

Nexusdj wrote:I haven't got the 2016 version but I'd say try right clicking where it says "Wireframe" at the top left hand corner of each viewing window , Hopefully that should produce a drop down list to allow you to change to a solid form ?

Thank you I will give it a try much appreciated, I think I need 3DSmax for Dummies...
mckinnell
New Starter
Trainz Version: T:ane
Trainz Build: 3
Author KUID: 96917

Post by mckinnell »

That`s easy matey, just look at the window either of the 4 you have, and see the top left corner, see wireframe, right click and in menu select shaded, there you are, your now 100% solid, OBTW, don`t bother with realistic, looks nice, but, actually from a modelling point, IMHO, it is not any use to us; any other info, please feel free to ask me, i use 3ds max 2011 2012 2013, but for trainz, 2012 with SP1 is bu far the safest bet and the most stable for our collective modelling needs.
My very best regards to all.Tom.

PS...There is no plugin for .im .kin for exporting of models to trainz, so, suggest you get your self a good copy of 2012, it is the best way to go, especially with T:ane in mind.
Last edited by 73129 on Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Remove unnecessary language/smilies etc.. Suggest you re-read the forum rules.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

The exporter issue for Max 2013 upwards is being looked at as currently in TrainzDev we are testing an fbx importer for TANE, actually it's builtin and currently its bust! but it shows promise and is usable with Max and Blender or any other 3d modeller that has fbx export and a few more if you use Autodesks free fbx converter.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Grandadsfolly
New Starter

Post by Grandadsfolly »

Thanks guys, I really appreciate your help, and shall probably have a lot more questions.

I am in Billingshurst, West Sussex any other members close?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Grandadsfolly
New Starter

Post by Grandadsfolly »

At last, what do you think guys?
Nexusdj
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 123794
Author KUID: 45317

Post by Nexusdj »

The Helix looks great , Is it for a Model Trainz route ?
High visibility pixels must be worn when on or about the line !!
Grandadsfolly
New Starter

Post by Grandadsfolly »

Thanks nexusdj,

Yes it is going to be a dual track three-level layout with access to the helix from the bottom level (Train storage etc!), there will be access to the middle level from the outside track (right hand side), and entry back onto helix from the middle level onto the outside track (left hand side) taking train to the top level where you can take various routes around the top level with entry back onto the helix from the left on the inside track which only goes to the bottom level. There is scope for continuous running of multiple trains plus plenty of shunting opportunities, and a wide variety of scenes i.e. timber yard, coal mine, main through stations etc!.

it is based on the Grande Pacific Model Railroad (not an exact copy) which is being built by Arthur Houston a HO gauge model railroad, located in Houma, LA. 3 level layout. Visit web site for more details. https://www.facebook.com/groups/ahouston3/

Regards Pat