Discuss Scenery Creations.
PFX
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 119450

Bridge stairs

Post by PFX »

Afternoon all.

I've encountered a bit of an issue relating to stations a number of metres below surface level. I'm finding it very hard to get stairs which will sit at platform level and reach the correct level for a station sitting above the track on a bridge. How do you solve this problem? Do you set the stairs then the station height according to that (which is not ideal) or have I missed a set of stairs that come in spline form and would suffice?

There is an asset called 'stairs flex' which are perfect for more industrial settings but not perhaps for stations. Ideally I'm looking for covered stairs too. While I've had a look at the bridge station by stationmistress, it's not suitable. The other minor problem is that the station building can't really have doors opening over the edge of the bridge. I'm sure I've seen a screenshot by someone that replicates more or less what I'm after but I've been unable to find it.

I'm trying to make this -

Look more like this -

Thanks,
Innis
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: Bridge stairs

Post by clam1952 »

The SR/BR Footbridge kit from jayholland looks apart from the colour a far better match, it's in parts and a spline for the main bridge part so you can assemble it how you want from the various bits, as for height, the splines which you wouldn't need you can set the height and the other bits just raise to wherever you want them, pretty sure someone did some reskins of them however can't seem to find them.

Jay appears to have vanished however if you can find him he'd probably be OK with a reskin.

Download these and have a play.
<kuid:381430:1160> SR/BR Footbridge End Panel
<kuid:381430:1155> SR/BR Footbridge Left Steps Lattice supports
<kuid:381430:1163> SR/BR Footbridge Lattice Tower Tall
<kuid:381430:1139> SR/BR Footbridge Lattice Supports
<kuid:381430:1156> SR/BR Footbridge Right Steps Lattice supports
<kuid:381430:1164> SR/BR Footbridge Lattice Tower Short
<kuid:381430:1158> SR/BR Footbridge Left Steps Panelled supports
<kuid:381430:1157> SR/BR Footbridge Right Steps Panelled supports
<kuid:381430:1138> SR/BR Footbridge Section
<kuid:381430:1141> SR/BR Footbridge Spline no ends
<kuid:381430:1148> SR/BR Footbridge Steps Half Flight
<kuid:381430:1153> SR/BR Footbridge Steps Panelled supports
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Many thanks. I've tried some of Jay's other stuff before but found the textures didn't really tie in with anything else. I'll try and get in touch.

Innis
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Post by cyberdonblue »

Plus the fact that most of that stuff is majorly green Malc. Shame really cos it can be useful at times.

Cheers

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

I have good news. Managed to get in touch with Jay and he's given me permission to reskin the bridge. At present I'm doing a nondescript off white and grey. Is there something you need in particular Dave?

I've only had a quick mess this evening and ended up with the following.

cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

I'd be delighted with what you've done there already, Innis. As you know, I like the 70s, 80s and 90s periods and we were very good at non-descript everything in back those days ha ha ha! The neutral colour allows those assets to slot in anywhere now and it really puts them back high up on the 'useful' scale for me because, with a bit of artistic licence, you can create no end of variations with them. It's surprising how little choice we've got with footbridges really. You only notice when you hit a situation like you yourself have Innis.

Great work, my friend. I look forward to being able to use them. ;)

Cheers

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Post by clam1952 »

Now that looks 100% more like it!

Yes foot bridges, I have a weird one at Barnstaple junction I'm probably either going to have to kit bash or make it from scratch.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

No problem Dave. I'm happy to do a bespoke colour should you need it, though I know how something muted will fit pretty much anywhere. I think blue, grey and white may have been fairly common too but I don't see a lot of UK bridges these days and I can't remember. Perhaps that was just Scottish region.

Fortunately, the footbridge kit by Jay is suitably flexible in nature that it should be possible to come up with quite a lot of configurations and I'm indebted for his permission to reskin these.

Got one lot done. Just need to sort out thumbnails.

Innis
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

PFX wrote:...I think blue, grey and white may have been fairly common too but I don't see a lot of UK bridges these days and I can't remember. Perhaps that was just Scottish region.

Fortunately, the footbridge kit by Jay is suitably flexible in nature that it should be possible to come up with quite a lot of configurations and I'm indebted for his permission to reskin these...

Innis
They look superb, Innis. Many thanks for those. I think the blue, grey and white colours were more of a late 90s early 00 sort of thing, especially around my area. I grew up on the Great Western side of Birmingham and their stations and colours seemed to escape "modernisation" for almost as long as I can remember. The blue and grey and red and all those other strange changes of colour schemes for no apparent good reason only seemed to affect the former Midland side of the city.

Sadly, on our side of the city, the Western's four road stations were cut down to two roads (with only one exception for a mile or two around Tyseley) because of the constant cuts and then the redundant buildings and footbridges were removed (strangely, some of the redundant platforms are still in situ despite the track having been ripped up nearly 50 years ago now.) Maybe a Great Western chocolate and cream version of the footbridges would go down a bundle, Innis. I'm pretty sure many of our steam buffs would appreciate them.

When you look at how much of a bottleneck the modern Birmingham New Street is nowadays you can see just how little imagination the Midland and the LNWR had with regards to planning for growth and expansion in this area. The Great Western's demise in favour of the Midland in this area, for whatever reason, is now coming back to haunt our civic leaders in their attempts to save money yet push more people through the bottleneck. They spent millions turning New Street station into an expensive food hall but the platforms are still the same layout (and dark dingy holes) that they were before so no traffic increases have been possible there. Had they kept the beautiful and functional old Snow Hill station (instead of rebuilding a concrete abortion with 2 lines given over to that useless tram thing) they would have had far more options than they find themselves with now and the beautiful footbridges and station buildings would still be there for all to see - and model.

Cheers

Dave
PFX
Forum Veteran

Post by PFX »

Dave,

If you can point me in the direction of a suitably coloured photo, I can do a brown and cream version.

Cheers,
Innis
Class172
SOTM Moderator
Trainz Version: T:ANE
Trainz Build: 94916
Author KUID: 485742

Post by Class172 »

I imagine something like the footbridge at Tyseley would be an example.

http://yourmodelrailway.net/view_topic.php?id=5607
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran

Post by cyberdonblue »

That's the one - and ironically that station is one of only two left with its four platforms in that area that I referred to previously; even if only two of its platforms are actually still used for passenger service.

Cheers

Dave