squit13
Past 500!
Trainz Version: TRS12 SP1
Trainz Build: 58414
Author KUID: 465987

Class 365 networker

Post by squit13 »

Hi all,
As some of you may know, I am currently working on a networker as requested by Dan(class172). We are working on it together, I am building the meshes, and Dan is producinging the textures. I am under the impression that there will be several versions of it released in different livery's, and the base texture for reskining, curtosy of Dan. I am quite excited, because it is my very first project which i plan to release on the DLS. I have for the sole purpose of testing it, used some pictures for the textures, but will be retexturing it when Dan has finished the base textures. The first version of the mesh will be a Class 365 with a Pantograph, and it is possible we will add pickup shoes to the bogies and do a reskin for it to become a class 465.
I am just about to run the first test of the TOSL, the first unit I have built, and hope to be able to post some screenies after the test.
Many thanks Huccaby(squit13)
I'm gonna' be a 'senior driver'-According to the Trainz 12 Achievements, thats 10,000 hours-over 1 year constantly using trainz, without faults...

TRS12 Ann Ed.
squit13
Past 500!

Re: Class 365 networker

Post by squit13 »

I have decided to produce my own bogeys so compleation could be a while off.
I'm gonna' be a 'senior driver'-According to the Trainz 12 Achievements, thats 10,000 hours-over 1 year constantly using trainz, without faults...

TRS12 Ann Ed.
squit13
Past 500!

Post by squit13 »

Tonight I have finished the bogies for the 365, I just need to make some small ajustments to the coach mesh, then thats the TOSL just in need of correct texture mapping, and the interior being created, then that will be my first gmax 'loco' project finished, with any luck! :)

TRS12 Ann Ed.
squit13
Past 500!

Post by squit13 »

Update- rather down date. :( When i put it all together and into trainz, the bogeys were too big, and the body was too small, it was the correct length, but when i put it next to Nexusdj's 165, well it looked like a midget, so back to the drwaing board. :/.
Other than these slight complications, the bogey and chassis was quite goo i feel, ill fire up trainz and get some screenshots now...bit imbarrising(like my poor spelling) though :oops: . oh well.
I havnt had as much response as i expected on this thread... maybe it doesnt work?
The difficulty with making the body is that i only have basic height and width measurements(curtosy of Class172), and havent managed to find any more detailed drawing- help in this department would be appreciated...
Many Thanks...

TRS12 Ann Ed.
squit13
Past 500!

Post by squit13 »

here are 3 shots showing the 'fail' attempt... time to start again... i have saturday free atm...

TRS12 Ann Ed.
JN114
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2009:WBE
Trainz Build: 44653
Author KUID: 125145

Post by JN114 »

I thought I pointed you toward a book with the drawings in a while back? - There aren't any other 365 drawings around, not that I've been able to find anyway. http://www.pdhdrawings.co.uk/ is the link if you need it again.

Are you actually following any dimensions once you start moving verticies around in gmax? A basic Length/Width/Height won't do, it only tells you the size of the box you'd need to put a 365 coach in - Scale drawings will allow you to measure the width at various points and build up a proper profile of the unit, not arbitary vertex bashing to match 1 photo taken on 1 sort of camera from 1 angle.

I don't mean to dishearten you really, but I (as many on here will testify!) used to rush through everything just to show a screenshot. It's not worth it.

You're young, I understand everything has to be done yesterday but seriously take your time. You yourself said how inadequate your 365 looked next to nexusdj's 165 coach, and lets be honest that's just a very simple mesh. If you really want an all-singing bells and whistles 365 with interior and such then you're gonna have to become a heck of a lot more patient. Get some proper drawings, and proper dimensions. Take your time getting the basic shape right. Don't worry about bogies and interiors and enginesounds and who's reskinning it into what livery. First off just concentrate on getting something that is the correct shape, the correct size and most importantly that actually looks like a 365 done. We can worry that such and such is doing this livery way off in the future when you need to do textures. For now, an 8 x 8 square of grey all over will suffice :P

More imporantly, if you are 13, you should be in bed at 11.30pm on a schoolnight young man :P - a gmax model of a 365 counts for very little in the grand scheme of things :P
squit13
Past 500!

Post by squit13 »

Many thanks for all the advice JN114, I am in fact 15, and my opinion of school is low, (i know it shouldnt be though), and hence i do every peice of homework in school. I was only up at that time last night, because i had only just got back from DOFE, and wanted to check the forums, and got a little carried away :P. Recently, I have become a lot more aware about the time needed for Gmax work, and I honestly didnt rush it for a screenshot, I just got on with working on it in my own time, it took about 3 weeks, the last week being the bogey.
Now you mention it i do remember being pointed in the correct direction for dimensions, but I forget what i did about it, i probably forgot in my haste around getting going with the work! :oops: . I will now have a look at the drawings to see if i can get some good measurements!

Again, many thanks JN1144 :)

TRS12 Ann Ed.
Past 500!
Trainz Version: 12, TANE
Trainz Build: 74702
Author KUID: 431172

Post by 73129 »

squit13 wrote:here are 3 shots showing the 'fail' attempt... time to start again... i have saturday free atm...
May I say, its not badfor a first attempt, I tried making wheels in gmax and I miraculously failed at all attempts, Keep it up
tommietomato2 on Auran forums
Retired moderator.
squit13
Past 500!

Post by squit13 »

73129 wrote:
squit13 wrote:here are 3 shots showing the 'fail' attempt... time to start again... i have saturday free atm...
May I say, its not badfor a first attempt, I tried making wheels in gmax and I miraculously failed at all attempts, Keep it up
For the wheels i based it around a tutorial, but used my own sizes, because it was an american tutorial, but i hould have used the same axel length though.

In terms of the drawings, i am buying the class 170 and class 365 ones from the above mentioned website, and should get them next week. As i am free tomorrow, i may well have a good in deptjh look at micro dem, Or may give computer stuff a rest and do some work on my model railway, as i am just beggining the scenics, an epic task, but i am doing railway modeling for my DofE skill.

Many thanks,
Huccaby

TRS12 Ann Ed.
squit13
Past 500!

Post by squit13 »

Well I contacted the website with my first order and a few queries at about 0815 on friday morning, and didnt recieve a reply until 2000 and i was dissapointed in the time it took, so decided to alter my order to just the 365 but in paper form, which is posted, and virtual form, and asked for an updated quote, my reply was sent within 15 minutes of recieving the email, and i havnt had a reply yet. I understand that it is a saturday, but as a person who has been involved with various businesses, yes i am only 15, then i would expect a business to jump at the chance of any profit chance, especially in this economic climate, and at a guess from having recieved the email at 2000, it is a business ran alongside regular employment, ran from home. It is a simple case of sending an email, i would think...
I have been disapointed up until now, but i must be patient, I have outgrown most of the teenager habbits, but my lack of patience is still very much present.

Thanks for listening.

TRS12 Ann Ed.
JN114
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2009:WBE
Trainz Build: 44653
Author KUID: 125145

Post by JN114 »

It's not a business, AFAIK it's something one dude does in his spare time alongside his existing day job for a little cash on the side - took me 2 weeks to get my last order from him processed.
squit13
Past 500!

Post by squit13 »

I have decided, since it has now been started on this forum, that I will not be building a 365, and shall leave it to WEN, his model looks better than mine allready!

TRS12 Ann Ed.
WessexElectricNutter
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 74539
Author KUID: 30051

Post by WessexElectricNutter »

squit13 wrote:I have decided, since it has now been started on this forum, that I will not be building a 365, and shall leave it to WEN, his model looks better than mine allready!
No, you WILL finish it! You WILL rebuild it and you WILL get on with it, regardless the state of mine as you might well need the skills.
squit13
Past 500!

Post by squit13 »

WessexElectricNutter wrote:
squit13 wrote:I have decided, since it has now been started on this forum, that I will not be building a 365, and shall leave it to WEN, his model looks better than mine allready!
No, you WILL finish it! You WILL rebuild it and you WILL get on with it, regardless the state of mine as you might well need the skills.
The thing is, I have canclled my order for the dimensions, so if you could send me the dimentions, i would be happy to continue trying, but the money i had reserved for the drawings, i have invested in transdem, so is no longer available, sadly. However, I am still doing various projects in Gmax, including many different buildings and platforms for my grange route and I plan to build the station building and concourse etc for birmingham new street.

Many thanks
Huccaby, squit13

TRS12 Ann Ed.
WessexElectricNutter
Past 100!
Trainz Version: TANE
Trainz Build: 74539
Author KUID: 30051

Post by WessexElectricNutter »

squit13 wrote:
WessexElectricNutter wrote:
The thing is, I have canclled my order for the dimensions, so if you could send me the dimentions, i would be happy to continue trying, but the money i had reserved for the drawings, i have invested in transdem, so is no longer available, sadly. However, I am still doing various projects in Gmax, including many different buildings and platforms for my grange route and I plan to build the station building and concourse etc for birmingham new street.

Many thanks
Huccaby, squit13

You might laugh at this, but most of the stock I create, uses approximate measurements and therefore not exact. Compared to railway modellers we do have one slight advantage using a form of CAD program, in that it is easier to rearrange stuff and modify stuff to suit. All it takes is to get some basic dimensions and work out the rest from that. Infact, I noticed an error in the drawings provided by PDH. The drawing specifies that the 465TS0 is 2ft shorter than specifed by everywhere else!