Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

My scenery questions...

Post by Class172 »

Hi all,

I've spent the morning trawling the DLS for a suitable asset to use, however my searches have proved fruitless. Can anyone recommend a bridge that looks like the one below?

Peter White
Milepost 7
Trainz Version: TRS22+

Re: Arched Bridge Suggestion

Post by Peter White »

Have a look at Liskeard Road Bridge by Marky7890. You may need to add some abutments at either side though.

Peter
Class172
SOTM Moderator

Re: Arched Bridge Suggestion

Post by Class172 »

Thanks Peter, I happened across that one shortly after making my post earlier. I've managed to make it fit rather well. :)
Class172
SOTM Moderator

Re: My scenery questions...

Post by Class172 »

Given I'm now starting to extend the realms of the scenery, I am finding I need some more things that hopefully one of you can point me in the direction of (hence the change of the thread's title!).

Is there a spline (or many splines) that can allow me to quickly create a long row of trees and hedges to sit alongside the railway to a decent quality. The few assets I have that currently fit the bill are of a very low quality, being old assets. The laborious nature of the 'virtual planting' of individual trees currently does't exactly encourage me to build! :roll:

This shows the sort of thick foliage that I am looking to achieve, without having to place individual trees for the whole route.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Very much a case of "mix and match" for that sort of scenery. Trial and error too. The JVC stuff is excellent for playing about with in places like that. A few of the things I've used in the attached pictures are:

(built-in) undergrowth 6; undergrowth 6 09; Undergrowth spline. There is also a load of other stuff under the title of undergrowth that is available on the DLS that is useful too.

JVC (S2) Trees#2 Birch Spline; JVC@Hedgerow#6 (and #7 and #8) Shrub

A good range to look at for splines is by dmdrake. Search for Coastal_Forest_Cover and you'll get plenty of options. They don't always look great on the face of it but when blended in with other stuff they do a good job.

A further search for "Trees, Shrubs" will give you a list you could look at all day, but don't overlook some of Malc's excellent hedges (clam1952.) They help to blend stuff in enormously. As I said at the start though, trial and error to see what suits you is probably the best way forward IMHO.

Hope some of that helps :D

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Post by PFX »

With regards to tree splines, I've not come across one which is very convincing at close range. There are plenty of good grass and shrub splines though if you search for JVC. Many are already built in but they aren't all good. It'll just be a case of looking through them and deciding which ones you like.
Class172
SOTM Moderator

Post by Class172 »

Thanks for the advice. I've spent the morning tinkering around with various flora. The view I linked above has worked its way into the screenshot thread. ;)
Class172
SOTM Moderator

Post by Class172 »

In the process of dragging my route over to TANE, thankfully only four dependencies became faulty in the upgrade, being the trees by mcguirel. I haven't really got any knowledge of how to remove errors in TANE - are the errors shown in the picture a potential easy fix, or should I ditch those assets and find replacements?

Once again, many thanks for any advice.

clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

TS12 Speed Trees will never ever work in TANE, TANE has v6 64bit Speedtree engine, TS12 v5 32 bit engine. And IDV software the people who provide the SpeedTree Engine do not do backwards compatibility.

Need to replace them in TS12 temporarily with say billboard Trees and then replace them with TANE SpeedTrees in TANE, of which there are a very large number on the DLS.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
Class172
SOTM Moderator

Post by Class172 »

Thanks Clam, I didn't realise that the speedtrees of the different versions were incompatible.

Your excellent set of trees are already getting plenty of use on the route. ;)