Pity there are not extended backgrounds

Discuss Scenery Creations.
rjhowie
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2010

Pity there are not extended backgrounds

Post by rjhowie »

Working on a very large project the wee passing niggle is that a lot of time is taken up by the surrounds of a line. What is an added thing is each board I have to get a hill view then adjust the next at a right or left angle of the board on each side. Just a pity there isn't one with a hill background that can just be bent at each board corner.
Itareus
Past 250!
Trainz Version: 06/TC3/09/10/12/TANE
Trainz Build: 4
Author KUID: 243828

Re: Pity there are not extended backgrounds

Post by Itareus »

Do you mean a backdrop asset made as a spline so that it can be curved ?
rjhowie
Past 100!

Post by rjhowie »

Yes, I should have clarified it as a spline. Being such an extended route of an actual system it means scores of a hilly background snd a constant additional slow down of building!
Itareus
Past 250!

Post by Itareus »

There are a few like that Innis but they may not be suitable for your purpose.

The hardest part of making a backdrop like you require would be getting decent photographs to use.

So if you can come up with some images I'm sure that, between us, we could make something that will suit.

Chris
rjhowie
Past 100!

Post by rjhowie »

Hi Itareus,

Firstly my apologies as I had got so involved in the route I am building I completely overlooked the query I had raised. Being a Glaswegian I will punish myself by going to Edinburgh for a day (by train of course).

Anyway I use one piece of extendible scenery from time to time and it invovles a row of houses with bushes in front and constant splines. Quite handy when there is a village or so in the distance and that was what made me wish there was a simple countryside that could just be constantly extended just with hills. Not sure where i might get a suitable picture even re a simple background. Haven't a clue on this area but any advice would be a help then hopefully someone could do a simple country thing just with hiils for regular extening.
Itareus
Past 250!

Post by Itareus »

No problem about the delay, it's easy to forget as I well know these days. Don't you think going to Edinburgh is a bit extreme, sackcloth and ashes for the rest of the year would do :) ?

I'm sure I've come across one or maybe two hill splines but I have (now) no idea what the names were.

It should be possible to get some suitable images off the net (subject to copyright of course) to use as the basis of a spline, pretty certain that it would require some manipulation in a graphic package.

Another way of sourcing images is of course to get out there with a camera and take your own ! As the chimp said ' you take it I'll make it' son.

Or, unusually, watch an episode of BBC1's 'Countryfile' program on the BBC Player and screen capture some of their panning shots.

Possibly the easiest to manipulate to your own requirements is to create your own hillsides in Trainz and screenshot them - this applies to urban backdrops as well.

Chris M
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

mcguirel has some backdrop splines on the DLS no idea what they are like though.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
rjhowie
Past 100!

Post by rjhowie »

I have to admit that doing techy stuff is (hhrm) a bit out of my league BUT taking say a picture is the start and maybe I could get hold of someone who could then perhaps be gracious enough to well, create the splined hills out of the pcs?

Many years ago there was a very well know Scots writer, author and tv appearer called Jack House and he was a very much a Glasgow man and in a satirical interview on tv once said there was a very nice street in Edinburgh and the interviewer who did not see the glint in Jack's eye was taken up and asked with delight as to where that was. Jack simply said with a hard to control smile, "road to Glasgow." (!0/ Anyway I hope to get on that re-opened Borders Line and it will only be a case of one platform to another! Will also see if there is any alternative too of course then se what happens because all these dashed hil backgrounds are a night mare due to such a big rail project for Ireland.

Bobby
rjhowie
Past 100!

Post by rjhowie »

Hello Clam1962,

I had a look regard the mcguire suggestion and there was what looked good called a Background Eastern Hill so downloaded it. However when tried to use it all I got was a a couple of the swirling curls and no scene. Then noticed I had overlooked that the zzz's were showing with picture thus indicating "obsolete." Thought I was going to solve my delaying problem so maybe I am back to square one and fiddling with constantly moving a single background into place as I have been doing for scores of miles!