Virus/Malware checking software

For general hardware discussions. Including upgrade advice.
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Virus/Malware checking software

Post by clam1952 »

SPLIT FROM HERE
cyberdonblue wrote:
AntonSL93 wrote:A GERMAN USER FROM AURAN FORUMS GAVE ME A SOUND TRIGGER!!!
FINALLY!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: 8-) 8-) 8-)
Here's the link: http://www.file-upload.net/download-963 ... r.zip.html
Beware: According to McAfee Site Advisor, the download is full of spyware and virus's.
McAfee again............. IMO is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, lost count of how many times they report a zipped file as containing malware when it doesn't. Seems pretty clear to me they don't actually check the contents.

Perfectly safe by the way checked it in Linux just in case, nothing other than the normal trainz asset files.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Re: GOOD NEWS!!!

Post by cyberdonblue »

McAfee again............. IMO is about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, lost count of how many times they report a zipped file as containing malware when it doesn't. Seems pretty clear to me they don't actually check the contents.

Perfectly safe by the way checked it in Linux just in case, nothing other than the normal trainz asset files.
I've often had my doubts about McAfee Site Advisor but I've also had my fingers burnt by ignoring it so thanks for checking it out and declaring it safe. I've downloaded the content without problem. What software do you use (Clam1952) to check these things out because, if possible, I'd like to get hold of something reliable that's not going to keeep crying wolf falsely?

Dave
clam1952
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: TRS22
Trainz Build: 116243
Author KUID: 425700

Re: GOOD NEWS!!!

Post by clam1952 »

cyberdonblue wrote:

I've often had my doubts about McAfee Site Advisor but I've also had my fingers burnt by ignoring it so thanks for checking it out and declaring it safe. I've downloaded the content without problem. What software do you use (Clam1952) to check these things out because, if possible, I'd like to get hold of something reliable that's not going to keeep crying wolf falsely?

Dave
Could be an idea to split this from this thread?

Basically on my PC's, Avast includes a site advisor and will scan inside archives without opening them and Malwarebytes.
I used to remove crap from other peoples infected PC's so have copies of Adaware, Adw Cleaner, a stand alone free copy of Trends Housecall. Stand alone Sofus Virus removal tool, plus a load of other stuff, rootkit removers TDS Scanners and such, similar to what Bleeping Computer use, Bleepingcomputer.com being the number 1 site for getting advice and help removing the unremovable!

There is a Linux version of Avast so I can download to Linux and scan it there with not much chance of a Windows virus or malware doing anything.
Cheers

Malc

Member of Trainz Carriage and Wagon Works
http://www.trainz-carriage-wagon-works.com/
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

Re: Virus/Malware checking software

Post by cyberdonblue »

Thanks Clam1952, I'll have a browse at some of those. I've got stuff like CCleaner and Adaware and one or two others but I'd like to find something to do what McAfee Site Adviser does but without the false alarms all the time.
jack24
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2.6
Trainz Build: 3337

Re: Virus/Malware checking software

Post by jack24 »

CCleaner is a very good product for getting rid of unwanted files that slow your computer down and, best of all, it's free. I've had it for a pretty long time and it works very well. By the way 100 posts :D :D
Jack24
The canary