Great British Railway Journeys (N.Ireland/Ireland)

General UK Railway Discussion and questions.
Jay325i
Milepost 5
Trainz Version: 2012
Trainz Build: 61297

Great British Railway Journeys (N.Ireland/Ireland)

Post by Jay325i »

Hey folks,

For anyone interested in N.Irish/Irish Routes, Great British Railway Journeys presented by Micheal Portillo is showing on Yesterday starting on Wednesday 24th at 7.35am and running through to Friday morning covering Bray to Dublin, Enfield to Drogheda, Dundalk to Portadown, Belfast to Whitehead and Ballymoney to Derry/Londonderry. I have it set to record as I usually have railway shows playing while I mess in Trainz.

Jay
rjhowie
Past 100!
Trainz Version: 2010

Re: Great British Railway Journeys (N.Ireland/Ireland)

Post by rjhowie »

Well I am a long delayed fan of their rail and have built the 6 lines of the NIRailways and working on 3 routes over the Border on IR. Ulster is the worst pat of GB for a history of rail closures and whole areas of that place are rail dead. Even a large petition to get a part line from Portadown to Armagh brought back has got nowhere. As a wee boy I can remember that Portadown wasn't just a through station on the road south it was a major junction and routes went 4 ways!

When rail was nationalised away back in 1948 it was patently obvious that Stormont had little interest in rail and I along with others tended to agree with the suggestion that when they initially set up the UTA (Ulster Transport for buses and trains) the hierarchy were mostly bus people. Some decades ago the UTA was replaced by Ulsterbus and N. Ireland railways both still State and under a joint control.

After a long time of nothing much happening in more modern times trains were eventually replaced by more modern ones and stations seen to as well. Passenger numbers are better than years ago. Although I have completed the NIR system including the suspended Crumlin route (which they hope to have back one day)and extended over the Border into IR. So it may be the worse place for long ago closures I am seeing that the Province (and 3 lines in the south) will be well represented on Trainz!

www.northernirelandrailwaysim.moonfruit.com