And so the Great British Railway Rake-Off rolls on

General UK Railway Discussion and questions.
cyberdonblue
Forum Veteran
Trainz Version: 2006 2012 T:ANE SP3
Trainz Build: 105766
Author KUID: 214658

And so the Great British Railway Rake-Off rolls on

Post by cyberdonblue »

I just stumbled across an old article from the Guardian dated September last year that I found particularly engaging and informative. I personally am not a Guardian reader but I think this article is particularly apt at a time like this when all politicians are out spreading their lies and promising the Earth in exchange for your vote. We all know in our hearts that not one iota of what we want will change (unless it suits these con artists that call themselves politicians) and that "normal service" will resume the day after polling day, irrespective of who "wins."

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfre ... f-rolls-on

Quote: "Imagine having a landlord who did up your flat, chucked in a wetroom and some top-of-the-range white goods – then reduced your rent, so that he was really paying you to live there. You have just dreamed up Britain’s privatised rail network. Except it’s not all that private. Instead, you could call it the Great British Rake-Off: the state makes the investment; the train firms and their shareholders rake off the cash. And if the sums don’t work out, an operator can do the business equivalent of binning a runny baked Alaska by walking away – just as GNER did with the east coast main line."

Dave