rumour3
Milepost 1
Trainz Version: TS2010/12

Class 70

Post by rumour3 »

Working on a Class 70, so thought it was appropriate to start a thread here:
Class 70-4 by rumour3, on Flickr

Class 70-5 by rumour3, on Flickr

As I've posted on the N3V forums, I'm lacking in technical information so most of what you see here has been eyeballed from various sources. I think the basic proportions aren't too far adrift but I could do with some measurements, or a source of drawings, if anyone knows one. I would also appreciate tips for enginespec, and engine and horn sounds.

I've emailed Freightliner for permission to use their livery- really don't want to do the yucky Colas one. I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly I've managed to get to this point- less than a week so far- and would like to keep the momentum to get it into the game, and hopefully on the DLS asap.

R3
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Re: Class 70

Post by PFX »

Looks exceedingly good so far.

I have the 70 for Train Sim. I'm not sure if there's anyway screenshots from that would be of any assistance to you but if there are, let me know and I'll get what you need.
Warbo40
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TS2012 (SP1)/S&C
Trainz Build: 57898
Author KUID: 441222

Post by Warbo40 »

:o Wow that looks absolutely awesome rumour you've defintely exceeded yourself this time.

If you need any textures then feel free to look at and use any from my pictures on flickr

https://www.flickr.com/photos/lereddog/ ... 529299624/
Work to live not live to work.
greeni
Past 750!
Trainz Version: TRAINZ22PE
Trainz Build: 123799
Author KUID: 174088

Post by greeni »

sent you pm with some info
rumour3
Milepost 1

Post by rumour3 »

@greeni: seen and responded by pm.

@pfx: thanks for the offer. A bit of an odd request but do you have a view of the cab/rear and roof? I'm struggling to work out the cab structure, and in particular what happens to the top and rear of the big strut that's behind the cabside window. Strangely enough, people don't tend to take many pictures of cab roofs (or if they do, they don't post them on the internet...)

@Warbo40: Again, thanks for the offer. You've got some useful pictures on your Flickr photostream that show some of the details I wasn't clear about, and they should be good for some of the textures (if I get permission to do the Freightliner livery...)

Regards

R3
greeni
Past 750!
Trainz Version: TRAINZ22PE
Trainz Build: 123799
Author KUID: 174088

Post by greeni »

just sent you more stuff...
danny109
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 2009, 2019
Trainz Build: 46653
Author KUID: 554607

Post by danny109 »

Looking great! Glad to finally see one of these :)
Back in the Trainz saddle
lilbigmouth
New Starter
Trainz Version: 12
Trainz Build: 58414
Author KUID: 657304

Post by lilbigmouth »

Hi,

I was actually working (very slowly) on a class 70 model myself to fill the "gap in the market", but you've beaten me to it!

That mesh is looking great. Much better than mine...(attached)

Good job, and I look forward to it being released :D

-lilbigmouth
Thanks

lilbigmouth

See my trainspotting photostream at https://www.flickr.com/photos/123759172@N07/
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

R3, sent you a couple of PMs. If you need anything else, let me know.

Cheers.
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

Wow! That looks stunning; even more impressive considering the little time you have taken so far. I will eagerly look forward to see the construction progress. :drool:
Biddle
New Starter
Trainz Version: 3.7
Author KUID: 142454

Post by Biddle »

Very nice, in less than a week too! I dusted off gmax a few weeks back and my loco hasnt got nearly that far.

Been enjoying your 31 most of all since I got back into trainz :)
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

rumour3 wrote:
I've emailed Freightliner for permission to use their livery- really don't want to do the yucky Colas one. I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly I've managed to get to this point- less than a week so far- and would like to keep the momentum to get it into the game, and hopefully on the DLS asap.

R3
First of all, how did you get that done in a week! And secondly how come you need to email Frieghtliner regarding the use of their livery? Is the model going to be payware. If it's freeware I understand that if you're not profiting in any way from the model then I think you don't need to request permission. I'm probably probing into dangerous grounds by asking the second question.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!
fudginator
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE SP4
Trainz Build: 105766

Post by fudginator »

I must say, you certainly don't do things by halves.
rumour3
Milepost 1

Post by rumour3 »

Thanks for the great feedback everyone!
klambert wrote:
First of all, how did you get that done in a week! And secondly how come you need to email Frieghtliner regarding the use of their livery? Is the model going to be payware. If it's freeware I understand that if you're not profiting in any way from the model then I think you don't need to request permission. I'm probably probing into dangerous grounds by asking the second question.
Re the time to make the model so far: I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly I've worked on this. I rechecked the file create date and it was 22 June that I started work on this project. The key reasons why I've been able to knock it up so quickly are:
- having a week off work, and a very tolerant wife. Eating, sleeping and drinking Class 70s in any free moment needs an understanding partner;
- a lot of experience with Blender;
- what you see here makes a lot of use of the mirror modifier- you only need to work on half of one cab, for example, and the modifier takes care of the other half. Because I positioned the object correctly relative to the origin it also mirrors it in the Y direction so you get the second cab as well. Same with the bogies. The trick is to break the model down into bits that can be reflected in either the X or Y axes, or both;
- nothing is UV mapped yet. In my experience, this will be the bit that takes the time. I used to try and map as I went along, but this invariably meant that I would run out of texture space and need to double up on mapping, which doesn't work with baked textures, or give less space than I would like to important bits that need larger areas of mapping. It's far more efficient to complete the modelling and then unwrap- Blender has some excellent tools to make this as painless as possible;
- the wheelsets, screw coupler and driver mesh are pulled in from older models, and haven't been modelled from scratch.

There are a few other time saving tricks that I use, but I think the answer to quick modelling is basically to use Blender. Oh, and insomnia helps- I'm writing this at 5 in the morning....

With regard to the logo, I am planning a free DLS release, but am conscious of a few recent discussions re copyright and the DLS terms. I did go through a similar process with EWS when I released my 66 a few years ago and they were ok with it- they even sent me some hi-res logos. I know that not all companies are as enlightened, but I need to protect my position and if permission isn't given then I will probably do a generic unbranded version and let others make their own arrangements for re skins. I'm aware that there's probably a lot of 'don't ask, don't tell' that goes on across the community with re skins, but I don't want there to be any question over the original model release. If there's a cost involved, I may consider payware, but I don't particularly want the hassle- I genuinely do this for the fun of it and hopefully for the benefit of others.

Cheers

R3
klambert
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2012 TANE
Trainz Build: 61297
Author KUID: 393563

Post by klambert »

rumour3 wrote:Thanks for the great feedback everyone!
klambert wrote:
Re the time to make the model so far: I'm pleasantly surprised at how quickly I've worked on this. I rechecked the file create date and it was 22 June that I started work on this project. The key reasons why I've been able to knock it up so quickly are:
- having a week off work, and a very tolerant wife. Eating, sleeping and drinking Class 70s in any free moment needs an understanding partner;
- a lot of experience with Blender;
- what you see here makes a lot of use of the mirror modifier- you only need to work on half of one cab, for example, and the modifier takes care of the other half. Because I positioned the object correctly relative to the origin it also mirrors it in the Y direction so you get the second cab as well. Same with the bogies. The trick is to break the model down into bits that can be reflected in either the X or Y axes, or both;
- nothing is UV mapped yet. In my experience, this will be the bit that takes the time. I used to try and map as I went along, but this invariably meant that I would run out of texture space and need to double up on mapping, which doesn't work with baked textures, or give less space than I would like to important bits that need larger areas of mapping. It's far more efficient to complete the modelling and then unwrap- Blender has some excellent tools to make this as painless as possible;
- the wheelsets, screw coupler and driver mesh are pulled in from older models, and haven't been modelled from scratch.

Cheers

R3
It took me about 4 months to make my Class 501, then again this was on Gmax, but I see what you mean the actual main body doesn't take long, in my case it took a month, but it's all the tweaking and fine tuning that seems to take forever. I imagine on a model such as yours the tweaking is going to be far more complex than on my Class 501!

Also how did you get experience with blender, do you work with it as part of a job or are you self taught? I'm sorry about all the questions, I'm trying to find ways to speed up my own content creation process.
http://berkshiretrainz.webs.com/

Great Bolshy Yarblockos!